North West Island

GregOug

Mate thats the best story i have read in a while. Ever considered a career as an author? Shame you didnt get to have a good crack fishing but its an experience i dont reckon you will forget! Do you reckon you would go back to North west if the weather looked good? 

P.S thanks for typing your story up, it must have taken ages.

35 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Mate thats the best story i have read in a while. Ever considered a career as an author? Shame you didnt get to have a good crack fishing but its an experience i dont reckon you will forget! Do you reckon you would go back to North west if the weather looked good? 

P.S thanks for typing your story up, it must have taken ages.

Thanks @Nirvana. I actually would like to be an author but I’m just too lazy. I have written about half a normal sized book but lack the motivation to write the rest. Lol. I’d probably go back to North West but it is very isolated as I said and you would want to be very well prepared. And I wrote that story over a number of years, along with others, as the enthusiasm ebbed and waned.

Mate I can’t remember what happened yesterday. The trip took place thirty years ago! Lol

And there was no google maps or anything in those days. You arrived at an island, hung over, were basically thrown in your boat with your gear, and left to find your own way to shore. 

I can remember Lady Musgrave better because we went there maybe half a dozen times, usually had good weather which gave us time explore the lagoon and reef properly. The north west trip was a nightmare, and we didn’t get to do much of anything. But having said all that, the boat crew would just head straight to whichever island you were going to from the mainland and drop your boat over the side at the closest approach. They certainly didn’t motor an extra hour around the other side of the lagoon to make it easier for campers. 

20 hours ago, GregOug said:

Also, the lagoon at North West doesn’t have an entrance as far as I know. As I said in my story the only way to most coral atoll lagoons is to go over the top. Lady Musgrave is a bit different because the Yanks blasted a channel through the coral during the Second World War so you can enter at any tide.

Fitzroy reef is the same.

If it were me and I was thinking of going to a remote atoll I think I would choose Lady Musgrave. The fishing was fantastic and if the winds got up we could still fish the lagoon in the boat. The lagoon had great bommies and plenty of good reef fish, including some monster red throat emperor, which were certainly a fight in fifteen foot of water or so. I also found a bommie outside the entrance which held tonnes of trevally. On one trip some other guys took their 21ft ally around to the reef, outside the lagoon and on the seaward side and came back with some huge Spanish Mackerel and Coral Trout. Then again, we caught a hundred pound cod on live bait about 100 metres from the reef edge right near camp on the leaward side. I think I could still remember some of the spots even now.  Mind you, as I said, this was all thirty years ago or more. Who knows how it fishes now. If someone organised a trip to Lady Musgrave I might be interested, but I think North West is too reliant on the weather and the tides, and very remote. At least the huge tourist boat used to come over to Lady Musgrave most days and you could buy ice and even other supplies if you let them know the day before.

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Finally got around to reading this @GregOug. Excruciating! But well told and a fun read. Some mates of mine went there a few years ago and had the exact opposite trip - great weather, good camping and fantastic fishing. I guess you pay your money and you take your chances, hey.

Yeah. Didn’t get a second chance though because it was once bitten, twice shy with that island for us!

Great yarn. 

Certainly grabs you that's for sure. 

It's hard to plan musgrave.

I'm keen for a trip but you can't really plan it if you want to go fishing, or at least make the most of your time there so to speak. 

The weather, as you know well 😜, is shocking at times....and it comes from nowhere. I've had some sketchy days in those waters....lucky I have a good tin tub.

When I see a good run of weather on the way....I get my poo together pronto and choof off to meet it! 

5 hours ago, aussie123 said:

There is an entrance to both North West Island and Fitzroy Reef.

Maybe at high tide for northwest. Fitzroy was blasted out at the same time as lady musgrave. Fitroy just doesnt have an Island. The entrance is about 10-20ft deep.I slept in the boat last time i went there. 

images.jpeg.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...