Easy Fishing With Some Good Company

Drop Bear

1 minute ago, Junky said:

Thanks for the tip. 

How come you can't just replace the bulbs?

I hate those big boxy PFD's. 

Yep you can do that. I probably will. The problem is that the only hatch is not water tight and they will corrode again.

If I can find a spot for the boxy ones I will chuck them in. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice day with light winds for most of it.

That's strange. When we were out there, near Huybers light, the wind sprang up and it became pretty choppy. Checked the live data on Willy and it was reading close to 15kn and rising so we called it off.

Sorry for the delay at the ramp - my winch line was stuck on the spool and I had to muck around to get it loose.

28 minutes ago, ellicat said:

That's strange. When we were out there, near Huybers light, the wind sprang up and it became pretty choppy. Checked the live data on Willy and it was reading close to 15kn and rising so we called it off.

Sorry for the delay at the ramp - my winch line was stuck on the spool and I had to muck around to get it loose.

Oh I didn't know about the winch. We were fine. I don't mind waiting for boats getting launched/retrieved. Just something that happens. I was jealous of your electric winch however. 🙂

We stayed west and South of Green so it wasn't choppy really. It probably got to 15 at times but didn't bother us due to being in the lee.

18 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Sounds like a fun day, Robbie. Anyone else having trouble seeing the photos? They are just blank rectangles on my iPad? 

I can't see them on my PC either.  Tried three different browsers, but what I see is many lines of code - no pics or rectangles.   On one of Dropbear's previous posts I could see one of the pics but could not see the others.

I thought it might be because they were uploaded from an Android device, and not compatible with my windows PC.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Sounds like a fun day, Robbie. Anyone else having trouble seeing the photos? They are just blank rectangles on my iPad? 

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Any luck now? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

How you going legend? 

20170906_155842.jpg

I am good thanks Robbie.

I am dying to get back out there though, I am so tired of being house bound at the moment, lol

Hopefully it won't be too long and I can start to venture out again, even if just in the bay or the river bank somewhere for a little while.

19 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

I am good thanks Robbie.

I am dying to get back out there though, I am so tired of being house bound at the moment, lol

Hopefully it won't be too long and I can start to venture out again, even if just in the bay or the river bank somewhere for a little while.

I know the feeling...

Let me know if you want to come out on the boat for an outing. 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good day out there Robbie - am bemused at why I struggled to only catch one mackerel. Only thing I can guess is that I really should change my metal spoon (been meaning to) as the hook is discoloured (ie. slightly rusted) but the spoon itself is still nice and shiny.

Robbies group of mackerel haven't had their tetanus shot yet, so they stay away from rusty hooks

18 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good one Drop Bear, looks like a nice session.

The catches would've been a bit of fun, especially those macks. I bet they go as hard as anything!

Cheers Hamish

They actually don't fight very hard. The bigger models can do. Because we are using Paravanes it can actually be hard to know if you have one on. You need to keep an eye on the rod tip. With no fish on the tip has a very rhythmic tap tap. when you get a hit is is less rhythmic. Then just pull it in until you get to the paravane and then hand line it in from there. 

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good day out there Robbie - am bemused at why I struggled to only catch one mackerel. Only thing I can guess is that I really should change my metal spoon (been meaning to) as the hook is discoloured (ie. slightly rusted) but the spoon itself is still nice and shiny.

Shouldn't matter? I don't think they are too fussy. Perhaps you just didn't find the schools?

You didn't miss much as they were all very small fish. 

I headed out Friday afternoon again for a look after Spero reported he'd done well. 

Same thing, lots of small school mackerel but not in the same numbers. I caught about 6 and as many grinners. 

I also caught a xxos pike on the 3inch spoon haha. he must have been hungry. 

I picked the worst time for the Northerly... it was a good 15 knots so a bit willing. As soon as I got home the wind dropped out and the bay went glassy for the afternoon. Oh well. If you are not fishing you wont get a feed.