gooodluck

Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen on my first post the other day I shared a pic of a shark I caught about 2 months ago off the shorncliffe pier.

one local on the pier thinks it is a gummy shark, however google search doesn’t seem to agree. 

can anyone help me identifying this shark with certainty?

just curious as I never knew for sure.

he looked like a baby, was about 75cm to the tip of his tail (didn’t actually measure him just threw him back quickly)

where I’m from originally in south Australia I remember lots of people used to target gummies for their dinner plate. Makes great flake apparently! 

my partner was very freaked out as she’d never seen a shark before, and due to the size, thought it was the right thing to let him go anyway. (However I do hear that if you Are going to keep a shark it’s better to keep them on the smaller side. I read the legal limit for most sharks is below 1.2m? Is this true?) 

cheers

5A743BBC-A9E3-403F-BDFB-B2B050F82F6D.jpeg

3A237334-1905-44CE-9CEF-F859A4643EB3.jpegSort of looks like it belongs to the carpet shark family to me- which type I’m not sure tho. Could be completely wrong tho as my knowledge is not good on sharks.

Hey gooodluck

Yep, as stated above that would be a catshark. I've only caught one onboard @ellicat's boat Ellicatch, but ellicat himself is the resident catshark expert on the forum 🙂 

All sharks and rays have a maximun legal limit of 1.5M in QLD waters. I believe the no take species are scalloped hammerhead, white pointer, and grey nurse (You'll find more on the DPI site though).

Cheers Hamish

11 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Yeah gummy are supposed to be nice eating. My mate ate Bull shark once and reckoned it tasted like absoulute dog turd. I put the same bully meat in a crab pot and the crabs wouldnt touch it either. 

Hey Nirvana

Bull Sharks are supposed to taste good if bled correctly after capture. This video may help - 

Cheers Hamish