You Might Get Muddy They Said... A Disaster Story

shaun1800

4 minutes ago, Gad said:

hmmm. the only thing missing from this tale of woe... is ellicat`s participation and exploits 😐  🤣🤣🤣

Haha oh man I'm glad he wasn't there to witness this embarassment. Now I look at that photo of the mud flat again it seems a lot bigger. What was I thinking? Ah well, you live and learn. 

35 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Do this. Take worms or a yabby pump. 

Catch fish. 

Oh bloody hell I was in completely the wrong spot! That might go some ways toward explaining this whole messy situation. Thanks for that, I'll definetly give that spot a go. 

51 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Hahaha. Well done. I can't believe you didn't get a photo of your catch !

Not so long ago I jumped in at Jacob's Well and went up to just over my knees. Fortunately I didn't have far to walk

Ha! My hands were that caked in mud I wasn't game to even try. I'd probably have dopped my phone and just added to my misery anyway. 

Good to know even seasoned experts like your good self make mistakes ocassionaly too. Makes me feel a tad better 😉 

2 minutes ago, benno573 said:

I recall arriving back at POB ramp one freezing July night. High tide, pre-pontoon days. I decided to nose in gently at the ramp and my faithful decky Ellicat should be able to step off the front into knee deep at most water, catch the boat and all good. 

“Just wait until I say ok mate”

”yep, no worries”

about 4-5m from when I would have said go - Ellicat disappears and I hear a splash and a squeal. D1ck head jumped off into chest deep water.  With a bag of tobacco in his top pocket.

Car said it was 7 degrees. Heater got a work out on the way home.

Don’t worry about the deckie. Can always get another. Did you catch any fish?

3 hours ago, shaun1800 said:

Haha oh man I'm glad he wasn't there to witness this embarassment. Now I look at that photo of the mud flat again it seems a lot bigger. What was I thinking? Ah well, you live and learn. 

Mate if you want to feel a bit better about your fishing trip read my North West Island account sometime. Then a bit of mud won’t seem quite so bad.

And your story is very well written. Great work! Give up fishing and become an author.

We were doing a thing at Kangaroo Point where footy players were attempting to kick a goal on a pontoon out in the river. The tide went out and the mud was thick and retrieving the balls became very tricky. 

There is a lot of junk in the water there. Not where the sand is but more upstream near the Jazz Club end. 

I was really worried that I would cut myself on some old steel hidden in the muck. We just used a big pole and a net and washed all the balls but it took a lot longer. 

Now  I am always cautious walking in deep mud as I wonder if there junk in there that will cut me up... 

16 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

I took a mate there not too long ago for a flick, he’s around 100kg and was struggling to stay on top of the mud, he reckoned I was like one of those birds that walk on water lilly’s barely sinking down at all, an advantage of being 30kg lighter perhaps?.

I'm close to 100 so maybe that's part of the problem, I've stacked on a bit too much iso weight 😉 Look if the mud is anything like it is where I went I might play it safe and give it a miss. 

14 hours ago, benno573 said:

I recall arriving back at POB ramp one freezing July night. High tide, pre-pontoon days. I decided to nose in gently at the ramp and my faithful decky Ellicat should be able to step off the front into knee deep at most water, catch the boat and all good. 

Lol. You know my dad did a similar thing, except he jumped off into some reef and scatched the **** out of his legs. Maybe fishing blunders are a genetic condition? 

15 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Guess which item he was most worried about?  

The durries, of course!

Hey shaun1800

That is what I'd call an exploratory trip. That's what you call a trip where you catch squat all and learn to do something... NEVER AGAIN! 😉 

Bit of a pity about your gear but.

Cheers Hamish