Friday 2/10/20 Get Together

ellicat

7 minutes ago, ellicat said:

All bait and tackle supplied. Just BYO food and drink (I'll have water and coffee) as I've had a big sleep in and left my run a bit late to get food.

Did you sleep in because you were exhausted from pulling in the big ones last night? Hope you left a few in the ocean for Kat and Hamish tomorrow.

Just now, ellicat said:

Seems that Greg and his boys and Kat and Hamish took all the fish before us. Just a couple of unders, a fish that can't be named and a reef shark that found its way to the esky for @Leosonfire.

Bugger, we got only unders the whole time yesterday as well (biggest 32cm) and a 40cm it so juvenile samsonfish (@GregOug, if you google a juvenile one you could see the similarities)

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

Seems that Greg and his boys and Kat and Hamish took all the fish before us. Just a couple of unders, a fish that can't be named and a reef shark that found its way to the esky for @Leosonfire.

Very generous of you Brian, to not rape and pillage the ocean as is your usual wont. Although the absence of a report from the Greg/Hamish/Kat expedition makes me a tad dubious about their success as well. 

4 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Very generous of you Brian, to not rape and pillage the ocean as is your usual wont. Although the absence of a report from the Greg/Hamish/Kat expedition makes me a tad dubious about their success as well. 

Hamish is doing the report (he is so good at them) but I only just sent him photos and I lost count of the amount of undersize Squires we caught.  

11 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Also, I have to say the waters around the Viccy Point ramp have gotten a lot shallower than they were a dozen years ago !

Does that mean your prop is now a little shinier than it was before the trip? 🤣. It is pretty well marked out from that ramp but still easy to find the earth. How long did you stay out?

14 minutes ago, Kat said:

Hamish is doing the report (he is so good at them) but I only just sent him photos and I lost count of the amount of undersize Squires we caught.  

I might be wrong, but seems to me that once you hit a school of those rat squire nothing else gets a chance to get to the bait. They always seem to be in that 30 to 34cm size range and very hungry.

7 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Thanks must go out to Kat and my boy, Tom, who dove into the shark infested mud to push my boat to the ramp. It took me hours to wash it off this morning. Tom thinks he’ll be able to walk again when his oyster cuts heal sufficiently. The last I saw of Kat as I drove off was her left hand waving frantically as the rest of her sank into the mud. 

Which ramp did you use? The one near the Coochie ferry terminal, or the all tide one with the pontoon?

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Also, I have to say the waters around the Viccy Point ramp have gotten a lot shallower than they were a dozen years ago !

The tide was low when I left the Victoria Point boat ramp. @ellicat had ‘launched’ his boat at that stage and was waiting for @Leosonfire to arrive.

How low was the tide?

Well, let’s just say that when @Leosonfire did finally arrive he wouldn’t have had to jump in the boat. He would have been able to walk into it. By that time the boat would have sunk into the mud enough. 

5 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

It is a bit tricky but if you watch your markers you should be able to get in and out on dead low. Hope you didn’t do any damage.

Yeah. We were able to watch the markers. We could have upgraded them to new ones for the Fisheries Department if the mud hadn’t been so deep. 

🤣 Hit one solitary rock and had to reverse out of another spot. Nothing to serious. It was 40cm deep in the 'channel'.

Got back to the ramp about 1am. In bed by 3am. Up at 4pm feeling a little stiff.

Does your wife work nights too?