Offshore With Tugger

Old Scaley

Hey Old Scaley and tugger

Woohoo! That's a great session there. Shame you lost the fish on 16lb Old Scaley, but there'll always be ones that get away 🙂 

Good job on the tuna, snaps, and moses perch. They are a very interesting fish by the looks and they get a lot bigger offshore than in the rivers 😉 

Cheers Hamish

41 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Old Scaley and tugger

Woohoo! That's a great session there. Shame you lost the fish on 16lb Old Scaley, but there'll always be ones that get away 🙂 

Good job on the tuna, snaps, and moses perch. They are a very interesting fish by the looks and they get a lot bigger offshore than in the rivers 😉 

Cheers Hamish

Moses are a great fish. Delicious and easy to fillet. They get pretty big out where tugger and scaley were. 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Haha. Not as Scaley as me, but then few are. Yes, she is always impressed when I come home with fresh seafood and rolls her eyes at me if I come home empty handed. Let’s just say she has perfected the eye roll over the past 40 years.

you are a lucky man. I hope I get to 40 years with Mrs Bear. 

Thanks for the company Steve it was a top day on the big pond, we should have stayed at the 1st spot in hindsight. That light rod did well on the moses perch it was buckeled over a fair bit looked like fun on the light string.

The one thing i found interesting was the sea was alive with bait fish every where we went they were breaking the surface from inshore all the way out to 70m and back again. 

14 hours ago, tugger said:

Thanks for the company Steve it was a top day on the big pond, we should have stayed at the 1st spot in hindsight. That light rod did well on the moses perch it was buckeled over a fair bit looked like fun on the light string.

The one thing i found interesting was the sea was alive with bait fish every where we went they were breaking the surface from inshore all the way out to 70m and back again. 

Do you reckon it will be a good year for Marlin and Spanish then?

Did you notice what the water temp was? 

On 02/09/2020 at 1:39 PM, tugger said:

22.5 degrees and yes it should be a good year for pelagics with the el nino likely this year.

The El Nino event is what I was just learning about in Geography class, tugger. 

I'm guessing the hot air coming over is good for pelagics. I know they seem to go better in Summer so hopefully if it's extra hot they're extra big!

Cheers Hamish

23 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

The El Nino event is what I was just learning about in Geography class, tugger. 

I'm guessing the hot air coming over is good for pelagics. I know they seem to go better in Summer so hopefully if it's extra hot they're extra big!

Cheers Hamish

Hamish its more to do with the warm water currents that move from one side of the Pacific Ocean to the other so in the years we have more rain there is more warm water pushing up to our coastline. Hence good pelagic seasons follow warm water along our coastline and more oceanic baitfish. I was getting plenty of yakkas and slimie mackerel on this trip and it's been a few years since they were in numbers like that on my bait grounds. All pointing to a good pelagic season fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, tugger said:

Hamish its more to do with the warm water currents that move from one side of the Pacific Ocean to the other so in the years we have more rain there is more warm water pushing up to our coastline. Hence good pelagic seasons follow warm water along our coastline and more oceanic baitfish. I was getting plenty of yakkas and slimie mackerel on this trip and it's been a few years since they were in numbers like that on my bait grounds. All pointing to a good pelagic season fingers crossed.

great to hear the bait are back.