White All Around Light Options

Drop Bear

So now that the competition is all serious and stuff I'm felling all motivated to do some night fishing on the river. Southside forever!!!

winning GIF

The only problem I have is my white all around light has gone AWoL.

It have/had one of those plug in aluminium poles. At best it is always on the blink but last time I fished at night it bounced out and sadly has made a very small and likely unconvincing artificial reef. 

So, after my unnecessarily long preamble, does anyone have any tips on a good White all round light for my tinny? I am happy to put some money and effort into it if it is a permanent fix. 

Hey Drop Bear

Maybe a fix as simple as putting double sided tape on it so it stays still would do they job? When we go out at night time on the yak we just have a lantern attached to some wood. Lol. 

Maybe South Side should fish the river sometime in the comp. Hopefully you can nail some of the target species 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

@Drop Bear, the extendable poles are not too bad but you need to maintain the connection on the boat so that the contacts still move on the springs. I give it a shot of silicon spray every month or so. Also, you need to tighten them in when using them by screwing down that black plastic locking thingo (technical term).

Yep, I agree Steve. I managed to go through three of them when I had my tinny, although once I started spraying it more often the life was extended (go figure .... 🙂). I got into the habit of checking it the night before I was going fishing, and always kept an old toothbrush in the boat that I could use to rub the blue corrosion of the pins inside the terminal when needed. And yep, make sure it is screwed in nice and tight to prevent falling out (and take it out for the road trip home) 🙂 

6 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Drop Bear

Maybe a fix as simple as putting double sided tape on it so it stays still would do they job? When we go out at night time on the yak we just have a lantern attached to some wood. Lol. 

Maybe South Side should fish the river sometime in the comp. Hopefully you can nail some of the target species 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

But only the South Side of the river!

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

@Drop Bear, the extendable poles are not too bad but you need to maintain the connection on the boat so that the contacts still move on the springs. I give it a shot of silicon spray every month or so. Also, you need to tighten them in when using them by screwing down that black plastic locking thingo (technical term).

my one didn't have one of those locking thingos and it fell out. It sure is the easiest solution. 

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, I agree Steve. I managed to go through three of them when I had my tinny, although once I started spraying it more often the life was extended (go figure .... 🙂). I got into the habit of checking it the night before I was going fishing, and always kept an old toothbrush in the boat that I could use to rub the blue corrosion of the pins inside the terminal when needed. And yep, make sure it is screwed in nice and tight to prevent falling out (and take it out for the road trip home) 🙂 

All things I will forget to do... But I will try that thanks. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Is it possible to fish 24 hours a day for 29 days straight? Sounds ideal! I think i will need to purchase stronger coffee!

Whatever it takes!

Anything less would just be SOFT ....... which you'd suspect from the north shore latte sippers, but not us ..... 😜

• 5 months later...
On 15/08/2020 at 7:56 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

With the removable extendable poles - would dielectric graze help prevent green death on terminals as I also have the issue for my electric motor plug

10 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

It would help prevent it, however I found this - Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

So you'd need to wipe it off before use probably, and still may cause issues if you can't remove it all from the socket. I used Inox spray which seemed to work well.

Yeah i I’ll give inox a go

On 15/08/2020 at 1:15 PM, Drop Bear said:

So now that the competition is all serious and stuff I'm felling all motivated to do some night fishing on the river. Southside forever!!!

winning GIF

The only problem I have is my white all around light has gone AWoL.

It have/had one of those plug in aluminium poles. At best it is always on the blink but last time I fished at night it bounced out and sadly has made a very small and likely unconvincing artificial reef. 

So, after my unnecessarily long preamble, does anyone have any tips on a good White all round light for my tinny? I am happy to put some money and effort into it if it is a permanent fix. 

I know it isn’t exactly legal...... a bloke I know uses a broom handle with a led solar garden light.....