Fraser Island Camping

GregOug

Hi one,

Depends what you like in a campsite. Do you want to camp where others are, as they will be the ones with toilet and shower, or do you prefer a more private/secluded site ? There are no camp fires allowed on Fraser except at Waddy Pt (right up north) and Dundubara and you have to bring your own firewood.

If you don't want a campfire and you are happy to have a private self-sufficient camp then you can go to Happy Valley where you can have a public shower, use the toilet and get drinking water. The island is broken up into camp zones where you can just pitch your tent in behind the dunes or at the back of the beach. There's also the Cathedrals area that has some basic amenities in the 'township'.

Probably just me, but I've never had much luck with the tailor in the gutters on Fraser except at the Maheno wreck and Indian Head. Theory is to find a good gutter and you will find the tailor, so you won't know where the good gutters are until you're there and can see what the recent weather and tides has provided.

Wasn't planning a trip up there but you have planted a seed.

Something else you could consider is going to Moreton where there's less traffic and people. The Northpoint  campground provides good toilet and (cold) shower facilities as well as drinking water, but again, no fires. However I think if there is no ban on you are allowed to fireup down the beach. (Don't hold me to that - I'd have to check to be sure).

Edit. Can't go then as I have some stuff on in Brissy. Bugger. What dates are you planning on being there ?

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Hi one,

Depends what you like in a campsite. Do you want to camp where others are, as they will be the ones with toilet and shower, or do you prefer a more private/secluded site ? There are no camp fires allowed on Fraser except at Waddy Pt (right up north) and Dundubara and you have to bring your own firewood.

If you don't want a campfire and you are happy to have a private self-sufficient camp then you can go to Happy Valley where you can have a public shower, use the toilet and get drinking water. The island is broken up into camp zones where you can just pitch your tent in behind the dunes or at the back of the beach. There's also the Cathedrals area that has some basic amenities in the 'township'.

Probably just me, but I've never had much luck with the tailor in the gutters on Fraser except at the Maheno wreck and Indian Head. Theory is to find a good gutter and you will find the tailor, so you won't know where the good gutters are until you're there and can see what the recent weather and tides has provided.

Wasn't planning a trip up there but you have planted a seed.

Something else you could consider is going to Moreton where there's less traffic and people. The Northpoint  campground provides good toilet and (cold) shower facilities as well as drinking water, but again, no fires. However I think if there is no ban on you are allowed to fireup down the beach. (Don't hold me to that - I'd have to check to be sure).

Edit. Can't go then as I have some stuff on in Brissy. Bugger. What dates are you planning on being there ?

Either Sunday, 30/8 or the following Sunday, 6/9. Also looking at possibly renting a house now.

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

Either Sunday, 30/8 or the following Sunday, 6/9. Also looking at possibly renting a house now.

We have rented houses at Happy Valley and it was a great holiday. I don't have any specific info on camp sites on the Eastern Beaches. If you want the Western ones I can give you more info. 

Sounds like a great trip mate. I look forward to the pics of huge greenbacks. 

7 hours ago, GregOug said:

So it looks like we are going to Fraser on 30/8 staying 3 nights. Decided to get a house. Getting too old for that camping malarkey. Probably need to buy at least one or two surf rods. Any suggestions? Not too expensive as they will only get used every few years.

I have a few rods you could borrow if you like. they are old fibreglass surf rods so not nice but work fine. I have some Alveys you could borrow too. 

If you want to purchase some there is a guy here in Wynnum that makes some great rods and I could direct you to him. 

Yeah...I got a 13ft Jarvis walker 2 piece spin rod you can borrow if you need. 

If it doesn't come back then it doesn't reely matter. 

Where's the house? 

Bloke from work up there last week. He was at cathedrals and had a hard time.

Apparently the action was down south of maheno and Eli. 

Oh....and 3 nights is nowhere near enough time on fraser. 

2 hours ago, Junky said:

Yeah...I got a 13ft Jarvis walker 2 piece spin rod you can borrow if you need. 

If it doesn't come back then it doesn't reely matter. 

Where's the house? 

Bloke from work up there last week. He was at cathedrals and had a hard time.

Apparently the action was down south of maheno and Eli. 

Oh....and 3 nights is nowhere near enough time on fraser. 

The house is at Eurong. Thanks for the tip about where they were. Might come in handy. Would appreciate the lend of the rod. Can you pm me your address and when you will be home please?

6 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hi Greg, if you have a castable  overhead reel, I have an 2 piece 13 foot 10-15kg 85-225gram casting weight overhead surf rod you can borrow when you go on your trip up to Frazer.

Cheers

Ed.

I do have castable overheads. That’s not to say I’ll necessarily be able to cast with them though. Lol. Would appreciate a lend. Can you pm me your address and when you will be home please? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have a few rods you could borrow if you like. they are old fibreglass surf rods so not nice but work fine. I have some Alveys you could borrow too. 

If you want to purchase some there is a guy here in Wynnum that makes some great rods and I could direct you to him. 

Thanks @Drop Bear. That would be good. Can you pm me with your address and when you will be home please?

8 hours ago, GregOug said:

Any tips on rigging for tailor? Been so long since I’ve been to Fraser I’ve forgotten what’s best. What size and number of hooks to suit the average pilly? Trace or no trace, and if so, wire or leader? Any other things you’ve found works.

I mostly don't use bait for tailor anymore and just throw slugs with a fairly fast retrieve. They cast further and easier and its less mucking around and a lot of the time you will out fish the bait. Its more work as you need to put in a lot more casts. 

Young Pete at mossops in Cleveland set me up a "Pete special" rig. It allows for long casts with bait. You can use that too if you like. 

Apparently it is the ducks guts for bait fishing.

I tried it once on Straddie but didn't catch anything. It was washing machine conditions making it extremely hard to fish. 

The rig worked as it was supposed to though. 

The hook is just something I tied on for the pick. Normally you would clip your last gang hook in there. 

When it hits the water the force pushes the red tab up and releases the hook. 

The claws on the sinker fold back too so if it gets caught on coffee rock or something just give it a forceful tug and the claw will fold back. 

Resized_20200822_075240.jpeg

Resized_20200822_075430.jpeg

^^ now that is different. Not sure I totally get it but looks interesting. @GregOug, if you are interested in making some baitfish casting rigs for tailor, the August edition of Fishing Monthly has a feature article with a step by step guide to making some good looking gang rigs. You might find an alternative use for your nail polish.🤣

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I mostly don't use bait for tailor anymore and just throw slugs with a fairly fast retrieve. They cast further and easier and its less mucking around and a lot of the time you will out fish the bait. Its more work as you need to put in a lot more casts. 

Work? Me? 

Thanks @Drop Bear. Might check some out at BCF.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

^^ now that is different. Not sure I totally get it but looks interesting. @GregOug, if you are interested in making some baitfish casting rigs for tailor, the August edition of Fishing Monthly has a feature article with a step by step guide to making some good looking gang rigs. You might find an alternative use for your nail polish.🤣

But I need that for my nails! They might break.

Thanks @Old Scaley

2 hours ago, Junky said:

Young Pete at mossops in Cleveland set me up a "Pete special" rig. It allows for long casts with bait. You can use that too if you like. 

Apparently it is the ducks guts for bait fishing.

I tried it once on Straddie but didn't catch anything. It was washing machine conditions making it extremely hard to fish. 

The rig worked as it was supposed to though. 

The hook is just something I tied on for the pick. Normally you would clip your last gang hook in there. 

When it hits the water the force pushes the red tab up and releases the hook. 

The claws on the sinker fold back too so if it gets caught on coffee rock or something just give it a forceful tug and the claw will fold back. 

Resized_20200822_075240.jpeg

Resized_20200822_075430.jpeg

I’m intrigued. Is it designed to cast further than normal with a bait on or what?

It keeps the bait down tight with the sinker when casting. No whipping etc. 

As soon as it enters the water the red circular disc is forced up opening the gate and forcing the hook out. 

The claws dig into sand giving it a good anchor. 

Basically a 3 way swivel on top end on a silde bait setup. 

It's different but apparently works well.....so I was sold....cough cough....told. 

Very simple when you see it work.