ggg

Hi everyone,

I have inquired about a boat behind a family member's house. It has been sitting there for a few years and hasn't really been used. It's a Quintrex 520 Dory. The boat is a Quintrex so it's solid and has a thicker hull than most boats that size. I am happy with the boat and the trailer has been fully rebuilt with an electric winch. The motor is an old Mariner (75hp) but does run. The only problem is that the boat has a small leak. I am getting a family member (who is a boilermaker, has worked on boats and is highly skilled in welding) to look at the boat and see the condition of the hull. Providing the leak is the only problem in the boat, could it be patched up and still be a good boat to use? I like the size of it and will switch it from a side to a centre console (it's currently a side console). I have done some research and patches don't affect the boat much supposedly. If it's a crack at a weld, I assume the crack can be welded over? Thanks.

Sounds like a cracker mate. 5.2 Quinny yew! 

If you put the hose in the boat and add a bottle red or blue food die will find the crack pretty quickly.

Clear water on its own is really hard. 

Lots of old tinnys have patches and cracks re-welded

Mate you have something that us mere mortals can only dream of... a boilermaker in the family!!!

My only question is why you want to go from side console to centre? Lots of people are doing the reverse. I know they look better but they take up more room in the boat and you need to squeeze beside the console each time you go from front to back. If it were me I would try it as a side console for a bit and see if you can live with it. 

Anyway very happy for you that sounds like a ripper solution. 

Send it! 

I want to go for a centre console so I am able to stand up and drive. It will be better for my back when I drive the boat. The side console is just a home job with a plastic console. If I get the boat, my school holiday project was to gut the boat, put a custom floor with hatches and a bait tank and convert to a centre console. The boat is extremely wide so might no be a huge deal. I will certainly use food colouring. He just needs to see the hull to determine if it’s able to be used (and out the reef). 

On 15/09/2020 at 7:11 AM, Jaz44 said:

I want to go for a centre console so I am able to stand up and drive. It will be better for my back when I drive the boat. The side console is just a home job with a plastic console. If I get the boat, my school holiday project was to gut the boat, put a custom floor with hatches and a bait tank and convert to a centre console. The boat is extremely wide so might no be a huge deal. I will certainly use food colouring. He just needs to see the hull to determine if it’s able to be used (and out the reef). 

Nice one mate. Enjoy. 

Sounds like a fantastic project. 

There are leaks and then there are greater signs of trouble.  There are so many vairiables here however most boats develop a leak or two over time.  If the boat has been used in the bay repeatly and treated poorly there will be the tell tale signs. Look at the bottom of the hull, along the hull. A boat that has had a hard life will have the hull pushed up /cupped between the ribs and may have significant structural fatigue.  Check that the Ribs are attached and the packing is still in place.  Welding a crack without addressing the cause will only mean you are revisiting the issue again in the near future depending on its use.  It also depends on your planned use, are you fishing creeks, dams, esturay or partially smooth waters. 

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I have talked to my parents and we have decided to take our time. Many boats (and good buys) will pop up in the next 6-12 months. That Quinnie will always be sitting in his backyard (he sort of wants too much for what it is and doesn’t want to be told it’s not worth that price). Has anyone heard of ‘Star’ or ‘Starcraft’ boats? There is a 5.2m centre console an hours drive from me. It’s a 5mm plate boat with an older model 75hp Mariner which supposedly starts first go. When I checked the rego though, it said it was 4.3m and from 1977. The boat looks far bigger than 4.3m and looks like a newer design than 1977. I am not too sure whether to drive and look at this or pass it. He want $7500 for it. I have attached 6 photos of the boat. 

Thanks

ECADDB9D-00DF-4211-8BE6-47394185F8BF.png

944877DB-DF4F-45D5-AE48-CD4D42128B5A.png

BDCA876D-B7DE-4BA7-9B7A-1C97F603CC74.png

8A571F36-6BEA-40EB-A79A-7780CE05FC3F.png

DFC45118-EF9C-4802-B6D5-C35615EF669C.png

23214CD4-D756-4CF4-913F-7DAF6D20A241.png

3 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

It’s already sold so doesn’t matter. It was made in 1980. I’m not going to spend that much on a 40 year old boat with a 25 year old motor. There were much better deals only a few weeks ago. More will pop up soon. 

That is the spirit. Wait till the delicious gazelle turns up then pounce.