Boating Limitations And Kings Point

ggg

Hello everyone,

I will be looking at a 4.5m Savage Jabiru on the weekend (chose to go bigger). Would I be able to hit Kings Point (Cape Grafton) in Cairns? Has anyone had experience with these boats and can give me a good opinion? The boat comes with a 7 inch Garmin unit (with sidescan and all the goods) and an electric on the bow (just a watersnake with no spotlock). It has a 30hp Yamaha which may need replacing in a few years (cowling is faded but motor supposedly runs well). 

Thanks and tight lines.

I would be considering the option to upgrade to a spot lock version, admittedly I haven't used one but from what I have seen on their use they would be brilliant. In my opinion they would be worth the extra dollars. Also would be worth checking out the thrust capacity of the one offered as with most "deals" they offer the cheapest options but  not necessarily  good options.

However if it is a used package then you won't get any upgrade options. So weigh up the cost of upgrades to get a functional good working boat  compared to a more expensive one with more bells and whistles. The cheapest one is not always the best in the long run, especially if you think it may require an engine replacement in the near future.

Okay. We are sort of considering selling the electric if we purchase the boat. 30hp is sort of under-powered but the boat isn't a reef boat. It's really a fishing platform made for live baiting and lure fishing. Luckily Kings Point is on the coast so I should be fine to get there. I want to do some more research as I have never fished the spot myself and my family member (who has the spot) hasn't fished it in 20 years. He said that the weather was much different back then. You could still go out to the reef in high winds as the swell was much lower. For some reason, the swell has grown (probably climate change) over the years. I don't think I will bother getting a spotlock motor (unless it's a cheap secondhand one) as I can't justify spending that money for a little tinny when I can just use 2 anchors. I'd rather save it or spend it on a better outboard down the track. I want to get a sea trial just to make sure the boat will plane with the outboard. It is a 2 stroke so should have some grunt.

Hi mate, Is it the 30hp yamaha 3 cylinder 2 stroke? If so i have had one since 2004 when bought it brand new out of the dealership. It was my first "big purchase" being 15. Anyway, i have flogged it ever since. I only give it a service once a year and a flush out every couple of months. If it has good compression, give it a service and i cant see why it couldnt be a good engine for you. 

I assume your talkng about the 440 jabiru? I have never owned or ridden in one but seeing as it is a punt style boat i reckon it would bang your teeth out with a bit of sea. In nice weather it would probably be fine. A fishing monthly article reckons they get 27 knots out of one with a 40 so i reckon you get around 23 knots out of a 30.

I would be checking for cracks along keel weld, transome weld, ribs, etc. 

Happy boat hunting

Regards,

Some good advice above mate. Just my 2c worth.

I got to spend some time at Point Grafton a few years ago... perhaps 10? Beautiful beach near there. Such a great spot. 

It gets very exposed there and the seas are rough. Forgive me if I have it wrong but I think Jabaru are a still water boat with very low gunnels and is a v nose punts? 

If this is the case, if it was up to me, I would not purchase this boat for going in that area. I know its behind the reef but it is very exposed in any wind with an E in it and gets pretty willing. 

I also feel that a 30hp is a little under-powered for a 4.5m if you are going out to Point Grafton. It would likely be ok in the rivers but I wouldn't be taking it outside. 

I hope that my opinion is not too disappointing but feel you would be better purchasing a deeper v tinny for that sort of exposed waters. 

Thanks guys. I am a tough, fish- hungry teenager so have no care for been comfortable. My father on the other hand would probably prefer to just keep it in the creeks. The motor is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke. I have some photos of the boat. Maybe it looks just got the length wrong? I will get a sea trial done and if I don’t like it, I will shop around. I am in no rush. Really, if I don’t find a good deal in 5 months, I am just going to save up for something at least 5m I can hit the reef in. It’s a private sale as well. 

AB12B819-D26C-408F-BD8B-0676368FA72F.png

EF05917B-9377-4EB0-97ED-7FC325E9F3AB.png

Looking at the weather report looks like it'll be pretty rough out there this weekend. I'd be maybe sitting on live baits in a deep hole in the inlet at the very low tide around lunch time for fingermark - like off the sugar wharf. Seem to be massive fingermark in the inlet at the moment, and you'd be out of the wind.

Or possibly do a dawn high tide on the flats off the hospital for grunter and salmon.

Some of the seafood shops are selling yellowtail up from Cardwell at the moment - if it were me I reckon I'd sit on a fresh yellowtail fillet in either spots; the fish seem to love it.

I'm landbased so won't be doing any fishing till the wind drops. 

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

Mate, don’t buy a punt and expect to go out in any sort of sea or wind. Wait for something better.

A v-nose punt isn’t ideal, I know. But the boat is an excellent price and if it’s in good condition, I will get a sea trial. I have done some research and found they don’t ride as badly as people say. You need to be parallel to the waves and they ride perfect. They aren’t good head on or on the quarter.  I talked to some people and they have been out to the reef in a 3.9m tinny and out to Fitzroy Island on a 14ft flat bottom punt. If the weather is 5-10 knots, you can go as far as your fuel will allow. Anyways, if the boat has anything wrong with it, I will leave it.

26 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

That's all well and good if the forecast is correct at 5-10 knots... one day it WILL be wrong and you'll be kilometers from help and wishing you waited a bit longer for that 5m deep sided V hull with plenty of horse power at the back to get you out of trouble.

That's the kind of boat you see upturned on the news.

Excuse the abruptness, it comes from a place of care and knowing what it's like to be in those situations in a 420 renegade with 50hp (with much higher sides than that jabiru mind you). I took on waves a few times, and nope, riding parallel to waves will not save you when wind v tide kicks in, only a more competent vessel will. 

Good luck!  

I second that. 

Thanks for the advice. There are a few sand cays around the reefs that I could take shelter in (fishing Kings Point is no problem due to the bay right next to it which shelters the Southerlies). Along with the tinny we are looking at on Sunday, we are planning on looking at a 4.5m Yalta Craft halfcab. I rang the bloke up so just have to tee up a time. My mate has a 6.2m Yalta Craft and it rides fantastically. The boat has a 1998 Merc on it so we are planning on selling it for a more reliable motor. It could be a bit overpowered with 115hp. I like how the transom is also reinforced with steel as it gives it longevity.

18 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

That's all well and good if the forecast is correct at 5-10 knots... one day it WILL be wrong and you'll be kilometers from help and wishing you waited a bit longer for that 5m deep sided V hull with plenty of horse power at the back to get you out of trouble.

That's the kind of boat you see upturned on the news.

Excuse the abruptness, it comes from a place of care and knowing what it's like to be in those situations in a 420 renegade with 50hp (with much higher sides than that jabiru mind you). I took on waves a few times, and nope, riding parallel to waves will not save you when wind v tide kicks in, only a more competent vessel will. 

Good luck!  

Third. Well said Sam

7 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

Thanks for the advice. There are a few sand cays around the reefs that I could take shelter in (fishing Kings Point is no problem due to the bay right next to it which shelters the Southerlies). Along with the tinny we are looking at on Sunday, we are planning on looking at a 4.5m Yalta Craft halfcab. I rang the bloke up so just have to tee up a time. My mate has a 6.2m Yalta Craft and it rides fantastically. The boat has a 1998 Merc on it so we are planning on selling it for a more reliable motor. It could be a bit overpowered with 115hp. I like how the transom is also reinforced with steel as it gives it longevity.

I have spent a fair bit of time on a few Yatla Craft and can vouch they are a well turned out boat. Cant go wrong. Good luck mate. 

I don't know the area you are planning to fish mate, but what is your budget (ideally), what lengthy (ideally) are you after, how many people will be fishing out of it? Also how long have you been looking for? I'd think if you remain patient you should get something that is well suited to your needs for the right place.   

Check the service history of the 1998 Merc. My tinny that I sold had a 1992 Johnson and it was still going strong.

On 27/08/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jaz44 said:

A v-nose punt isn’t ideal, I know. But the boat is an excellent price and if it’s in good condition, I will get a sea trial. I have done some research and found they don’t ride as badly as people say. You need to be parallel to the waves and they ride perfect. They aren’t good head on or on the quarter.  I talked to some people and they have been out to the reef in a 3.9m tinny and out to Fitzroy Island on a 14ft flat bottom punt. If the weather is 5-10 knots, you can go as far as your fuel will allow. Anyways, if the boat has anything wrong with it, I will leave it.

Yeah the guys above are spot on. It only takes one time for the weather to turn sour on you to make a great day on the water turn deadly. For 5 years i went a lot further offshore than my seawasp was designed to. I recently posted about what happend to me when i got caught out. The 5m is a much more suitable boat, you will thank yourself for it later. 

P.s A week or two ago 2 guys died after their 3.8m boat overturned in moreton bay. Sadly this is the reality of what happends when you come under pre-pared. 

Happy boat hunting

Regards,

The plan is to spend about 6 grand or less on something bigger than 4.2m. It needs to be able to fish a minimum of 3 people. I think you can fish 4 in the Yalta Craft. He has it for $7500 now but, when I rang him up to talk about buying hull and trailer only, he said he could do $6500 for the lot. How much do you think the outboard is worth? It was serviced in the last 6 months. I need to check the history though. I am not paying $6500 for the lot anyway. I am going to offer cash if it’s any good and get a better deal. I’ve only been looking for about a month or two. I am going to give myself 6 more months until I save for a bigger boat. 

Edited by Jaz44
Content

On 24/08/2020 at 11:59 AM, Jaz44 said:

Luckily Kings Point is on the coast so I should be fine to get there. I want to do some more research as I have never fished the spot myself and my family member (who has the spot) hasn't fished it in 20 years. 

Just had a thought - it could be worth looking at how much a hire boat is and head out to your spot in one to get a feel for what sort/size/layout of boat will best suit the area. 

Out of interest, how much were they after for that punt? I've just had a quick look at Gumtree and Boatsales and am surprised at the lack of boats for sale, however that could also be the case down here in Brisbane. I know a guy who owns a boatyard and they have recently (not sure if still the case) sold a heap of boats since Covid began but then had their lowest stock levels in his 21 years there so it could make it a bit harder at the moment to get a good deal. I would try to work out exactly what you want (or narrow it down) and then check ads regularly and act quickly once you see one at the right price.

They wanted $4500 but we were going to offer $4000 cash. There is a nice 4.6m aluminium centre console about 4 hours drive from me. It has a 70hp evinrude. The only problem is driving down for a look. My parents aren’t that keen on a huge drive to look at a boat. I’d rather the centre console though for the added fishing room. I am not going to offer the Yalta Craft guy much as I am not super keen on a half cab. Especially for estuary fishing.  

20 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

They wanted $4500 but we were going to offer $4000 cash. There is a nice 4.6m aluminium centre console about 4 hours drive from me. It has a 70hp evinrude. The only problem is driving down for a look. My parents aren’t that keen on a huge drive to look at a boat. I’d rather the centre console though for the added fishing room. I am not going to offer the Yalta Craft guy much as I am not super keen on a half cab. Especially for estuary fishing.  

Good luck mate. Buying a boat on a budget is really hard and can take ages. If you can, try and be patient. Buying the wrong boat really sucks. 

1 hour ago, Jaz44 said:

Yeah. Not enough fishing room on the Yalta Craft. Didn’t bother. There is as 4.5m Quinnie sitting in a family members neighbours backyard. It has been there for 3 years just sitting there. I am going to make an offer. They have never used it and the motor is shot. It’s. I side console and very beamy. 

Good boat if you can re power it. 

Yeah. It’s a 75hp Mariner now. There are a few outboards in my area that would suit. I am confident we can buy the boat for a good price. Even $2750 wouldn’t be a horrible deal. Obviously I am going to start much lower and work my way up.  The boat is just going to waste, I am sure the people will want to see it go. 

2 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

Yeah. It’s a 75hp Mariner now. There are a few outboards in my area that would suit. I am confident we can buy the boat for a good price. Even $2750 wouldn’t be a horrible deal. Obviously I am going to start much lower and work my way up.  The boat is just going to waste, I am sure the people will want to see it go. 

Sounds alright, refer to my other post about cracks when you go for a look.

8 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

Okay. Where is that post? I couldn’t find it. 

"Hi mate, Is it the 30hp yamaha 3 cylinder 2 stroke? If so i have had one since 2004 when bought it brand new out of the dealership. It was my first "big purchase" being 15. Anyway, i have flogged it ever since. I only give it a service once a year and a flush out every couple of months. If it has good compression, give it a service and i cant see why it couldnt be a good engine for you. 

I assume your talkng about the 440 jabiru? I have never owned or ridden in one but seeing as it is a punt style boat i reckon it would bang your teeth out with a bit of sea. In nice weather it would probably be fine. A fishing monthly article reckons they get 27 knots out of one with a 40 so i reckon you get around 23 knots out of a 30.

I would be checking for cracks along keel weld, transome weld, ribs, etc. 

Happy boat hunting

Regards,"