How To Convince The Misses That U Need A Boat

Leosonfire

Gday legends!

sooo how do u convince the better half that u need a boat?

Is it;

1. that u will be providing a plentiful supply of fresh fish for the family 

2. It will be good for your mental health

3. u will obsess 

4. u will be gone for long periods of time

5. all your spare cash will be spent on tackle 

6. Bunnings will no longer be your favourite store

7. utube will now eat your data not xtube 

8. the second car will now sit on the street instead of the garage 

9. When u are home, you will spend nights tinkering with your new toy

10. fishing in a boat is safer than my yak

now she wants a cost benefit analysis so if that’s what she wants that’s what she’ll get!  So if you have a spare moment please help me in preparing this report 😃 all comments will benefit my cause...just think of it as a go fund me page without actually coughing up hard earned.

forever grateful 

Leon

I pondered my response to this overnight. I think you should set a budget for yourself and then tell the mrs double that figure. When you find one for your budget you can explain that you got a good deal and saved $X which will impress her.

Now to get to the point where you're given the OK... It's a good idea to get a boat so you can entertain the kids  when they're old enough. In the meantime you will be getting invaluable experience in your area so when you do take them out it will be much safer.

In addition to that -

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10

will apply to her benefit.

Hey Leosonfire

I do not know. Nothing like this has worked with my parents except the response, "Well, I'm just going to clean the scout dunnies until I have enough!". Obviously if I ever had a missus... OK, I don't know. Maybe 2 should be a big one. It is good for my mental health.

Like ellicat said though, it will give you great experience and when your kids are old enough they'll have great fun too. I know when myself, brother, sister, and Dad are out of the house she likes it!

In the mean time, I'd read up on the boating rules and learn as much as you can.

Cheers Hamish

32 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I pondered my response to this overnight. I think you should set a budget for yourself and then tell the mrs double that figure. When you find one for your budget you can explain that you got a good deal and saved $X which will impress her.

Now to get to the point where you're given the OK... It's a good idea to get a boat so you can entertain the kids  when they're old enough. In the meantime you will be getting invaluable experience in your area so when you do take them out it will be much safer.

In addition to that -

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10

will apply to her benefit.

Wise words from the accountant 😝

3 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Leosonfire

I do not know. Nothing like this has worked with my parents except the response, "Well, I'm just going to clean the scout dunnies until I have enough!". Obviously if I ever had a missus... OK, I don't know. Maybe 2 should be a big one. It is good for my mental health.

Like ellicat said though, it will give you great experience and when your kids are old enough they'll have great fun too. I know when myself, brother, sister, and Dad are out of the house she likes it!

In the mean time, I'd read up on the boating rules and learn as much as you can.

Cheers Hamish

Hamdog! Great point it will get the kids out of your hair 👍 

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Don't forget to mention that the more skills you will develop on your boat the more life skills you can pass on to your kids setting them up to be independently able to forage for their own food, teaching them about survival skills, reading the weather and it's consequences, increasing their knowledge and appreciation of the environment around them, lastly you need the biggest boat you can afford as it will be much safer and more comfortable for them all. Just don't mention when you are actually going to take the kiddies out. 😀 Which could be a while as you need to learn all these skill so the family will be safe when you eventually take them out!

Look at this way if you get the kiddies enjoying themselves on the boat it will work to your advantage too, the kids will want to go out on the boat frequently, the missus will come along to look after them and you will also get fed in the process, and whilst they are enjoying the shallows on some beach you will be at the other end with a rod in your hand. A win/win situation, and quality family time together(for the most part).

Besides @Old Scaley, it's not lying, it is just being selective in what you tell her and just manipulating the facts to fit the story! 😀 and isn't that the main requirement for staying married!!!😀

Brilliant 

55 minutes ago, GregOug said:

If you spent a higher budget you could get a boat she could invite her friends out on. ‘Think of it, dear, off to Tangalooma for the day, a quick swim in the crystal clear waters,  lunch and a Chardonnay or two at the bar and a leisurely drive back to end a perfect day. Your friends will be envious!’ It’s worth a try at least and I always find if you aim for the sky and then scale it back somewhat later on, she feels like you have listened to her better judgement and compromised.

Love it

6 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I do not know. Nothing like this has worked with my parents .,

Hey Hamish, tell them you are interested in becoming a Fishing writer/presenter so that way they are contributing to your knowledge and by getting a bigger boat you will experience and gain new knowledge which will contribute to your career! So it will be an investment in your education, not to mention quality time with the family (you know the father/son bonding thing) Don't be shy about laying a small guilt trip on him occasionally if he doesn't bite!😀

As your dad will be operating it it will mean that he is also contributing to your knowledge and seamanship so in effect ensuring your safety later on when you get your own boat! It's worth a shot!!

11 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

Tell her its for family safety not just yours.

Yep, safety, safety, safety 🙂 Oh that and once there old enough that, you can only take all of them on your own (ie. the wife then gets free time to herself) if the boat is big enough to legally take all of you (you can imbellish the truth here regarding how big it needs to be to take all of you ...... 🙂).  Good luck!!

24 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, safety, safety, safety 🙂 Oh that and once there old enough that, you can only take all of them on your own (ie. the wife then gets free time to herself) if the boat is big enough to legally take all of you (you can imbellish the truth here regarding how big it needs to be to take all of you ...... 🙂).  Good luck!!

Sound advice......seems like u may have used this in the past 😛

5 hours ago, GregOug said:

If you spent a higher budget you could get a boat she could invite her friends out on. ‘Think of it, dear, off to Tangalooma for the day, a quick swim in the crystal clear waters,  lunch and a Chardonnay or two at the bar and a leisurely drive back to end a perfect day. Your friends will be envious!’ It’s worth a try at least and I always find if you aim for the sky and then scale it back somewhat later on, she feels like you have listened to her better judgement and compromised.

I like your thinking 🤔 

Just the other day the world health organisation recommended a boat as the best way to avoid corona virus.  

You heard a voice from above warning of the flood of all floods coming in 6mths. 

It's better to go fishing/boating than to become a bar fly at the local pub.

Best one though......she can spend the equivalent on whatever she wants. 

3 hours ago, Junky said:

Just the other day the world health organisation recommended a boat as the best way to avoid corona virus.  

You heard a voice from above warning of the flood of all floods coming in 6mths. 

It's better to go fishing/boating than to become a bar fly at the local pub.

Best one though......she can spend the equivalent on whatever she wants. 

I always thought I had a direct line to the big man 👨 

Mate if the kids are into the fishing - there’s a massive pro. It’s not a boat for you - it’s a boat for the family. By the time the kids get a bit older you may have another “Hamish” on your hands (or me at the same age to be fair) in which case the boat will pay for itself 100000 times over.

also point out the benefit of getting a “future proof” boat - I.e one that can accommodate two or three teenagers in the future. So a 3.7m tinny might not be the best option.

Re point 7 - ummm... you know there’s plans you get that have like 80gb these days yeah...? I guess by a simple process of deduction another pro is a huge reduction in purchases of Vaseline intensive care moisturizer?

also - maybe do what @ellicat did - pretend you’ll give up the smokes to cover the cost... 😛😛😛 just jokes brian - I know you are actually trying and a 33% reduction is a big step in the right direction. 

17 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hey Hamish, tell them you are interested in becoming a Fishing writer/presenter so that way they are contributing to your knowledge and by getting a bigger boat you will experience and gain new knowledge which will contribute to your career! So it will be an investment in your education, not to mention quality time with the family (you know the father/son bonding thing) Don't be shy about laying a small guilt trip on him occasionally if he doesn't bite!😀

As your dad will be operating it it will mean that he is also contributing to your knowledge and seamanship so in effect ensuring your safety later on when you get your own boat! It's worth a shot!!

Thanks for the advice Ed., I'll try that on them discreetly enough so they get hints but not so they get annoyed!

8 hours ago, benno573 said:

By the time the kids get a bit older you may have another “Hamish” on your hands (or me at the same age to be fair) in which case the boat will pay for itself 100000 times over.

Hi benno573

The only problem with this I've found so far is when you get keener than your Dad. Obviously that isn't going to happen with anyone on here though...😉

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Bood said:

Yeah man still together lol.....  I just told her I want to rip the floor out and rebuild it, and rewire the electrics... she’s not impressed lol

Good luck ...... you could probably set up a swag under our house if things don't work out ......... 🤣  Could probably squeeze your tinny in the backyard too ......

Edited by kmcrosby78

4 hours ago, Bood said:

Yeah man still together lol.....  I just told her I want to rip the floor out and rebuild it, and rewire the electrics... she’s not impressed lol

I just told my wife I’m getting an electric anchor winch put in. I think I’m still getting dinner tonight. Not sure. Didn’t mention upgrading to a 9” GPS as well. I mean, she wouldn’t really understand that one so why bother. Lol.

13 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I just told my wife I’m getting an electric anchor winch put in. I think I’m still getting dinner tonight. Not sure. Didn’t mention upgrading to a 9” GPS as well. I mean, she wouldn’t really understand that one so why bother. Lol.

Your wife obviously doesn't go on this forum does she? 😀

54 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Just tell her the 9” is like a tv... she will go for it