cheap barra reel ?

buzzid

hey guys,

can someone recommend a \"bottom of the budget barrel\" baitcaster that will handle monduran barra. mrs and i are heading up there over xmas and now she wants her own setup, i have a rod for her but need a reel that she can play around with. don't want to spend a lot coz i can see it now, she'll use it for 10 minutes each day then the boredom will set in and she'll never use it again.

thanks guys.

buzz

Dan23 wrote:

I have a 30 year old Abu barrel that out casts Kevin's $700 super reels. Don't know if they are as good now but today's equivilent is just over $100 from Kmart.

I've got one of those new ones,seams to cast pretty well,I am sure it would cast better when I get used to it.I hooked up a brizzie river wharf with it the other night:)

If your budget allows, the Abu Garcia Revo STX would be an awesome Barra reel. In fact, you could give your reel to your wife, and buy the Revo STX for youself;) .

For the STX, it is $249 off Motackle http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=2256.

It is a bit expensive, but it can put on a massive 21 pounds (9.5 kilos:ohmy:) of drag which is incredible for a low profile baitcaster. I am thinking of saving up for one. I read about them in QFM or Bush'n'Beach and I desperatly wanted one, but I need other stuff first:unsure:.

So that would be an awesome reel, but it is a bit expensive for something that might only be used once.

If it is only going to be a one off reel, the Pfluegar Echelon would be your best bet for a low-profile reel http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=146. And it is only $89 off Motackle:cheer: . I can't comment on the round styles tho.

thanks for the suggestions guys. i'm looking at a catalogue i got sent to me today from jones' tackle at lutwyche, they got a Abu silvermax baitcaster for $99, its a low profile thing, holds 130m of 6kg, that should be enough line hey? if they(the fish) get anymore than 60-ish she'd be wrapped up in timber yeah? any thoughts on this reel?

buzz

Malcolm wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
I have a 30 year old Abu barrel that out casts Kevin's $700 super reels. Don't know if they are as good now but today's equivilent is just over $100 from Kmart.

I've got one of those new ones,seams to cast pretty well,I am sure it would cast better when I get used to it.I hooked up a brizzie river wharf with it the other night:)

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: I didn't hear it pulling any drag either - must have some decent drag settings - it was a big wharf too:P :laugh:

Archived