Boat Floor Replacement - Marine Ply Vs Checker Plate

The Mad Hughesy

hi everyone,

time has come to replace my boats floor. current floor is rotted, split and has fungus in it. Has anyone upgraded to checker plate instead of opting for marine ply? i know the price will be fairly different, but the ply only has a certain life expectancy compared to checker plate. But, the marine ply would be a lot easier to do myself..

Would love to hear feedback for either marine ply or cheker plate. thanks

7C1B2094-91B5-4459-BDA0-ABD6343984B6.thumb.jpeg.903328e4c5ef618155a3586102376ec2.jpeg

You could use the Marine ply and give it a coat of waxed polyester resin or vinylester resin on both sides, that would greatly increase the life of the board. Ideally you should add a layer of fiberglass first, if you added a layer of glass to both sides it would also stiffen the board, If water can't get to the ply it can't rot! The ply would also add a level of sound deadening.

Having said that, the ally sheet is simpler than above as it is just cut and fit.

Depends how thick the alloy sheet is too. 

Alloy can flex under foot between the bulk heads. You may need some kind of length bracing/stringer if it's thin sheet. 

Thicker sheet is going to weigh more. 

Fixing alloy sheet will need glue as well as screws. Otherwise the alloy will move and flex with the hull and cause the screws to elongate holes etc and may lose their grip or become threaded. 

A mate at work just did his boat. 

He did the casting deck with checker plate and the floor with ply. 

Would you put some sort of mat on top of the checkerplate? Just thinking about how much heat it would be sending back up in the middle of summer.  A mate did his floor using marine ply, but opted not to put carpet back on. Instead he sealed the ply with some sort of 2 pac coating on both sides and then hit it with a couple of coats of acrylic paint.  That was about 10 years ago and it seems to have lasted well, but the floor does get a bit hot in summer in bare feet.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Would you put some sort of mat on top of the checkerplate? Just thinking about how much heat it would be sending back up in the middle of summer.  A mate did his floor using marine ply, but opted not to put carpet back on. Instead he sealed the ply with some sort of 2 pac coating on both sides and then hit it with a couple of coats of acrylic paint.  That was about 10 years ago and it seems to have lasted well, but the floor does get a bit hot in summer in bare feet.

I’ve seen a few different options for that heat problem. Some use carpet, some use astro turf.

il leaning towards marine ply at this stage. Much easier to work with it seems.

thanks @Junky

I replaced my ply flooring in my previous tinny with just structural ply (cheaper than marine ply) and gave it two undercoats all over to seal it, then put carpet over it and it was still going strong after about 8 years. One tip I remember reading on here AFTER I did mine was to attached the carpet with velcro so that you can remove and wash it when/if needed, rather than permanently glueing it.

Think you would definitely want something on top of the checkerplate - again, you could use carpet and velcro, or otherwise rubber mats are an option (obviously thicker ones get heavy though). 

15 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Carpet is nice but takes more maintenance. The constant battle haha. 

I heard a story of a bloke that was roofing and forgot to wear underpants on a hot day. The sun reflected up and toasted his balls and put him in hospital. 

The moral of the story, If you decide to change your floor to checkerplate make sure you put undies on...

17 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I replaced my ply flooring in my previous tinny with just structural ply (cheaper than marine ply) and gave it two undercoats all over to seal it, then put carpet over it and it was still going strong after about 8 years. One tip I remember reading on here AFTER I did mine was to attached the carpet with velcro so that you can remove and wash it when/if needed, rather than permanently glueing it.

Think you would definitely want something on top of the checkerplate - again, you could use carpet and velcro, or otherwise rubber mats are an option (obviously thicker ones get heavy though). 

Do you remember what you used to seal it with?