Why Do Reels Get Geary

Brodie_S

I’ve noticed after using reels for awhile anywhere from 3/4 months they get geary . I haven’t had this issue in my Stradic and my legalis lt Nero . My theory is that the main gear pinon gear and oscillation gear get worn out to the point where they start to making that horrible geary feel . Note the reels still spin the same but the actual feel of the reel is different . All reels that have done this I’ll list below 

shimano cazna 2500 FA .Note this reel has been out for like 10 years now and is outdated. today for the same price you can get a sienna FG. I still use this reel but not often . Also the drag is kind of broken On this reel so yeah that’s annoying I only used it like 6 times and then one day I went to use it and the drag was worst then those $5 kids rod reel combos . I didn’t even abuse my drag I didn’t catch a single fish on that reel that went for massive runs

Abu Garcia black max 2500 . Note not my reel but one of my friends reel he had for like 2 months and it feels pretty geary we swapped combos one time fishing for like 10 minutes and the reel felt horrible .the reel feels silky smooth brand new

Jarvis walker Kmart plastic reels no surprise here 

Daiwa aird lt 2000 amazingly smooth for like 3 months then goes down hill after that applying grease helps it . But does not fix it still feels geary although I still use this reel fairly often

shimano FX 1000 the white one not the new black and gold one. This reel was the first reel I used when I actually learnt how to fish after ditching my Kmart gear which caused me 2 years of wasted fishing time. %95 of time I didn’t catch anything using the Kmart gear and if I did it was undersized .anyway the shimano fx felt amazing compared to my Jarvis walker gear and I loved it and actually started catching fish with it after 3 months the bail arm broke but still worked it just wasn’t snappy anymore and after 9 months it was pretty geary and then that’s when I got the aird lt and cazna . I still keep the little silver spool for sentimental purposes . The reason I threw it out was because I tried to fix the gearyness and the bail arm with some tools and some cheap non reel grease and I couldn’t pull it apart and the parts I did pull apart I couldn’t get back together. This was before I knew anything about spinning reels . Pulled this Apart after I bought the aird 

so I think it’s mainly cheaper reels but I was wondering what everyone else thinks . And what experience other people have with geary reels 

29 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

It’s like you can feel the gear teeth moving as you spin the reel and the reel isn’t smooth anymore . Adding grease does not fix this or servicing the reel does not fix this . It free spins for the same amount of time as brand new though

Just do what I do. Nothing. They seem to work fine then. Don’t add grease. Don’t adjust anything. And whatever you do, don’t pull them apart!

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

Just do what I do. Nothing. They seem to work fine then. Don’t add grease. Don’t adjust anything. And whatever you do, don’t pull them apart!

And don't catch big fish. It wears the drag out. 

BMB.....the tollerences in the lapping of the gears over time increases. Much like a car diff. Also, a brass pinion on a crappy cast alloy crown gear chews out the crown gear teeth. 

Grease just fills the tolerance gap for a while. 

51 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Corroded bearing maybe. Saragosa 5000 is like that for me currently due to a few dunkings.

Na it’s not a bearing it usually when water or liquid gets on the gears and washes the grease off and speeds ups the wear and tear process due to the lack of lubricantion and wears the gears quicker. Today I had the reopen my cazna or whatever you can call it now because some of the RP7 was still in the gears and I wiped a little bit off and added a bit more grease and it made it better . But cheaper reels wear out quicker to even when there probably lubricanted . I’m pretty sure Die cast zinc main gears and brass pinion gears wear out a lot quicker compared to a brass pinion gears and a aluminium drive gears or other different metals this pretty much explains why when you get into the $100+ range daiwa exceller and Shimano nasci etc have a like brand new feel even after using them for long time and also because the gear teeth are usually a lot bigger .the 2500 shimano main gears are tiny in the cheaper range I would put money on that my 1000 Stradic has a bigger drive gear then a 2500 sienna FE the new FG series has seemed to feature a bigger drive drive gear then the FE model which is nice to

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just the cheaper reals that get geary. All the top end real4 daiwas from back in the day got geary but it was just part and parcel of how they were made. Didn't cause any issues and in fact those reels are in demand atm. Can't find a decent quality certate of that era anywhere. Haven't been able to for ages.

My 2 exists are geary and my luvito is starting to now as well.

Just sharing that there are many possible reasons why.

52 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Well I found a removable bung on the side of my sustain and put a pit of a squirt of oil in it. 

It fixed it and now runs as smooth as silk... I don't know how long for. I still cant get the grub screw off the shaft that holds the spool...

It will have to do now as I leave on Monday

Nice yeah a lot of the older midrange shimano reels have that the Stradic FJ has that to also where are you going

On 16/10/2020 at 6:32 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Best of luck on the trip @Drop Bear.

Thanks mate. 

You should hit up your dad to take you up there one time. 

The charter we use is https://www.nccharters.com.au/

I would recommend them any day. 

I like the 4 night charters. More than that and I find I get a bit over it and over living with 10 drunks haha.