When Are Treble Hooks Allowed?

SoldierCrab

I'm new to fishing in Australia. In America almost everyone uses at least one treble hook when trolling or suspending live bait for mackerel. I never see anyone use them in Australia except with lures. Are they Allowed to be used on baitfish? I can't find any information online, but i noticed bcf sells a pre-made leader with 1 treble hook and it made me curious.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey SoldierCrab

Welcone to the forum - you’ll be able to find lots of good tips on here for fishing in Australia.

You are permitted to have three sets of treble hooks on one line or on one lure - so yes, it is 100% legal.

Cheers Hamish

Yeah like Hamish said I’m pretty sure it’s legal everywhere in Australia. Just a tip Good bait for trolling is garfish they can be caught using bread and a float rig In the ocean near rocks .a lot of people use garfish in Australia for bait as it’s not only good for estuary fishing everything in the ocean eats them . They are also very popular for tailor which is just bluefish but in Australia we call them tailor . Hope that helps I don’t know how new you are to fishing in Australia but I thought I would tell you about the garfish cause you seem to be into you’re offshore fishing and ocean fishing 

There is one thing to be careful of  which is, it is illegal to use those treble hooks for jagging fish, this is where you use large trebles and cast through a school of fish and whip it back in an attempt to jag a fish, this includes baitfish. I think it is a $200 fine and I am fairly certain it could be an Australia wide law, on a lure, trebles they are fine, but not on their own. You would have to do some asking around to see if that applies to the state you intend to fish in if that is what you intend to use those treble hooks for.

16 hours ago, SoldierCrab said:

I'm new to fishing in Australia. In America almost everyone uses at least one treble hook when trolling or suspending live bait for mackerel. I never see anyone use them in Australia except with lures. Are they Allowed to be used on baitfish? I can't find any information online, but i noticed bcf sells a pre-made leader with 1 treble hook and it made me curious.

It’s actually really common in Australia all around the country to use a treble hook at the tail end of a bait and a j hook through the nose especially when floating or trolling Livies. We call it a stinger. It is most commonly used for the exact purposes you talked of, chasing mackerel it is 100% legal. I always have a few light gauge single strand wire rigs with treble stingers made up when the mackerel are about

3 minutes ago, jon said:

It’s actually really common in Australia all around the country to use a treble hook at the tail end of a bait and a j hook through the nose especially when floating or trolling Livies. We call it a stinger. It is most commonly used for the exact purposes you talked of, chasing mackerel it is 100% legal. I always have a few light gauge single strand wire rigs with treble stingers made up when the mackerel are about

What gauge wire do you use?

1 hour ago, jon said:

For that purpose it is but not a treble hook on it's own with no bait  as far as I know. Although I do not know how you would prove that there was  bait on the treble if the bait just got chewed off!