Fg Knot First Impression

Brodie_S

1 hour ago, a-frame81 said:

I've tried the FG a few times from 6lb braid to 8lb mono leader, but kept getting slipping and the know undoing. Probably doing something wrong.

I mostly use the modified albright and it seems to work ok. Might have to try the FG again on my baitcaster with 20lb braid and 30lb leader....

Yeah it’s quite tricky on light lines .sometimes when I tied the fg’s they slipped but after a doing a few I got the hang of it . And yeah modified Alberto and Albright knots are pretty good will still keep using the triple finish Alberto knot as it’s really good when it’s windy and you have to tie a braid to leader connection knot on the water . For light lines such as 4-8lb braid the Triple finish Alberto is pretty much the same in terms of strength and thinness but yeah for heavy lines over 10lb I would definitely recommend learning it as like drop bear said double uni’s Albright’s slim beauty’s etc make a scary sound when casting and over time the knot gets damaged from casting  through the thin guides . When I have the time though before fishing I’d probably still use a FG knot with 6lb . Because I think it’s stronger not %100 sure though sometimes when I get snagged and I have to snap the line %99 of the time the line near the hook snaps with using the triple finish Alberto even with 10lb leader line it sometimes does this I think daiwa j braid 6lb breaks more like at 8-10lb instead of the 6lb it’s listed as . And the knots I tie to the jigheads hooks and lures are good decent knots that often take a fair bit to snap I just use a uni knot and with 6lb line the knot usually snaps at 7lb I tested this myself with scales . Yeah would recommend trying to tie this for your bait caster setup it will very useful in that situation 

I had to google a couple of these knots. Had never heard of the PR knot - looks a bit fancy for me. Have tried the fg a few times and failed but might have another crack now I am not working and have a bit of spare time. Then I discovered that all these years I thought I was using the improved Albright, but turns out it is the Alberto, so there you go. Couldn’t find the triple finish Alberto but again, that might be a bit beyond my capabilities. Funny how we always want a good knot at the business end, but then hope it is the one that fails when we get a snag so we don’t have to ties a braid to fluro knot in a 10 knot breeze.

38 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Funny how we always want a good knot at the business end, but then hope it is the one that fails when we get a snag so we don’t have to ties a braid to fluro knot in a 10 knot breeze.

If I have the space, I take a couple of rods. So I can minimise tying a new leader out in the boat.

i ended up buying a knot assist2.0. It helps. 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I had to google a couple of these knots. Had never heard of the PR knot - looks a bit fancy for me. Have tried the fg a few times and failed but might have another crack now I am not working and have a bit of spare time. Then I discovered that all these years I thought I was using the improved Albright, but turns out it is the Alberto, so there you go. Couldn’t find the triple finish Alberto but again, that might be a bit beyond my capabilities. Funny how we always want a good knot at the business end, but then hope it is the one that fails when we get a snag so we don’t have to ties a braid to fluro knot in a 10 knot breeze.

The triple Alberto is the just the standard Alberto knot but when you finish the knot you put the braid back through the loop instead of doing this once you do it 3 times by wrapping it around the loop . Look up tackle advisors video on the Alberto knot and it shows you how to tie the knot with the triple finish . A small difference that doesn’t make the knot any more complicated to tie and makes the knot so much stronger . Before I just used the standard Alberto and %90 of the time when I got snagged the Alberto knot  would snap .now that I do the triple finish it rarely ever snaps and I have a lot my confidence in the knot 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I think I would need to be blindfolded in 30ft seas. The only knots I would be tiding would be in my intestines. @Junky, are you talking about the fg or Alberto?

FG. 

I sat down and learnt an easy way that works for me.

They are a very reliable knot. Same effect as a wire rope sock and technically the only knot in it is at the termination of the braid.  

Should be called FG WRAP. 

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Breaming with bro

That sounds good, I will have to learn the FG ( and possibly PR) knot this hols!

I know two leader knots, 3 knots (that you can use to tie your line to the hook), and that's it!

Simpleton much Hamish! 😉 

The only knot I know is the one on my speedo

The FG is a great knot, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve gotten my jig head bogged, tightened everything up to snap or pull him loose, and very rarely does the line snap at the FG, I don’t have any reels spooled lighter then 10lb though so not sure how I’d go trying it with lighter line.

Its definitely worth learning, and before long, you don’t think twice about tying it, just some practice and patients really

Yeah I’ve done it a few times with 6lb braid and leader and it’s pretty easy after you do it a few times i wouldn’t recommend doing this knot on the water though if it’s windy but on a calm day on a wharf or something it would be fairly easy to tie I just wrap my braid around my right thumb and then with that thumb pull the line a little bit to keep tension and then do the wraps with your left hand then when your done the wraps I do 2 half hitch’s around the braid and leader line and pull the knot tight when wet  then I just do 2 half hitches on the braid and put my drag super tight and see if it will hold and that’s how I tie my FG knot and it seems to do the trick . Oh I usually do 15-24 wraps depending on the line with 10lb braid and 20lb leader I will use 15 wraps and that seems to hold well but with 6lb braid and leader I use 22 wraps 

Well I finally decided to give it a go.

The FG knot (which I just did off this YouTube video) is very thin, and looks like a very suitable knot for the likes of lure fishing, and casting thick lines out. It will allow you to be able to cast a longer distance without the knot catching on any of the guides (eyes, or whatever you call them! 😉). 

I found it rather easy to learn off the video I watched, as it follows rather simply steps. First off, get your braid and leader, both taught, then wrap one side of the leader around the braid facing away from you, but then the next facing to you (easier done than said! 😜). Finally, you do a couple of knots on the top (half hitches actually). 

Yep, I know it's very yanky, but I think it's pretty good.

After I tied it, it seems pretty strong - I don't think it would be slipping. Here is a close up photo I took with my phone. I tied it on my telescopic rod, so 10lb braid to 20lb Black Magic leader. You can see how it's a bit bulky on one side, well that's because I did one of the half hitches with the leader not the mainline. Oops!

IMG_1271.jpg.83120b22af14e0096ea59c498369ca06.jpg

Cheers Hamish

Yeah don’t make that mistake again with tieing the half hitch’s with leader line  lmao yeah that’s the same video I used but the guy uploaded a newer one recently that shows you how to keep tension on the braid with your thumb and in my opinion is the easiest way to tie the FG I’ve tried seen and tried other methods but wore to difficult so I always use the thumb method now

42 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

The FG knot worked fine for me when I tied on an 80lb leader for some early season bullies today, christophagus (unsuccessfully).

Cheers Hamish

Nice one!! Looks good (apart from the accidental leader half hitch 😛 ). Looks like you could get it a bit tighter though. Yes you gotta keep everything tight throughout the process but before you cut the leader tag end give it all a proper pull... use gloves or whatever so you don't cut yourself. Otherwise when you load up on a fish (or snag lol) you'll pull through some of your half hitches and reducing the life of your knot. 

On 23/09/2020 at 10:10 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

IMG_1271.jpg.83120b22af14e0096ea59c498369ca06.jpg

Cheers Hamish

Hey Hamish,

You will want to keep practicing that and getting those loops tighter before using this for fishing. There should be no visible leader under your braid wraps. Feels tight and OK now but will be a guaranteed failure when it gets wet and a few casts in.

If you wiggle and push the braid wraps at the leader end (bottom of your picture) you will see your braid will start to unwind and loosen up.