What Pound Leader Should I Use

Brodie_S

I spooled up 8lb braid yesterday on my daiwa 2500 reel that’s matched to a 2-4kg daiwa TD Hyper Nero version I’m wondering what to use this combo for and the what lb leader I should tie on with this combo note I have used the rod before with a smaller reel and much lighter line and it handles large fish fine . Also I’ll write down my other combos to give a rough idea what I have 

combo 1 

Shimano 1000 reel

1.5-3.5kg rod

6lb braid and 4-6lb leader

combo 2 

Shimano 2500 reel 

2-4kg rod

10lb braid and 12-20lb leader note the reel has a lot of line capacity and the rod can also handle very large fish it handles fish more like a 2-5 or 3-5kg rod

combo 3

daiwa 2500 reel more like 2000

2-4kg rod 

8lb braid and ??? Leader 

Yeah I have a daiwa RZ 6-9kg rod i recently bought it can Match’s well with a 2500-4000 size reel but atm I have a cheap 6000 eBay reel with cheap thick mono that has the worst line lay and weighs a tone so in the future I will probably end up getting a 4000 sienna or Sedona or something like that and spool it with 20lb braid for that rod . Also the rod is graphite and works well with soft plastics and vibes it’s 7 foot I’ve only caught baby queenfish with it so far which I was almost able to skull drag em 

6 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I have a daiwa RZ 6-9kg rod i recently bought it can Match’s well with a 2500-4000 size reel but atm I have a cheap 6000 eBay reel with cheap thick mono that has the worst line lay and weighs a tone so in the future I will probably end up getting a 4000 sienna or Sedona or something like that and spool it with 20lb braid for that rod . Also the rod is graphite and works well with soft plastics and vibes it’s 7 foot I’ve only caught baby queenfish with it so far which I was almost able to skull drag em 

Perfect!

8 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Hey Breaming with bro

An OK heavy reel is the Penn 650 SSM. It has good drag, casts quite well, and can take a lot of 20-30lb braid. I don’t find heaviness an issue but then again I mainly live bait with it.

Oh, and I got mine for ninety bucks so they won’t blow the bank. I guess if you’re doing lure fishing on it you could struggle.

Cheers Hamish

50 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I think I’ll with a sienna FG 4000 as there slightly better in terms of gearing and design then the fe sienna idk why but then the sienna FG reels when they first came out they felt like crap but they feel a lot more rigid now and a lot smoother to

Sienna are a good budget reel. Look after it and it will last for years. 

Yeah I hope shimano bring out a new Sedona in 2021 a common theme I found with shimano they will upgrade their older reels every 4-5 years I also hope shimano reels start using screw in handles in their cheaper reels Nasci and below since daiwa’s been doing this recently with reels under $150 feugo lt and exceller lt