Gear For Beach Squid Fishing

Flynn

Hey guys,

I’m looking for rod and reel recommendations for beach squid fishing.

I have a lightweight setup in mind. The rod must be able to cast 7-30 gram jigs as far as possible. Fast action and around 9 feet long would be preferred. 3000 size reel would be ideal. I plan to run 10lb braid through it. 
Any recommendations?

Cheers, Flynn

I know @Angus had some scouts that were that sort of size. Dunno if they still have them or not. 

Otherwise something like this? 

https://www.downundercamping.com.au/live-fibre-trophy-spin-9-2-piece-4-6kg-estuary-rod

I would put it on a 3000 stradic with 10lb mono. 

https://www.ottostackleworld.com.au/Shimano-Stradic-Ci4+-FB-3000-HG-Spinning-Fishing-Reel

But that depends on your budget. 

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Hi Flynn,

I have been mooching about the internet looking for a forum with a more NSW focus (no offence everyone-I'm still keen to be part of this one too). Anyway I found this and it may help you.

http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.php?/forum/22-nsw/

None taken, SuperHans.

This forum was originally Brisbane Fishing Online, so that’s why there’s lots of Brissy based members.

Cheers Hamish 

Have a look at a Ugly Stik Gold SP702L 2-4kg 8-24g when you are in a tackle store. It has a softish tip so you shouldn't pull the hooks on squid and other fish, as well as not breaking the bank!

If you wanted a 9' light weight long rod you may have to look at a more pure graphite rod because of the stiffness for the length but some can be fragile.

16 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

None taken, SuperHans.

This forum was originally Brisbane Fishing Online, so that’s why there’s lots of Brissy based members.

Cheers Hamish 

Hi Hamish,

I lived at Cannon Hill when I as your age and cant imagine fishing the big brown snake like you guys do now. I was there in the early 1970s. It was pretty polluted, but I do remember having a lot of fun jagging mullet from the Murrarie abbatoir blood pipe. Naughty I know now. My neighbour paid me 20c each for crab bait and they put up an incredible fight on my K Mart whiting rod. I haven't been back since but its nice to hear that the river is a lot cleaner now.

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

Hi Hamish,

I lived at Cannon Hill when I as your age and cant imagine fishing the big brown snake like you guys do now. I was there in the early 1970s. It was pretty polluted, but I do remember having a lot of fun jagging mullet from the Murrarie abbatoir blood pipe. Naughty I know now. My neighbour paid me 20c each for crab bait and they put up an incredible fight on my K Mart whiting rod. I haven't been back since but its nice to hear that the river is a lot cleaner now.

Hey SuperHans

Wow - that sounds like great fun. I’d love to catch mullet on the river!

It has certainly recovered from then as well, just yesterday I got a big threadfin salmon out of there! 🙂

Cheers Hamish 

If you’re looking for a 7 foot rod for squiding I would go with a . Atomic arrows bream surface rod it’s a slow action 1.5-3.5kg rod i haven’t used it for squid but it works great for soft plastics and bait fishing and is really good for keeping the hook on fish with soft mouths so it should be good for squid . The rod retails anywhere from $118-140 although I got mine for $112 great medium end rods at a budget price . For a reel to match it I would normally go with a 1000 size shimano reel but really it matches up with 1000 and 2000 size reels and some light weight 2500 size reels. I would go with a daiwa emeraldis but depending on your budget a sedona 1000 or 2000 would suit it fine . But there are many different combos that would work well but the atomic arrowz bream surface rod is probably one of the best rods for the price also the EGI rods by atomic arrowz look good to and a probably better for squid fishing

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey SuperHans

Wow - that sounds like great fun. I’d love to catch mullet on the river!

It has certainly recovered from then as well, just yesterday I got a big threadfin salmon out of there! 🙂

Cheers Hamish 

Hi Hamish,

It was great fun. I think I was only about 8 at the time. They were always thick at the mouth of the pipe that pumped blood into the river. I don't even know if the abattoir is still there, and looking back they were so focussed on feeding on the effluent that I think it would be hard to tempt them with a bait. Intentionally foul-hooking (jagging)was and probably still is illegal. I saw the threadie! Well done! What a fish!

3 hours ago, SuperHans said:

Hi Hamish,

It was great fun. I think I was only about 8 at the time. They were always thick at the mouth of the pipe that pumped blood into the river. I don't even know if the abattoir is still there, and looking back they were so focussed on feeding on the effluent that I think it would be hard to tempt them with a bait. Intentionally foul-hooking (jagging)was and probably still is illegal. I saw the threadie! Well done! What a fish!

Hey Hans

Wow-that's pretty awesome... Would be great fun. I guess it was a giant berley pump.

Thanks for comments about the thready 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

8 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

If you’re looking for a 7 foot rod for squiding I would go with a . Atomic arrows bream surface rod it’s a slow action 1.5-3.5kg rod i haven’t used it for squid but it works great for soft plastics and bait fishing and is really good for keeping the hook on fish with soft mouths so it should be good for squid . The rod retails anywhere from $118-140 although I got mine for $112 great medium end rods at a budget price . For a reel to match it I would normally go with a 1000 size shimano reel but really it matches up with 1000 and 2000 size reels and some light weight 2500 size reels. I would go with a daiwa emeraldis but depending on your budget a sedona 1000 or 2000 would suit it fine . But there are many different combos that would work well but the atomic arrowz bream surface rod is probably one of the best rods for the price also the EGI rods by atomic arrowz look good to and a probably better for squid fishing

Bro, commas and full stops PLEASE!