queensland Please Let Me Know The Fishing Place Near Wivenhoe.

Recommended Posts

I'm a foreigner. How are you?
I just started fishing.
I live in Gatton, about half an hour from wivenhoe.
The river is dry around here.
I want to catch a bass but I've never seen it.
I'm driving around here and there looking for water.
This is very hard. If I find a flowing river, it's hard to access because of the farm fence.
I don't have a boat. But I have a kayak for rowing.
I prefer fishing on the ground, if you don't mind.
Can you tell me where I can fish bass in a flowing river with wivenhoe?
And I have an udp map of Brisbane.
I haven't caught a fish yet.
English is difficult and fishing is difficult.
Please help me.

Please login or register to view this image

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Welcome to the fourm mate! By using the search button in the top right hand corner, you'll be able to find plenty of good information. 

As far as I know, the only river going off Wivenhoe Dam is the Brisbane River. This holds bass, and some places you could catch them landbased may be Kholo, Colleges Crossing, and Twin Bridges. A kayak will help you get to better spots though, so if you think you can paddle out I'd certainly try. 

As for fishing Wivenhoe... (I don't have much experience), But it is a big dam. I'd try to focus in one area for the bass.

Good luck and I hope you get some good ones. Hope you could understand everything I just said.

Cheers Hamish

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome. 


Are the creeks all dry like you say or do they still have small pools of water? I know it is dry at the moment but it's worth a closer look if there are pools of water.

Get down in the creek and go for a walk along it. 


I've caught bass in a pool of water not much bigger than a bath tub. That was at Christmas creek near Beaudesert. I just walked along the creek for a couple of kilometers. 

I don't know exactly how deep the pools of water were, however I could not see the bottom and it was a dry period like we are having now. From the road in a car you would have said it was a dry creek.

I caught about 6 bass all up. 

Ecogear sx40 did the damage.  

Oh...and when you walk along, don't walk like an elephant. Go quietly and stay low on approach to any pool of water. 


Good luck. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Junky said:

안녕하세요, 환영합니다. 


개울이 당신이 말한 것처럼 모두 건조합니까 아니면 여전히 작은 물 웅덩이가 있습니까? 나는 그것이 현재 건조하다는 것을 알고 있지만 물 웅덩이가 있다면 자세히 살펴볼 가치가 있습니다.

개울에 내려가 산책을하세요. 


나는 욕조보다 크지 않은 물 웅덩이에서베이스를 잡았다. 그것은 Beaudesert 근처의 크리스마스 크릭에있었습니다. 나는 개울을 따라 몇 킬로미터를 걸었습니다. 

웅덩이의 깊이는 정확히 알 수 없지만 바닥이 보이지 않아 지금처럼 건조한시기였습니다. 차의 길에서 당신은 그것이 마른 개울이라고 말했을 것입니다.

나는 약 6 개의베이스를 모두 잡았다. 

Ecogear sx40이 피해를 입었습니다.  

오 ... 그리고 걸을 때 코끼리처럼 걷지 마세요. 조용히 가서 물 웅덩이에 접근하지 마십시오. 


행운을 빕니다. 

Most of them don't even have water holes.
I know where the water is a little pooled when it rains.
I'm going to try.
Thank you!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:


Fourm 메이트에 오신 것을 환영합니다! 오른쪽 상단의 검색 버튼을 사용하면 좋은 정보를 많이 찾을 수 있습니다. 

내가 아는 한, Wivenhoe 댐에서 흘러가는 유일한 강은 브리즈번 강입니다. 이것은 저음을 보유하고 있으며 육지에서 잡을 수있는 곳은 Kholo, Colleges Crossing 및 Twin Bridges 일 수 있습니다. 카약은 더 좋은 곳으로가는 데 도움이되므로 노를 저을 수 있다고 생각한다면 꼭 시도해 보겠습니다. 

Wivenhoe 낚시는 ... (경험이별로 없습니다)하지만 큰 댐입니다. 베이스를 위해 한 영역에 집중하려고합니다.

행운을 빕니다. 좋은 것을 얻으시기 바랍니다. 내가 방금 말한 모든 것을 이해할 수 있기를 바랍니다.

건배 Hamish

Twin Bridges is a place I often challenge. I've recently found a secret place over the fence, and I'm going to try there soon.

Colleges Crossing tried once. But so many water plants made me doubt whether fishing was possible. I saw many people coming to the picnic and enjoying kayaking. I didn't see bass...

Thank you for your answer.!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill gunn dam is nearly empty but is stocked with bass and other species. I chucked out my ubd years ago so suggest you search with google earth. From memory there is public access via patrick estate,Osheas Crossing,there is a large reserve just outside fernvale . Also river access o the fernvale to Laidley road.The river fishing will be hard as it is a few years since the dams overflowed and there is only very limited stocking in the rivers.Your best bet would be wivenhoe dam in a yak. Somerset has a lot of boat traffic but there is a good tackle shop there who can give you a lot of advice o it would be worth while going there justfor the advice.

Cheers Ray

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

    • By Leosonfire
      These just arrived and bloody excited to use them ! Handmade by Andy @ sucoast skutes

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By Dinodadog
      Luke and I decided to fish the edges in amongst the weed.It was to be a short walk, which turned into about 10 k around trip.Managed to have a good nights sleep, well good for me slept through from 9 till 3 this morning. It kills me but I just love fishing the edges in dam or creek.
      Anyway the fishing was great, we would bunny hop each other along the bank fishing the gaps in the weed, Most fish would strike just as the spinnerbait reached the front of the weed, then it was on to get the fish threw the weed, best idea was to try and skim the fish over the top of the weed. We lost afew fish but still managed to land well over 60 bass and the one yella. That cheeky Luke said ah well I suppose I'll see you in a month when you recover to do it again.
      Please login or register to view this image

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By rayke1938
      Bit slow at NPD  yesterday morning with 31 bass and 5 yellas on live shrimp.Yellas were a good plate size averaging around 3lb in weight. All yellas went into the esky. Fad 2 was the best spot providing 18 bass and 3 yellas. Ramp is a bit tricky but is due to be fixed on friday so the gate will be locked so no fishing on friday. 16 boats on the water today aprox 1k wlk up the hill to last trailer, Glad I was first car at the gate. On the  way back to the ramp found 23 of my pots one was on the edge with no float and the other 2 of my shrimp traps  had migrated  about 1k upstream. Only good thing was that they had fresh bait in them so i got a few shrimp for next trip.
      Dear Permit Holder

      You will be aware that the declining water level at Lake Samsonvale is creating difficulties with launching & retrieving vessels at the boat ramp. Last year, we created a new launch area to the left of the roadway and this has been effective in making it easier to launch & retrieve. We now intend to extend this "ramp" and hope to carry out this work on Friday 25th September.
      In the interest of safety, we have decided to close access to the permit area for the day.  The gate lock will be changed so you will not be able to enter through the Adsetts Rd gate. If you were planning to fish that day, please make other arrangements.
      We apologise for this inconvenience but the work is necessary if we want continued access to the lake. You will be advised if there are any changes to this arrangement.

      Noel Frost - President

      Please login or register to view this attachment
      Hi all
      Well, I've been slack in posting my reports of late so I'm going to do a four in one right now. To save you from reading three boring reports, if you want to read about last night's yak trip, fast forward to the last report. Otherwise, you can just read about my OTHER unsuccessful salmon trips. It's including a lot of different species, such as scat, bream, mullet, catfish, blah, blah, blah!
      The first session was on the 13th of September. It was another early morning session, targeting the iconic Brisbane River threadfin salmon. We got there a bit before six, mainly to catch livies. Now, it was the wrong tide, about half way up and rising. Normally at this spot you'll be able to get truckloads of baits, especially prawns, on a dead low, but on a high you'll get bugger all except stick-fish. That was happening with us today, so it was lucky we had some frozen prawns (from prior sessions) with us today. I baited up the lines, but we still needed a livie for the salmon line. We really couldn't get one, which was bloody annoying, but after a short time my Dad did hook up to a little catty. It put up an OK fight, and soon enough we landed it and got rid of it - 

      With the temperature fast warming, I can expect to see more of these... I can also expect some bull sharks!  
      After that catty, we still weren't getting any bait.  By about 7:00AM, my dad went back home and left me on my own. The tide was still wrong, but at least now it had changed to the run out making it easier to fish. I also baited up the salmon line with a chunk of the Aussie Farm Prawn, as I wanted at least a slim chance of enticing one. I gave my mates a text to see if I could get some company, but I thought that was unlikely as I'm the only one who can be bothered to get out of bed on my holidays!
      After many picker attacks, and re-positioning of rods, my friend Sam came down. He didn't bring the good-luck with him though, so we mainly just sat around, bait checking the rods, and giving the cast net the odd throw to check if there was any bait about yet. At around 9:00AM (yes, the session was that bad that I've pretty much skipped two hours ), we saw something pretty remarkable. First, we heard what sounded like someone falling in the water... We turned around and saw what looked to be a bully trying to eat a catfish which was feeding off algae on the pylons. I didn't get a good enough look at the 'big' fish, but judging from size, fin shape, etc (or what little of it I saw), I'd call it for one of them. 
      After that, the same catfish (about a forty centimetre fish) kept swimming around on the surface for about five minutes. I got some of it on video, which is pretty cool I reckon... The video is like 4 minutes long though, which makes it a pain to post as it is SO large. 

      Swimming fish!  
      The funny thing was, straight after I'd went to call my dad and tell him about it, a catfish/mullet of similar size floated by, half rotted, but with what looked like a BIG bite mark out of it. Maybe the warming temperatures are causing river sharks to become more active?

      One really weird thing that happened today as well, that I can't possibly think an explanation up for. Whenever I reeled in my line, the fishing line would come back covered in mud. I had to pinch the line to stop it from going all over the reel. It was like there was a sediment suspended mid water making this happen. Anyone got an idea? 
      We didn't get a rod ready in time for the catty, and shortly after, due to the lack of bites, we left the park. It was a pretty dud session overall, and I did donut, but I guess you'll always get those. Here are the stats of this report - 
      Statistics of Trip - 
      Tide: Low, .6M, 1:30AM, High, 7:10AM, 1.5M, Low, 1:09PM, .4M
      Moon Phase: Waning Crescent Phase, so not much run
      Weather: Slightly cloudy and breezey
      Fish caught: Catfish x 1
      Bait used: Prawn
      Bait caught: Bugger all
      Tackle Used: Same as always - 12, 14, 30 pound braid mainlines, 20-30lb leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 4/o suicide/circle hooks, large barrel swivel, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and Diawa Shinobi, 6"6 Venomat? rod, 8" Ugly Stik, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, shocker and blood knots. 
      Overall Success Rate: 30% - at least we saw something out of the usual...
      Alright, here is the next report. This one took place on Saturday, and it was another arvo session. I'd actually gotten a new cast net for the yak and I planned to use that one to give it a test out. Once again, there really wasn't much bait around today, so I stuck to using Aussie Farm Prawns.
      I had my lines in by about half past two, and I was also giving the net a test. It throws decently, but I'll need to give it a soaking in sugar-soap and water overnight so it goes nice and sift and not springy. When the net is springy, you'll often pancake it before it hits the water then it'll go smaller. It didn't take long before I got the first hit. I completely missed it though, so I re casted and kept cast netting. Not long after, I see the rod buckled over. I pull up the net as fast as I can, and begin to fight the fish. It had some OK weight about it, and while it didn't take any good runs still had some go in it! When I saw it, I realised it was a bream, to my surprise. Normally I pull these ones (especially up at that size) from structure, rarely from the middle of the river! 
      The solo net job is still something I need to get better at, especially off the jetty. It took my a few minutes to walk him down and get him in the net, but after that I think it all went smoothly. I took him up to the brag mat (thinking the Suburbs of Origin comp leading bream was still @ellicat's at 31.5cm, not @Daryl McPhee's at 33.5cm... I think anyways), tipped some water on the mat (so he stayed calm), got the hook out with my hands, then took a pic and put him back . He swum off fine, so that just shows that hopefully there'll be an OK population of bigger bream in the river. I'd love to get a trophy bream out of the Brisbane River. 

      My three fingers for SOO and, I think I'm mastering the one handed breambo selfie!
      After that bream, which got some hope into me, I rebaited, and kept throwing the net. There was still no bait around and to much tide to throw the net, so I had a sit down with the rods. For the next hour and a bit, nothing happened at all, except the fact my mate came down. I briefly summarized the day so far, which wasn't much, and we kept fishing. 
      The salmon line was still baited with some dead prawn, but luckily my dad came down. He did one pancake of the ten footer, and got 7 poddy mullet! I chucked one out (well two actually as one went flying off the hook), and left the livie out. This fella lasted for ages. I gave him about three bait checks and he was still as lively as anything. The rod which had caught my bream also had a live prawn on the end. I think my dad (see, I don't fully remember) got a juvenile bream in the net at one point, which was safely released as well. I think it is great to see that bream are thriving around and in the river. I guess it can be expected as they have just bred though. 

      Small Bream 
      After that one, my dad headed off. It was around five now, and I was still doing some cast netting. In one of my throws, I felt a good tug. I was hoping for a mullet, but the second I saw the bugger I knew what it was. A dirty old scat. You will not get me to change my mind ever. These are one of the most annoying bloody things to get into your net. The barely come out, spiky everywhere... That's a recipe for disaster. I got mine out after about 5 minutes, and after a quick picture put him back into the water. The funny thing was he got sucked straight back down by a whirlpool made by the current. Funny to watch, that is  

      30cm of Yuk!'
      After that scat, it was nearly half past five. The salmon line was untouched, and apart from some small hits the other line was too. I was disappointed that I couldn't get a salmon, but at least this session was no donut. Here are the stats of this report - 
      Statistics of report - 
      Tide: 12:11PM, High, 2.15M, 6:30PM, Low, .1M
      Moon Phase: New Moon, so quite a bit of run!
      Fish caught: Scat x 1, Bream x 2
      Bait caught: Poddy Mullet and prawn
      Bait used: Dead and live prawn, live poddy mullet
      Tackle Used:  12, 14, 30 pound braid mainlines, 20-30lb leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 4/o suicide/circle hooks, large barrel swivel, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and Diawa Shinobi, 6"6 Venomat? rod, 8" Ugly Stik, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, shocker and blood knots. 
      Weather: Cloudy, light sprinkles of rain
      Overall Success Rate: 40% - a good bream
      Okey-dokey, now to the last session that took place at the local park. This one was in the early morning, mainly because one of my friends wanted to come down. We got to the park a little before six, and he got there a little before seven. My dad and I started cast netting first up... He got a couple good bait prawns in the first cast, but I got nothing. On my dad's second cast though, up came two bream. Both tiny ones, but still an OK start to the morning. The certainly gave a good tug in the net, and they were safely released. 

      Two bream, just about legal (or maybe a tad over)
      That was a good start, and as well as them my dad and I had manged about 5 poddy mullet soon after. Yippee. That was our cod and salmon bait sorted for the day. Not long before my friend got there, my dad manged to get a solid 33cm mullet which will most likely become crab pot bait. It gave him another good pull too. He was getting all the good ones and what was I stuck with? Glassies!.. 

      My Dad's 33cm Mullet
      The mullet and bream were a good way to start the day, but it was still not what we can there for - a thready! My dad found out about the scats too, as he got a bigger one as well (I still had to remove it). I hope they don't start becoming common here, but then again if they did they'd become crab bait! 

      Scat number 2
      After he was put back, the netting went quiet. The lines hadn't even been touched this whole time, so I was starting to think this might be a donut session for me. It kept this way for another hour or so, until the tide changed. The same thing with the mud on the reels happened (like I said in the above post), and it was most annoying. Seeing as though it only happened on the rising in tide, I'm thinking there may be a lot of dirt stirred up on the tide change causing this to happen? 
      The bite still stayed quiet, and for the rest of the morning I couldn't manage a fish. I tried my best, by re-positioning rods, but it still didn't work. I kept bait checking the lines, and eventually I was onto the cooked prawns I had. These certainly didn't help the bite rate, and it seems the fish completely stay away from them. I've read that they make a great bait in lots of old threads but I haven't been able to prove that true at all. Both the live mullet were still going strong, but I didn't end up getting a fish on either of them.
      At about 10:00AM, I left the park and called the session. At least I've got some more crab bait now. A couple more and it'll be POB crabbing time! Here are the stats of the trip - 
      Statistics of Trip - 
      Tide: High, 12:25AM, 2.3M, Low, 7:00AM, .1M, High, 1:00PM, 2.2M
      Moon Phase: New Moon so a bit of run!
      Weather: Cloudy, cool-ish
      Fish caught: 2 x Bream, 1 x Scat, 1 x Mullet
      Bait caught: Poddy Mullet (and a couple prawns)
      Bait used: Live and dead prawns, poddy mullet
      Tackle used: 12, 14, 30 pound braid mainlines, 20-30lb leaders, 80lb mono trace, size 4/o suicide/circle hooks, large barrel swivel, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and Diawa Shinobi, 6"6 Venomat? rod, 8" Ugly Stik, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, shocker and blood knots. 
      Overall Success Rate: 30% - crab bait!
      OK, so here is the spot you want to be if you are only reading the yakking trip, but otherwise, good job in keeping up! This was a night time session at Dutton Park around Green Bridge, which while is heavily fished, still seems to hold fish (or it did the last time I was there). We got there at around 6:30PM to catch livies and set off. 
      After getting numerous herring, poddy mullet, and a couple prawns (as well as glassies and scat), we launched in the kayak. Collecting bait was quite fun, with me getting the odd school of (small) herring, and my dad getting the same. I got most of the good mullet though. Another fella fishing there gave us some bigger herring as he must've heard me say, "These buggers are bloody small!", and gave me a hand. He was trying for early season sharks, which I don't think he was too successful on. 
      We got out, and decided to drift the last of the rise up towards a red marker buoy. I deployed a good live mullet, and my dad chucked on a small winter whiting which I'd caught. I sent the baits down though, and we hoped the first drift could bring some big fish! 
      Deploying a livie (mullet) down to the depth below
      It was very deep, and since we didn't have time to put on the sounder before we left we simply estimated it to be between 20-25M. My bait was on the bottom first, and it was clearly going crazy. It was bending the rod, and felt like a bloomin' fish! Surely if this went over a salmon's head it would be smashed! We drifted about 150M from the middle of the river to the red buoy, and did the same thing again. It was very serene out on the river being the only thing there, and the only way to make it better (or we thought) would be for a fish. 
      Before the second drift, we checked our livies. Mine was still kicking stronger (than usual, Lol), but it had gotten into the worst tangle I'd ever seen. We almost drifted back to the jetty it took that long to un-tangle it. I guess problems like that are just problems you'll always encounter when live baiting.  We started the second drift though, and proceeded along bottom bashing. When we finished that drift, we made the call to fish some of the pylons and hopefully entice something hanging around structure. We sat around and in the eddies made by the pylons, to no avail whatsoever. My dad was disappointed alright, as he though the pylons would be the spot to catch 'em on. 
      We hit the pylon on the UQ size first, then did another drift through the middle of the river. It was nearing 8:00PM now, but I was still going strong (like my livie). 
      Oops. You can see my dad's very ugly feet in this one!
      We finished that drift, and even though it seemed like there wasn't any ground below us (just mud), I still thought this area would hold fish. I guess I was wrong, that's for sure. It was getting a bit later, and we thought the Dutton Park side pylon would hold something. We fished all around the pylon for about 15 minutes, and apart from getting snagged, it was deadly quiet. For the final half an hour or so before my dad succumbed to the 'not-having-a-chair-to-support-my-back' issue, we fished about 50 metres away from the jetty. It must've been right on tide change here, as we were barely moving at all. Then, we got back to the jetty by 9:00PM - a different group of people had moved in since the last time we were there, but luckily there was space for one of my rods. I kept it out until about 9:30PM, and then reluctantly wound it back in and departed Dutton Park...

      Please login or register to view this image Boy, was it disappointing to not catch a salmon on the last night of Suburbs of Origin.. Oh well! Here are the stats of the trip. 
      Statistics of Trip -
      Tide: 6:45PM, .2M, Low, 12:30AM, 2.1M, high
      Moon Phase: New Moon, lots of run
      Fish caught: - Sigh
      Bait caught: Herring, Mullet, Prawns, Winter Whiting, Glassies, Scat
      Bait used: Herring, Mullet, Winter Whiting
      Tackle used: 12, 14, 30 pound braid mainlines, 20-30lb leaders, 80lb mono trace, 30lb fluorocarbon trace, size 4/o suicide/circle hooks, large barrel swivel, size 2500 Shimano Nasci and Diawa Shinobi, 6"6 Venomat? rod, 8" Ugly Stik, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod, shocker and blood knots. 
      Weather: Windy, cloudy, cool
      Time fished: Approx. 7:00PM - 9:30PM
      Location: Dutton Park/Green Bridge 
      Overall Success Rate: 20% - Pretty Dud!
      Alright, thanks for reading everyone. I hope you all enjoyed this report marathon, that's for sure. Sorry for not getting that thready, Southside! Maybe if I kept my lines in for a minute more I would've . Stay safe  Sorry for any spelling errors/errors in this report as well. @GregOug, I'm sure you'll find something wrong with the punctuation Please login or register to view this image. 
      Cheers Hamish

      Please login or register to view this attachment
  • Latest Topics

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

  • Random Topics

  • Newest Clubs

  • Links