Help With Choosing New Reel

Kat

I don't think it is about what you personally like @Breaming with bro and what you have caught on what reel and line class - @Kat asked for advice for a relative new comer (hope no offence is taken there kat - it is certainly not intended) and a 1000 size reel with 4-6lb line may be something you feel comfortable with, however, people with different experience levels may not feel comfortable using that equipment.

I personally use 2500-3000 size reels for anything from 4lb up to 15lb, on rods from 1-3kg up to 4-6kg for general estuary/bay/beach fishing.  I like the extra line capacity, extra drag capacity, castability and generally higher gear ratios of the larger reels. I do have some 1000 size reels that i use exclusively for flicking plastics, however, as an all rounder the 2500 size is generally more versatile and will likely match up with the rod Kat mentioned better.

3 minutes ago, benno573 said:

I don't think it is about what you personally like @Breaming with bro and what you have caught on what reel and line class - @Kat asked for advice for a relative new comer (hope no offence is taken there kat - it is certainly not intended) and a 1000 size reel with 4-6lb line may be something you feel comfortable with, however, people with different experience levels may not feel comfortable using that equipment.

I personally use 2500-3000 size reels for anything from 4lb up to 15lb, on rods from 1-3kg up to 4-6kg for general estuary/bay/beach fishing.  I like the extra line capacity, extra drag capacity, castability and generally higher gear ratios of the larger reels. I do have some 1000 size reels that i use exclusively for flicking plastics, however, as an all rounder the 2500 size is generally more versatile and will likely match up with the rod Kat mentioned better.

Very well said benno573 - in fact, if I'm deadly honest (and a bit embarrassed about), I'm hardly comfortable using line that light! 😜 I reckon the 2500 certainly seems to be the most recommended. I'll be curious to what you get today Kat - hopefully it serves you well...

And just a heads up @Kat, Shimano Australia and New Zealand Provide a ten year warranty on all reels. That's very handy when first choosing, because you can always replace if it ends up as a dud.

https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/warranty.html

Cheers Hamish

Geez @Kat, I bet you weren’t expecting this much advice. I can’t add anything to the wealth of advice above, but I did notice that apart from the line weight there hasn’t been any real talk about whether to use braid or mono. I am sure there will be no shortage of opinions on that front, and you may already have that choice sorted but here is some basic info just in case.

Braid is exceptionally good if you are going to be using lures or soft plastics, but you will need to learn the right knots for joining your braid mainline to your mono or fluorocarbon leader if you don’t know them already. A lot of bait fishers prefer mono, but you can use braid for bait as well, as long as you have a decent length leader to allow some stretch in the line. And you can use mono for lures, just not as effectively.  The type of rod you choose might vary depending on your choice of line too. A braid rod will generally have a faster taper and feel stiffer compared to a slower, softer rod that would suit mono. If you are buying new line at the same time as your new reel, ask the store to put the line on the reel for you. That service is usually free and they will do a better job than you can because they have the right gear.

By the time you analyse all the advice in this thread, you will probably end up more confused than when you started. Most of the salespeople at the tackle shop are pretty good and will steer you in the right direction if you tell them your budget, the type of fishing you do and any ideas that you already have. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

For starters the size of the rod guides influences how far you can cast and a 2500 won’t make much difference or no difference at all in fact the best reels for further casting are shallow spool reels such as the Sedona 2000 and I’ve also never had a rod with a heavy tip and facing down with small reels and I personally think a 2500 is overkill Shimano’s 2500 anyway . I know everyone has different opinions and that’s fine but personally i think it’s plain silly for someone to use a shimano 2500 for bream whiting and flathead fishing . I also recommend everyone check out this article it explains more reasons why a 2500 reel isn’t as good as a 1000 for 2-4kg rod 

5DF665CE-6077-44A3-9890-890C4D094529.jpeg

Yo BmB, I will kindly disagree with you here 🙂 You're on the right track in terms of trying to understand the things that impact your fishing, but I would disagree with your findings or interpretations.

Even in the article, the author is talking about the reel size in perspective of finesse bream fishing. Not general fishing. It's a whole different ball game when you want to get into talking about finesse bream/tournament bream.

18 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

Yo BmB, I will kindly disagree with you here 🙂 You're on the right track in terms of trying to understand the things that impact your fishing, but I would disagree with your findings or interpretations.

Even in the article, the author is talking about the reel size in perspective of finesse bream fishing. Not general fishing. It's a whole different ball game when you want to get into talking about finesse bream/tournament bream.

Yeah. Like hell it is. If I were to get into finesse bream fishing I probably wouldn't be able to see the line it's that thin! 😛 

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, benno573 said:

You do have a good point here but when I first started fishing I used horrible cheap gear that was to heavy for the type of general purpose fishing and it wasn’t until I bought lighter gear I learnt how to actually catch fish this is why I’m so confident about why I don’t think 2500 size reels  and 10lb line are good for beginners I used 4lb  mono line a super cheap 1000 size reel and crappy telescopic rod but it done the job and the thing I noticed the most when I switched from heavy to lighter gear that I was usually the only person catching fish around the area as I got more experienced I upgraded and bought proper gear a daiwa aird 2000 and a atomic arrowz bream surface rod 2pc with 6lb braid and then I started using lures and learned how to catch flathead and I’ve been learning and improving since and that’s why I fish with light gear and tell people to start with light gear after a awhile of fishing with light gear you start to realise how much it can handle and it’s true capability . Not saying if you fish with 2500 reels you won’t catch anything that’s just silly and doesn’t make sense I’m just saying when you fish with lighter gear you have more feel of the lure and bait your using and is so much more balanced a. I wouldn’t recommend anything to anyone unless I know it would good I’ve been a beginner before and know how it feels not knowing everything and I’m just pointing out what was helpful when I first started fishing that’s all I’m not looking for a agruement on why 2500 reels are better then 1000 size reels for bream whiting flathead etc and vice versa . Just saying what works what I’ve tried and learned . Also the size of a rod guides influences your cast ability so much more then reel size and high drag capacity is pretty much useless for estuary fishing the more pressure you put on a fish the harder it’s going to fight and your more likely to lose it or pull hooks That’s why for flathead fishing I use a basic rule of thumb low and slow I point my rod tip down when bringing in flatties so they don’t rub their teeth on the leader and I also make sure I take my time fishing isn’t a race . Also a high gear Ratio reels also aren’t very useful most of the fish I catch are on super slow retrieves and on top of that makes the drive gear weaker because to make a reel with a higher gear ratio the drive gear teeth have to be smaller then a regular 5.:01 gear ratio but doesn’t really make a difference in most reels . My Stradic is a high gear ratio so I reel my lures in a lot slower then a normal gear ratio reel . And  do$tylz  the article Clearly states that he has easily caught Salmon and jewfish on these light setups and also goes into to detail on how a 2500 reel can throw a 7 foot 2-4kg rod off balance and The article also says that 1000 size reel wind knot easily but I haven’t had a problem I’m pretty sure that only applies for older reels the articles from 2009 the reels today are a lot better .when it comes to fishing everyone has different opinions but me and a lot of others will say that 1000 size reels are better for general purpose fishing it’s just a unpopular opinion . If for some reason you still want to argue about opinion based reel sizes still just message me instead of posting on Kats topic this is about reel recommendations not about reel sizes and disadvantages and advantages of both .hope that’s the end of this silly 😝 debate on something that’s mainly opinion based 

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Geez @Kat, I bet you weren’t expecting this much advice. I can’t add anything to the wealth of advice above, but I did notice that apart from the line weight there hasn’t been any real talk about whether to use braid or mono. I am sure there will be no shortage of opinions on that front, and you may already have that choice sorted but here is some basic info just in case.

Braid is exceptionally good if you are going to be using lures or soft plastics, but you will need to learn the right knots for joining your braid mainline to your mono or fluorocarbon leader if you don’t know them already. A lot of bait fishers prefer mono, but you can use braid for bait as well, as long as you have a decent length leader to allow some stretch in the line. And you can use mono for lures, just not as effectively.  The type of rod you choose might vary depending on your choice of line too. A braid rod will generally have a faster taper and feel stiffer compared to a slower, softer rod that would suit mono. If you are buying new line at the same time as your new reel, ask the store to put the line on the reel for you. That service is usually free and they will do a better job than you can because they have the right gear.

By the time you analyse all the advice in this thread, you will probably end up more confused than when you started. Most of the salespeople at the tackle shop are pretty good and will steer you in the right direction if you tell them your budget, the type of fishing you do and any ideas that you already have. Good luck!

Hey @Old Scaley yes you are right OMG - I should be at BCF shopping but am still reading and thinking! 😬 - I don't want to put my choice in the shop staffs hands at all.  Maybe it is because I am a woman - but my experience is that staff want to just choose for me or rush me or are condescending. Not all but some - havent been to BCF but better to be safe and do my own research - than sorry.

Anyway everyone thanks so much - this is a link to the rod and reel I purchased which to tell you the truth I quite liked and seemed that I was catching fish when others weren't - most of the time anyway. Maybe if I knew what size reel it was and line etc I could make my decision more easily - can anyone tell me? It came already spooled with braid and the shop owner gave me 10lb fluro for leader.  No idea what weight the braid is or size the reel is - my model is the 702L https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/abu-garcia-salty-fighter-combo/

I should have known this from the start but you can't know what you don't know.

15 minutes ago, Kat said:

The review on BCF says that they are disappointed with the Nasci because it has no reverse anymore?  What is the reverse and what purpose does it serve?

The Shimano’s Nasci is great reel for estuary fishing regardless if you buy the 1000 or 2500 the reverse switch makes the reel turn backwards which’s is a useless feature and it’s actually a good it was removed because a lot of people had issues where salt and water got into the switch and messed up the reel . Edit the 2500 size is light enough to balance the 2-4kg rods because it’s a light reel

7 minutes ago, Ed. said:

642409514_2020-09-2419_00_28-AbuGarciaSaltyFighterCombo.thumb.jpg.a0fe300e5074b927d35e4c3bf54fb481.jpgHi Kat, so this is the combo you bought:

It's 702 inches long, 2-4kg line class can cast 5-17 gram lures, it is a size 30 reel and holds 180m of 10lb line with 6.4kg drag.

Hi Ed 

Yeah got that - don't actually understand the drag bit but what I really wanted to do was compare that reel size to the 1000/2500 debate.  Any idea?  

Oh and what weight braid would it have come with?

3 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

The Shimano’s Nasci is great reel for estuary fishing regardless if you buy the 1000 or 2500 the reverse switch backs the reel turn backwards which’s is a useless feature and it’s actually a good it was removed because a lot of people had issues where salt and water got into the switch 

The 1000 fits my budget a little better - and when I have much more to spend in a couple of months maybe I should look at a bigger rod/reel combo then?  I am pretty confused but learning bit by bit.  My brother in law just explained the gears to me 😏

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Hi Ed 

Yeah got that - don't actually understand the drag bit but what I really wanted to do was compare that reel size to the 1000/2500 debate.  Any idea?

The reel is 30 which means 3000 I’m not familiar with abu Garcia reel sizes compared to other brands but I’m pretty sure it’s around 2000 or 2500 by shimano and daiwa standards 

1 minute ago, Breaming with bro said:

The reel is 30 which means 3000 I’m not familiar with abu Garcia reel sizes compared to other brands but I’m pretty sure it’s around 2000 or 2500 by shimano and daiwa standards 

Ah okay this is where i might be able to check with staff at BCF or can I just actually compare the physical size - probably do that.  Cheers

That is another  reason I like live liners/bait feeder style reels, lets say you wound up too much line and are about to cast, I would just engage the secondary drag, let out some line, flick it back and good to go with the correct length of line I wanted. The drag is basically a clutch that can be tightened, the more you tighten up the drag washer , the harder it is for the fish to pull line off.

1 minute ago, Kat said:

The 1000 fits my budget a little better - and when I have much more to spend in a couple of months maybe I should look at a bigger rod/reel combo then?  I am pretty confused but learning bit by bit.  My brother in law just explained the gears to me 😏

Yeah check out the Stradic FL 4000 or 5000 if you can stretch your money that far if you want a really good reel for a bigger combo and also atomic arrowz rods are a pretty good brand to everyone I know including my self who owns one loves them there pretty good and if you’re lucky you might find them under $120 I did for my one I got cost $112

4 minutes ago, Ed. said:

That is another  reason I like live liners/bait feeder style reels, lets say you wound up too much line and are about to cast, I would just engage the secondary drag, let out some line, flick it back and good to go with the correct length of line I wanted. The drag is basically a clutch that can be tightened, the more you tighten up the drag washer , the harder it is for the fish to pull line off.

Oh right of course drag.  But the rest of the comment confuses me - too much line - cast and secondary drag? Is this a different style of reel you are talking about?  I am not someone who enjoys shopping much so havent looked at anything else....

The drag is just a  brake clutch that you can adjust when fishing so if you tighten it up it makes the it harder for a fish to pull line of your spool when it makes a run, example if you hook a bream and it goes for a run towards some structure and you want to stop it before it gets there, so you would tighten up the drag a bit. be aware that if the drag you have set exceeds the line capacity of the line , once the stretch in the line is at maximum then the line will snap, so you always need to be aware of how much you tighten the drag.

1 minute ago, Ed. said:

The drag is just a  brake clutch that you can adjust when fishing so if you tighten it up it makes the it hatder for a fish to pull line of your spool when it maks a run, example if you hook a bream and it goes for a run towards some structure and you want to stop it before it gets there, so you would tighten up the drag a bit. be aware that if the drag you have set exceeds the line capacity of the line , once the stretch in the line is at maximum then the line will snap, so you always need to be aware of how much you tighten the drag.

Yes that happened to me last weekend - got something big hooked up - no idea what and panicked, tightened drag and snap.  You live and learn

Yeah a bait runner has 2 drags but I wouldn’t recommend them I think it’s best just stick to normal spin reels 

3 minutes ago, Kat said:

Oh right of course drag.  But the rest of the comment confuses me - too much line - cast and secondary drag? Is this a different style of reel you are talking about?  I am not someone who enjoys shopping much so havent looked at anything else....

Just now, Kat said:

I believe the style of reel Ed. is talking about is a baitrunner reel, Kat.

These reels are very similar to spinning reels, but there is a switch you flick which makes the line just come out of the reel with no pressure. It is especially good for fishing when you have a rod stuck in a rod holder, and then the fish can run with no pressure on.

By having the line coming out free, when you switch the baitrunner 'function' off, you will be put into normal drag (like Ed. explained well above) and start fighting the fish. I can show you a picture of one if it helps tomorrow, Kat (in fact, did that series of pics/vids I made in one of my above posts help at all?)

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

The Bait runner/live liners are a different sort of reel to the one you purchased, on mine there is a secondary brake which once you cast your line in  and if there is too much current, what will happen is that you will have to loosen up the drag so it doesn't run out but that also means that if you have a fish bite your bait then you will have to tighten up the drag before you strike  or hold the spool. It also allows you to set it so the bait stays stationary with almost no drag on the line and when a fish bites and goes for a run it won't detect the drag, then when you turn the handle it goes to the main drag and you can fight the fish with the set fighting drag.

On 23/09/2020 at 5:43 PM, Kat said:

Hi Everyone

Okay so I bought an Abu Garcia Salty Fighter 2-4kg/BMAX30 Combo as my first fishing rod about 12 weeks ago.  Don't laugh but being new to fishing the owner of the tackle shop basically picked it out for me so I didnt look at anything else. Also I didn't know that salt water was so fatal to reels.  I have learnt my lesson but now need a new reel.  Budget is about $100.00.  please provide some suggestions... looking to purchase tomorrow or friday

Cheers Katrina

Have a look at the combos on the mo tackle website sometimes the have awesome sales on I've seen $300 reels go out on clearance for $100. What are you targeting with your new combo ? Are you looking for an allrounder ? Some of the Penn gear is reasonably priced and you can give it a hard time with tt shout having to worry to much.

Just now, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah a bait runner has 2 drags but I wouldn’t recommend them I think it’s best just stick to normal spin reels 

There isn't anything wrong with them, especially for someone fishing with baits predominately. I don't often use the function on mine (just set the drag loose 🙂) but if using lures you may want to just get a normal spinning reel...

Lures can still be flicked on a bait-runner... It's just not what they're meant for.

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I believe the style of reel Ed. is talking about is a baitrunner reel, Kat.

These reels are very similar to spinning reels, but there is a switch you flick which makes the line just come out of the reel with no pressure. It is especially good for fishing when you have a rod stuck in a rod holder, and then the fish can run with no pressure on.

By having the line coming out free, when you switch the baitrunner 'function' off, you will be put into normal drag (like Ed. explained well above) and start fighting the fish. I can show you a picture of one if it helps tomorrow, Kat (in fact, did that series of pics/vids I made in one of my above posts help at all?)

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

OMG Hamish.  I have been meaning to thank you!!... and say I will have to look more closely at the cleaning tips when I have finished with the reel decision.  I plan on being at BCF first thing morning so I can get a reel and go fishing as it is my last chance until Monday or later.  Thanks so much Hamish.  

8 minutes ago, Ed. said:

The Bait runner/live liners are a different sort of reel to the one you purchased, on mine there is a secondary brake which once you cast your line in  and if there is too much current, what will happen is that you will have to loosen up the drag so it does run out but that also means that if you have a fish bite your bait then you will have to tighten up the drag before you strike  or hold the spool . It also allows you to set it so the bait stays stationary with almost no drag on the line and when a fish bites and goes for a run it won't detect the drag, then when you turn the handle it goes to the main drag and you can fight the fish with the set fighting drag.

Ooh that sounds handy - I am currently sort of trying to do that manually with the drag - adjusting it all the time.  But that is also because the reel I am using temporarily is horrible.

2 minutes ago, Kat said:

Thanks.  BTW I am pretty sure it was your tips on catching Bream that increased my hook up rate and catch rate.  

Well it makes sense. It's in his username! 😉 

2 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Some fish like to grab a bait and swim away without swallowing it so it lets them run and once it is firmly in their mouth or swallowed you just strike with the preset main drag in an instant.

A species you will hear this for a lot is smaller bull sharks. If you ever target them (anyone), the main technique is to let it run for a minute or so, then set the hooks. I have done it like this many times and been successful...

Got to wait until it warms up for some good sharks though!

Cheers Hamish 🙂