Brisbane River Session #53 And #54

AUS-BNE-FISHO

shame no bullies around yet. Ive tried a few times now for zero luck

Tried Bribie island last week for the big stuff but got no runs. Still a bit cold i recon, few more weeks should start to fire up! ive seen a few small ones caught but not consistently yet. 

that bream would make a good live bait...just sayin 🤪

Hey Chris

Yep, I reckon they'll be firing soon though. I'm going to try for one on my light gear this time - just a pup but should be fun, that's for sure.

Bugger that you got none at Bribie... As for bully baits, I've found mullet superior to everything else (but haven't tried bream yet though).

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

4 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Chris

Yep, I reckon they'll be firing soon though. I'm going to try for one on my light gear this time - just a pup but should be fun, that's for sure.

Bugger that you got none at Bribie... As for bully baits, I've found mullet superior to everything else (but haven't tried bream yet though).

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Just now, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I think casting a a legal sized bream might be a lil tricky 🤣

You would most likely launch it with a break away weight. I did this last Summer with a big catfish for nothing.

Then again, I could cast a bream on one of the rods I have... It might not be too pleasant though 🤣

Cheers Hamish

If you’re fishing from a pontoon or jetty then it’s easier to cast a bit bait live or not. Just swing it back and forth to build momentum and lob it as best you can. 

@AUS-BNE-FISHO the biggest river bull I’ve caught was on the smallest live mullet I’ve even caught in my net lol mullet are the gun live baits for sure

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

You could always free swim it without any weight, then you don't need to cast it.

Yep, that's sure another option ellicat. I did it once at Colleges Crossing with a 30cm live mullet.

The only problem I have found with this method is the bait will often swim back to shore, which is a bit annoying.

1 minute ago, christophagus said:

If you’re fishing from a pontoon or jetty then it’s easier to cast a bit bait live or not. Just swing it back and forth to build momentum and lob it as best you can. 

@AUS-BNE-FISHO the biggest river bull I’ve caught was on the smallest live mullet I’ve even caught in my net lol mullet are the gun live baits for sure

Yep, that's what I do if I have a big bait (unless we are deciding to use a brick as break-away weight which is rare). 

All my bullies have been the same size or thereabouts. I caught most of my sharks at the end of 2019/start of 2020. I will probably just keep targeting threadies, and catch the bullies as by-catch mainly (and every now and then have a bully session).

Cheers Hamish

Nice one, that would've put up a hell of a fight. 

I can't guess/haven't been to the spot so I know it's not around me (or it might be, and I might not know 🤣).

@christophagus, would you want to meet up for a sharking session when it really warms up (and other AFO members as well?). 

Cheers Hamish

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Nice one, that would've put up a hell of a fight. 

I can't guess/haven't been to the spot so I know it's not around me (or it might be, and I might not know 🤣).

@christophagus, would you want to meet up for a sharking session when it really warms up (and other AFO members as well?). 

Cheers Hamish

Spot X haha

yeah absolutely. Once it heats up let’s go chase them down! I’ve got a few tags left so anything over 1m we can tag and record their details

2 minutes ago, christophagus said:

Spot X haha

yeah absolutely. Once it heats up let’s go chase them down! I’ve got a few tags left so anything over 1m we can tag and record their details

Alright, thought so! 

That sounds good with the tags as well. We can figure out a spot down the track 🙂. I've never tagged sharks so would be excited to do so, that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Good report, Hamish. I only just got around to reading it. That was a nice bream.

Be careful in the sit in yak - they're a bit of a challenge to get out of and right if you overturn.

Hey ellicat

Thanks for that, yep, it was a pretty solid fish. I went out in the sit in yak on the river yesterday. We probably paddled about 3KM all up, as we went down to the boat ramp that is nearby...

I was doing circle work a lot of the time as I was getting used to how the yak turned... But mainly the fact the the wind kept getting the better of me! I was paddling decently in it by the end though, and I was pretty happy with the balance. I can put some pictures up later today when I get piccys off my dad.

Cheers Hamish  🙂 

23 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Great report Hamish, You really put in the effort.

Just don't let Greg read it as 100 + 100 don't make 500.🤣

Just kidding, I knew what you meant.:ausflag:

Hey Angry51

Thanks for that, the wind we are having at the moment (and the tide times) makes it inconvenient for me to fish, which is annoying. 

I think it's to late - Greg has seen all right!

Cheers Hamish