Brisbane River Session #49, #50, #51, And #52

AUS-BNE-FISHO

6 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

Love the fishing enthusiasm and your dads a legend for getting out there with you as much as he does.

Hey Do$tylz

Thanks for that, and yep, he sure is! 

I tried to convince him to take his laptop out so he didn't have to go home before that... Am I crazy?! (According to him I am! 😉)

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Steve, that's awesome. I can now see which buoy we were fishing around, and that the main rocks we were around were the Cemetery Rocks. Those drop offs also line up perfectly to what I remember, as around that red float is was as deep as anything but near the pylons quite shallow. 

I have seen many a Youtube video of a lucky angler pulling in a thready or shark from the jetty, and have also chatted to some of the locals whom have caught some stonkas. Only problem is with them they are the same people who make up the WBB club there and leave the jetty trashed (I reckon if the council is going to aloud fishing there and since it's a recreation hub they should have a hose squirting water around so everyone can clean the jetty). I have literally seen them gut and scale a fish and leave the bad bits on the jetty! 

4 minutes ago, ellicat said:

An 'A' for effort, Hamish.

Was the muddied line also slimy ?

Hey Brian

Thanks for that, the muddied line was more like very muddy water... It wasn't slimy like it would be if it was catfish slime or something.

What were you thinking?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Also, I have seen whiting caught there, seen muddies there, (though I reckon it's been crabbed out like my local park as well as even I used to pull them up on my line but no more now), seen evidence of flatties caught there (some fella had the head of a big model in his crab pot, which he caught there), and of course the humble bream 🙂 

When my dad and I get more familiar/use the sounder more, we'll certainly see if we have that function and use it. I suppose it's another area that I can keep fishing more and try and work a pattern 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Yeah hooked a few massive catfish on the last night on the boat on light gear thought I had hooked a massive GT or a baby shark or something they went for massive runs some of them were up to like 5kg . But yeah good job on the bream I haven’t been bream fishing in a while the closest thing to bream fishing I’ve done on my trip is fishing for tilapia 

2 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah hooked a few massive catfish on the last night on the night on light gear thought I had hooked a massive GT or a baby shark or something they went for massive runs some of them were up to like 5kg 

Hey Breaming with bro

Yep, bigger catties will fight pretty darn hard on the silly string. They are supposed to make a good shark bait too.

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

Yes, I was thinking it may have been catty slime.

Nope, it could've have been cattie slime. It was all the line that was in the water and it was mud all up the line. Very annoying as it stains the eyes of the rod.

Cheers Hamish

Hey there Hamish, good work man, excellent, detailed report indeed, given your persistence, and the fact that your always trying with good live baits when you can get them,  I have no doubt that it’s only a matter of time before you’ll be doing a report about a stonking salmon, I’m looking forward to seeing the 100% overall success report 👍

24 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Hey there Hamish, good work man, excellent, detailed report indeed, given your persistence, and the fact that your always trying with good live baits when you can get them,  I have no doubt that it’s only a matter of time before you’ll be doing a report about a stonking salmon, I’m looking forward to seeing the 100% overall success report 👍

Hey Wazza

Thanks for that, I sure hope so. Hopefully I can tick off a good threadfin salmon this school holidays. That would sure make me happy when I go back to school - then I have something I can brag about to my teachers! 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Amazing report mate. If you put this much effort into your assignments you must be killing it at school.

Its great to see you having so much fun with it and kudos to your dad for patiently taking you out. Mine never did 🙂 Thankfully my grandfathers both loved to fish. 

Thanks for the report. 

Hi Drop Bear

Yeah, I think I do OK in school (I don't have the results for my latest English exam back though 😞). 

My dad is very patient, it's just damn lucky he likes to paddle while I fish. It's good your grandpa's took you out - you certainly learned from some great anglers as you catch some great fish! 

I love to write the reports. Hopefully one day I can write for a magazine 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Junky said:

Good on you Hamish. Well done pal. That was a great read and I managed to keep up. 

Can't wait for the threadie #2 thread. 

Hey Junky

Thanks for that, it was a very long read that's for sure. 

I'm hoping another thready will come up soon, though it'll be my forth. I've gotten one 65cm model (in session #21), and one 45cm model (in session #32) -they are no big fish though, so hopefully I can beat my PB soon! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

12 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Wazza

Thanks for that, I sure hope so. Hopefully I can tick off a good threadfin salmon this school holidays. That would sure make me happy when I go back to school - then I have something I can brag about to my teachers! 🙂 

Hi Drop Bear

Yeah, I think I do OK in school (I don't have the results for my latest English exam back though 😞). 

My dad is very patient, it's just damn lucky he likes to paddle while I fish. It's good your grandpa's took you out - you certainly learned from some great anglers as you catch some great fish! 

I love to write the reports. Hopefully one day I can write for a magazine 🙂 

Hey Junky

Thanks for that, it was a very long read that's for sure. 

I'm hoping another thready will come up soon, though it'll be my forth. I've gotten one 65cm model (in session #21), and one 45cm model (in session #32) -they are no big fish though, so hopefully I can beat my PB soon! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

Well pardon me. 

Seems like I'm not really keeping up am I? 

I promise to in future. 😉

1 minute ago, Junky said:

Well pardon me. 

Seems like I'm not really keeping up am I? 

I promise to in future. 😉

That's all good, but you might've missed a couple 😉 

The 84cm one was the best one I've caught, so it's lucky you found that one and not another - I'd feel pretty bad if you'd only read my donut reports because they're pretty boring! 

Cheers Hamish

I thought that the fishing up river would have improved with the lack of rain.

About 65 years ago before I met my wife her brother who lived in Harrogate St buranda on a saturday ued to take my wife and her sister and the dog, (Dog was to protect against ghosts in Dutton Park cemetery) and fish that area from the bank. Reg used to skite about a big jew that they caught there that was too big for one person to carry and Reg and Judy had to carry it back between them as Jenny refused to touch it.They tried to get onto a tram from Dutton Park and go into town and catch another tram to Buranda but the conductor would not allow them on the tram with a dog.

Reg was still fishing that area when I first started taking Judy out.

Cheers Ray

8 hours ago, jon said:

Nice report Hamish, those salmon can be a real pain to crack sometimes but keep at it you’ll nab another one soon. This is a good time of year for them so hopefully a few more will pop up for you

Hey jon

Yep, they've sure been a bit tricky at the moment. I was thinking that too, as the majority of the ones I've caught have been in April/May, so the temps in September/October may be similar, causing similar fish to be caught!

7 hours ago, Cavvy said:

Great report Hamish - must have taken some time to write. Lucky you're on holidays.  It was certainly peaceful out there and even though we caught nothing and I felt stiff as a board getting out it was a fun night.  A couple of things you missed though.....

- how you got me there on a Sunday night after getting me up at 5am to help catch some live bait.  "Apparently" some one on north side had entered a whole lot of fish and it was now 6 all with only one day remaining - a threadfin salmon could ensure South side wins!  What a sucker - clearly I need to read more posts.  Hamish filled me in on the way home that actually south side had it well won.

- who was unloading post trip at 10:00pm and who was off snoozing in bed?

Anyway can't complain as all I need to do is show up with all the gear prepared for me and all the rods and reels being cleaned the following day.  A bit like a charter!

Yep, it was very nice out there.

In my defence everyone, my dad would've been far more reluctant to take me out if I'd told him we were smashing it, (and his reaction was bloody funny when I told him). 

... But I've got nothing to say about unpacking everything. Guess I was too tired 😉 

You could start paying me $90 every time I fish with you as I am now the family charter man?

48 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

I thought that the fishing up river would have improved with the lack of rain.

About 65 years ago before I met my wife her brother who lived in Harrogate St buranda on a saturday ued to take my wife and her sister and the dog, (Dog was to protect against ghosts in Dutton Park cemetery) and fish that area from the bank. Reg used to skite about a big jew that they caught there that was too big for one person to carry and Reg and Judy had to carry it back between them as Jenny refused to touch it.They tried to get onto a tram from Dutton Park and go into town and catch another tram to Buranda but the conductor would not allow them on the tram with a dog.

Reg was still fishing that area when I first started taking Judy out.

Cheers Ray

Hi rayke1938

Yep, same here. Almost always when the water is more saline I catch better fish.

That is very interesting, a jew that big must've been a stonka! I met one fella there who caught a 1M+ jew off the jetty, but that was when it wasn't fished so hard. Another great story you tell, thanks for sharing 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Pretty busy around Southbank with school holidays happening. Not sure where you are planning to fish, but a few weeks ago I was walking around that area and stopped to watch a guy fight a fish that turned out to be nice thready around the metre mark. He needed some help to land it because of the rocks and no long handled landing net. He was using prawns, it was mid-morning and near the bottom of the tide. The secret location was right beside the Capt Cook bridge. Go get em, Hamish!

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Pretty busy around Southbank with school holidays happening. Not sure where you are planning to fish, but a few weeks ago I was walking around that area and stopped to watch a guy fight a fish that turned out to be nice thready around the metre mark. He needed some help to land it because of the rocks and no long handled landing net. He was using prawns, it was mid-morning and near the bottom of the tide. The secret location was right beside the Capt Cook bridge. Go get em, Hamish!

Thanks for the tips, Old Scaley. I have seen a few threadies caught in that general area on the internet. I mis-heard (alright maybe I just thought Southbank was near the Botanical Gardens) but that is where we ended up going. To start off with, I fished with bread under a mangrove tree, then when that didn't work after about 20 minutes I walked the rock wall with an EcoGear Bream vibe. 

I thought I might manage a bream on the bread as I did this last time, but unfortunately I was wrong. Then, I also didn't manage a bream/cod when walking down the rock wall 😞 Next time I'm in Southbank I'll have to try under that bridge! And I know my lure was hard up against structure because I could feel it bumping along the rocks. 

Cheers Hamish