Was sitting at home bored so I thought I'd buy my Mrs a decent combo cause the pink okuma combo she has is crap. I have pulled up on good spots dozens of times and watched her get smoked because she was under gunned . For a couple of years now I've been trying to talk her into upgrading but because she thinks it looks nice she wouldn't have a bar of it. Looked around down my local tackle shop and ended up digging out a nice live fibre , then Pete (the owner of my local ) starts handing different reels over the counter so we tried them all on the rod and I settled for a Penn spinfisher . Turns out she likes it better than the okuma . Didn't break the bank got change out of $400 and she got a tough little combo. And at the end of the day I got that crappy okuma off my live fibre stand.

4 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Gee, you're kind. When my wife used to come fishing with me she used what I told her and when we got home she was sent straight to the kitchen ! Haha - just jokes (and I hope she never sees this comment, I tremble at the thought).

Sounds like a nice setup. Hopefully she'll land those escapees from the past.

Haha,  they get a bit sensitive with the kitchen comments they also hate being told they look like their mum. Hopefully she has a decent scrap with the longtails now

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Where/Who is your local and do you recommend them ?

All round angler at caboolture I absolutely recommend them. Peter is switched on with a lot of knowledge around Moreton bay and pumistone passage . I also pass through mo tackle in Coffs Harbour every week in the truck I know where everything is in both stores both places are very relaxed with no salesman stalking you.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Sneaky1

Cool! That sounds great. Looks like your wife will be giving you a good run for your money fishing now. 

Hope to hear some great stories 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Haha she's already trying to make bets with me Hamish , she might win the day but that cool she's a good old girl

2 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Man, super durable combo too. Heard good things, great purchase. Might have to do the same when my fancy shimanos kark it from too much salt water on the kayak. 

Sam 

Been buying live fibre for the last 20 something years never had a fish break one only had them break in clumsy moments like rolling up a power window in the dark and 1 rum fuelled night I didn't allow for the ceiling fan . Havnt had a lot to do with the Penn reels but my brother has caught some huge kings and Jews down Coffs Harbour a couple of his spin fishers are over 10years old 

$400 for a combo for the mrs I thought I was fussy with cheaper gear my most expensive combo $362 a shimano stradic fl 1000 matched with a atomic arrows bream surface 2pc rod but my other 2 combos are $140-150 I stalk bcf sales and eBay deals till the times right and then get rods and reels for super cheap that’s the secret to buying good gear on a budget. I got a daiwa combo at bcf for $150 that’s usually $300. the reel that came with the combo is worth $110-120 alone and rod is worth $130-150 alone . Probably the best deal I’ll ever see in life 

9 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I stalk bcf sales and eBay deals till the times right and then get rods and reels for super cheap that’s the secret to buying good gear on a budget.

You can't beat the good old BCF sale Breaming with bro. 😛 It's like Chrissy time... (except you're only getting discounts!). 

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

$400 for a combo for the mrs I thought I was fussy with cheaper gear my most expensive combo $362 a shimano stradic fl 1000 matched with a atomic arrows bream surface 2pc rod but my other 2 combos are $140-150 I stalk bcf sales and eBay deals till the times right and then get rods and reels for super cheap that’s the secret to buying good gear on a budget. I got a daiwa combo at bcf for $150 that’s usually $300. the reel that came with the combo is worth $110-120 alone and rod is worth $130-150 alone . Probably the best deal I’ll ever see in life 

Nothing wrong with the stradics i have the 4000 on my blade and  tails medium I give it  a fairly hard time throwing slugs at mack tuna so I can make my burley bombs .  Just like buying decent gear that lasts 

9 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Been buying live fibre for the last 20 something years never had a fish break one only had them break in clumsy moments like rolling up a power window in the dark and 1 rum fuelled night I didn't allow for the ceiling fan . Havnt had a lot to do with the Penn reels but my brother has caught some huge kings and Jews down Coffs Harbour a couple of his spin fishers are over 10years old 

I'm the same. 

I have broken way too many fancy rods but all my Live Fibre ones are in tip top condition even after 25 years or so. 

I think they will be the only rods I buy from now on due to my inability to look after the high end carbon ones. 

Good on you for getting her a decent kit. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm the same. 

I have broken way too many fancy rods but all my Live Fibre ones are in tip top condition even after 25 years or so. 

I think they will be the only rods I buy from now on due to my inability to look after the high end carbon ones. 

Good on you for getting her a decent kit. 

Cheers drop bear

Sounds like the live fibre virus has set in on you too . Over the last 2 years I have ended up buying a few venoms which I think are the best live fibre rods ever. My brother has a Shimano t curve and twin power set up which he ditched for a venom and a diawa dogfight set up instead . Think I created a monster after buying him a blade and tails for christmas.

3 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Cheers drop bear

Sounds like the live fibre virus has set in on you too . Over the last 2 years I have ended up buying a few venoms which I think are the best live fibre rods ever. My brother has a Shimano t curve and twin power set up which he ditched for a venom and a diawa dogfight set up instead . Think I created a monster after buying him a blade and tails for christmas.

Yep I have heard nothing but good things about the Venoms. If I can afford them I will buy some. For now I need to work on breaking the rods I have so I can buy more.... haha.