Mackerel - More Practice Needed ......

kmcrosby78

Hi kmcrosby78

Nice session, even though you didn't get many keepers. Must've still been a bit of fun out on the water with the fam 🙂 I hate it when you wake up at stupid o' clock and don't catch anything till ages later too. Lol. 

My knee is dodgy, whenever I run for a bit (especially in basketball) it goes weird and the bone feels out of shape. Then after a quick rest I do the exact same thing again 😉 

Good job on the mackie, squire, and little bream!

Cheers Hamish

5 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

No wonder Southside are killing it, they seem to be on the water a lot! has anyone from the north had a fish? I’ve had one with only a squid to report 😩

Don't worry, your fearless 'leader' @GregOug is (or at least should be, unless he's just drinking ....) no doubt compiling a match winning lead right now on Fraser Island, so fear not ........ 😁

12 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. What could that mystery fish be?

Schitts Creek What GIF by CBC

I am heading out there today so will try a few drifts with some pillies and see if the Cobias come out to play. 

Shocked What Is It GIF

I am super surprised you didn't get smashed by little macks. We got 30 last Monday in about 3 hours and 20 on Friday in about 2 hours.

Yes I was surprised too Robbie, can only assume that once the westerlies stopped they spread out again? Although, if you catch a heap today, maybe I really do simply need more practice ..... 🙄.

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Knowing GregOug, he's probably sitting in front of the fire right now (which he lit by tipping a can of petrol on some logs), enjoying a XXXX beer while seeing how much the biggest tailor at the co-op costs on his phone 😉 

Just kidding, like you kmcrosby78,  I reckon Northsiders will have the advantage after GregOug's big trip! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Funny ask Steve, but no it didn't, instead it looked rather upset at being caught at 1:30pm in the arvo, in a busy waterway with lots of boats heading back in from a day's fishing.

Me on the other hand, I had a very cheeky smile ....... 😃. All of the previous mentioned details (cast wrong way for the drift, cursed myself thinking it had caught on the motor) are true, so I am feeling very lucky to have scored my PB snapper under such circumstances. Goes to show, you never know what you could catch on any given day.

1394378041_Snapper130Aug2020.jpg.adf1329e12b8f470f23e8139a95d4a9e.jpg926162062_Snapper230Aug2020.jpg.f89db76cbb4ecff84f7eea6462449915.jpg277653032_Snapper330August2020.jpg.a3df15d550dba8fd05bed8eec9c51827.jpg460459734_Snapper430August2020.jpg.8b0887f589f87b04468777b7ebaedca0.jpg1982276282_Snapper530August2020.jpg.066ac5499e5a9afd250eeadf3738ef35.jpg

Very nice 👍 

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Thought I might be able to bask in the limelight for a little while Hamish - well, until @Allnighter and @Cobiaaddict get back out there ....... but @Junky beat me to it, luckily for us he's a Southsider 🙂.  

Had fish and chips tonight (I had both 'wings' - delicious) and going to do the head in the laksa tomorrow night. Yum!

Great way to enjoy a cracking fish mate. I love nose to tail eating. Good on ya. 

Awesome fish too mate. Congratulations. 

7 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Staying open minded catches fish! Being programmed in to going to a certain spot at a certain time doesn't always produce. And how many times have we got to that spot and caught nothing and wondered what would have happened if we stopped at those ripples on the surface or a couple of fluttering birds along the way... 

@Luvit is expert at this! Learnt lots from his approach 

Pro tips. 

On 31/08/2020 at 7:48 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Don't worry, your fearless 'leader' @GregOug is (or at least should be, unless he's just drinking ....) no doubt compiling a match winning lead right now on Fraser Island, so fear not ........ 😁

Ah. You may have hit the nail on the head there KM. It is very hard to hold a fishing rod,  wind the weed in, and also hold a stubby so I eventually saw the light and gave up.

On 31/08/2020 at 7:56 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Funny ask Steve, but no it didn't, instead it looked rather upset at being caught at 1:30pm in the arvo, in a busy waterway with lots of boats heading back in from a day's fishing.

Me on the other hand, I had a very cheeky smile ....... 😃. All of the previous mentioned details (cast wrong way for the drift, cursed myself thinking it had caught on the motor) are true, so I am feeling very lucky to have scored my PB snapper under such circumstances. Goes to show, you never know what you could catch on any given day.

1394378041_Snapper130Aug2020.jpg.adf1329e12b8f470f23e8139a95d4a9e.jpg926162062_Snapper230Aug2020.jpg.f89db76cbb4ecff84f7eea6462449915.jpg277653032_Snapper330August2020.jpg.a3df15d550dba8fd05bed8eec9c51827.jpg460459734_Snapper430August2020.jpg.8b0887f589f87b04468777b7ebaedca0.jpg1982276282_Snapper530August2020.jpg.066ac5499e5a9afd250eeadf3738ef35.jpg

Well done!

23 hours ago, GregOug said:

Have to agree with you Sam. I thought a trip to Fraser at this time of year would have produced something decent. But between the bloody weed, the groups of twenty or more 4x4s parked bumper to bumper at any halfway decent looking gutter, the fact that I only saw two fish getting caught by the hundreds of fishermen I drove past and my absolutely pathetic fishing record of late I’m not really surprised I got nothing. 

For the record, my party caught one good sized whiting, one mediocre legal tailor and four good size dart and that was it for quite a few hours of fishing. Oh well, we still had a bloody great trip. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Beautiful place isn't it. Shame about the lack of fish but that happens 😞 been quiet on straddie all week too. 

Did you check out the western side? Would be tempting to get away from the ocean side crowds 

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Beautiful place isn't it. Shame about the lack of fish but that happens 😞 been quiet on straddie all week too. 

Did you check out the western side? Would be tempting to get away from the ocean side crowds 

It is a gorgeous place. We didn’t make it to the western side because we were too busy showing my sons’ friend the eastern side!  Next time will be an inside trip I think, probably using the boat.

6 hours ago, GregOug said:

It is a gorgeous place. We didn’t make it to the western side because we were too busy showing my sons’ friend the eastern side!  Next time will be an inside trip I think, probably using the boat.

That's fair enough! Can't do it all at once, so much to see on the east. The Hervey bay flats are a special shallow water fishery... Just about the time of year the juvenile  black marlin cruise along (October- January), and have seen longtail and trevally do the same! Incredibly unique. 

In terms of having a landbased fish next time on the western side I'm pretty sure the bread and butter species are a regular catch there also. 

2 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

and have seen longtail and trevally do the same! Incredibly unique. 

One day I hope to see this. It has been pretty quiet every time I have been up there with no Goldens to be found and I have never seen a Marlin up close. Last November, there were quite a few boats charging along the edge of the shallows with towers searching for them.