Seriously... C'mon Mr Snapper!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

7 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Today I set out for a fishing trip with Brian, Kat, and Steve (ellicat, Kat, and Old Scaley). We met at the Port of Brisbane boat ramp at approximately 5:45AM (I got there right on the dot and everyone else was there a bit before me), and I boarded Steve's 4.35M tinny, and Kat hopped in Brian's boat. After loading up the gear, we were getting ready to set off. Robbie (Drop Bear) came down early as well just to have a chat, so it was good to meet him as well. Hopefully next time it will be fishing @Drop Bear 🙂. There was a big dead ray at the ramp right on the top which is a bit of a shame. Obviously someone couldn't even be bothered to throw it back if they were just going to kill it! 

IMG_20201002_053134.thumb.jpg.87887814668c743cbd1f95dd948e00cd.jpg

A lovely sunrise shot (thanks Kat)

After we said goodbye to Robbie (and my dad Dave) we set off to go to Mud Island. I believe we were on the East side... We got to the mark and found a good drop off which Kat and Brian anchored up on and Steve and I spot locked on (With the electric!). I dropped my line down with a bit of prawn and got pickered straight away, and not longer after Brian was on a little pinky. Steve and I kept getting pickered by the small ones, and we pulled one or two up eventually (I lie, Steve did, I was still on the donut at that point, Lol). It seemed we were sitting on a school of little buggers. Soon after this, Kat hooked up on what seemed like a better fish. It was putting up an OK fight which we could see from the other boat, and it was a fair size squire. It was measured, and low and behold the first keeper of the day was landed! Woohoo. Good job Kat! She had caught a couple before, a small grassy empereor and pickers too. 

IMG_20201002_071148.thumb.jpg.298d097a7a323f88ac657e5f6b9ae36d.jpgIMG_20201002_071133.thumb.jpg.f7720464b7e9bbe9fdaad5f9d85e05a0.jpg

A solid squire landed by Kat

Shortly after that one was landed, Steve decided to rig up with a plastic. He had the rod with a half-pilly out the back, on the bottom. Just as he was about to cast, the rod buckles! After a screaming run in the rod holder, he picked it up and set the hooks. The fight had began! He started pumping and winding, then the fish would run off, then more winding, then more runs. Eventually it calmed down and the fish decided to surface. Once we got it up, we saw a big snapper. Probably 60cm+. Then heartbreak struck. It shook the hook out about 2M from the boat, and from the net which I was holding. "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!"... Heartbreak. There goes the biggun! It sure would've been a good way to start the day 🙂 

We had been getting snipped off by something that had teeth as well. Brian had been snipped off once, Steve twice, and myself once as well. We thought they could very well be big sea toads... That was until Steve landed a stripey, chucked a fillet out, and nearly caught a mackerel on it! Like the other fish, it had gotten off close to the boat. We were thinking the boat had a bad case of the 'Dropsies", where it made us drop all of the good fish boat side. We were still at the first spot, but by this time we were changing to fish for mackerel seeing as though the snapper had seemingly gone off the bite. Brian and Kat had them floated out, and Steve had one under a float (a pilly, that is). 

Kat was on next, and it was most likely a mackerel, as it had the tell tale screaming runs as a sign. Her finger actually got cut it took off that fast! Youch! It was running all around the boat, back and forth, but eventually it busted her off on something. 😞 After a hit on our line (mine actually - it was just one big hit and it took everything) Brian hooked up. It didn't seem to big from where I was at first, but then it took a BIG, FAST run. After hearing it go, Steve and I were eagerly spectating. It started going around the boat, and we were hoping it would be landed. After some more big runs, Kat finally slipping the net under it. "It's massive!", Is what we heard next!.. And it sure was at 73cm! 

IMG_20201002_084924.thumb.jpg.3bd0a5e5e714a55b506a2ac65e925437.jpgIMG_20201002_085046.thumb.jpg.c7d23842516a14fb26633acf1429a783.jpg

A nice big, early season mackerel!

IMG_20201002_085053.thumb.jpg.011c3da18fb3097cc37be944fe9308f0.jpg

Jaw shot (P.S. Brian, didn't I recall you saying Ellicatch was going to be a smoke free boat?) 😉 

After that big mackerel (and a round of applause/cheering), Steve and I kept fishing in the general area. I had a good run on the mackerel line, and Steve had another hit as well, but the bite had seemingly gone pretty quiet in that spot. I tried with a weighted bait (like what we were getting pickered on) but we decided to move spots to a different area. Steve motored along and eventually we were at the next spot. We had hopes for a good cod or good tuskfish, and in fact the second I dropped I got a good hit. Soon enough though, Steve got a rat squire, and luckily i got off the donut! It was past nine now, so I was pretty glad. Even though it was a tony one, I decided to get a quick piccy anyways. 

IMG_1502.jpg.ce974abc7d86dcb1435806fab9feda0c.jpg

IMG_1523.JPG.51a5897bf4381864f52d2a4bb564ddda.JPG

Another couple rat squire... Very pretty fish with the blue dots though 🙂 

After a few more picker attacks and a couple missed hits, we decided that wasting baits on the tiny squire was not working at all, so it might be better to move into the Port area. Steve was kind enough to let me drive for a bit, so I took the wheel (well, the throttle), and went very slowly over the chop, trying to keep a straight line. I'm not sure if I did a very good job though, because I didn't go to fast or far...

IMG_1518.JPG.5c98dce7e2cf6b9db9e6d3e817d0353a.JPG

Me with a popper driving the tinny 🙂 

After I gave the control back to Steve, we motored off to the POB. We started off about 50 metres away from a big cargo ship, and decided to go for a drift. We were in about 16-17M of water, and we were hoping for a possible salmon. I had two size four ball sinkers on to get me to the bottom, and Steve had about a size four sinker. For the first half hour or so (I'd say) we were drifting with the wind against the tide. I had a prawn out on the bottom. Brian and Kat were soon to arrive as well, and they anchored up first up. Due to our very slow drift, I was not covering that much ground. After doing a little more drifting, I felt a hit, and then I was on. It felt like a pretty good fish, and while it wasn't taking any big runs, it had lots of weight. At one point mid fight, it took a tincy bit of line. I was pulling him up now, but just as he was about to surface he went straight back down. I got him up and then we saw it. A massive flatty! You beauty! Shortly after this Steve landed it for me. Here is a pic of the fish - 

IMG_1511.JPG.23a9473f9300e2578a93c4b063570b73.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG.0e1397306e4fc1798cf5f891d887b8c0.JPG

My new PB flathead at 62cm. Thanks for getting me onto it Steve (I think I annoyed you today because I thanked you so much after it 😉)

After we chucked that one into the esky, we kept fishing. We finished up fishing here shortly after - Steve's soft vibe was getting no love at all and my prawn bait seemed to be untouched the whole time for the next drift. We crossed sides and went over towards Clara's Rocks, and we were starting off a drift near there and around the Boat Passage. I still kept my heavier rod out as we were now fishing for snapper. We did one drift past the passage and apart from a bunch of small picker attacks on both mine and Steve's line until about 12:30PM. Brian and Kat were on the other side of the river, over near the sunken wall (I think).  They weren't getting any unfortunately, so they went back out to anchor up while Steve and I fished the wall. Apart from getting a couple picks, I was not successful. Steve got a small 23cm breambo though, which did fight decently. 

We were hoping for a cod or at least another keeper here, but we couldn't gather anything. Soon it was time to get back to the ramp, so we motored back. I held the boat while Steve went to get the car and then the boat was ready to get towed away, the gear was out, and we were nearly off. I made sure we got a nice group photo first though, so we could post it up 😉 🙂 

IMG_1507.jpg.bf5ad9389642b3fb83336308e0bf101b.jpg

🙂 

After that, we said our goodbyes and I set home with Steve (I was getting picked up from his house). My flathead came home to mine in the esky, and some of it is now sitting in my tummy (the other part in the freezer). It sure tasted good. Big thanks to Brian and Kat for coming along with us. It was good to meet up again 🙂 And big thanks to Steve as well for the great day out on the water.... Like I said as we were leaving though, it was a darn shame about that snapper! 

I hope you all enjoyed the report, and sorry it took a bit longer than usual to write 😕 And my bad if I've forgotten anything from today everyone! Stay safe everyone! (P.S. Here's the stats). 

Statistics of trip -

Tide: Low, 3:50AM, .4M, 9:45AM, 2.1M, High, 4:00PM, .5M, Low (That is Brisbane Bar times)

Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous and lots of run! 

Fish caught: Heaps of rat squire for everyone, I think Brian got two mackerel (one just under and the 73cm), I got the flathead, Steve lost the big snapper because it got the hook out of it's mouth in some fishy miracle, and I think that is it 🙂 

Bait caught: Stripey x 1, surprisingly no grinners (sorry I've probably jinxed it for next time everyone)

Bait used: Squid, prawns, the humble pilly, stripey fillets

Tackle used: 16lb leaders, size 4/o circle, suicide hooks for me (a 5/o's for me and Steve as well), size 2-4 ball sinkers, swivels.. I don't know any of the other gear others were using but I had a Diawa Shinobi 2500 and A Penn 650 - 12lb and 30lb braid - Rogue Firepoint boat rod and Venomat rod. 

Air Pressure: 1025

Humidity: 56%

Temperature: 250C

Water Temp: (According to the sounder at the first spot) It was 20.430C

Overall Success Rate: 75% - Would've been higher if we got the snap!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

IMG_20201002_060921.thumb.jpg.121157ff2f24e1f9ad2ff550bf724c18.jpg

Woohoo! 

IMG_20201002_113626.thumb.jpg.f57d9f3d25431939d5596fe23ec09b0f.jpg

Someone got unlucky with this catfish 

How good is that report !!! Won't be long you will have the Hamish page in a fishing mag . Sounds like you and your crew had a ball , well done people.

Edited by Guest
Auto correct grrrr

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Awesome report Hamish and a top day out there team, great to see forum members getting out for a fish together, and even better catching some good fish. Unlucky on the snapper Steve - next time!

Hello KM

Thanks, and it is good to meet up with AFO-ers and go out fishing - it's a good experience 🙂 

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

Thanks Hamish, I waited up for the report. haha

It was a great day and I was just happy that my boat saw its first legal squire. Phew. The big mack was the cherry on top. Everyone (almost) got a decent fish which was good to see. We could easily see the snap that Steve dropped at the boat. It was a goodun.

Good to catch up with some fellow AFOers again. Kat was a good decky too.

Look forward to the next one.

PS. I'll fess up - it was me that got the catty. 😳

Hey Brian

Wow.. Looks like there is demand for my reports 🤣. The first squire blood on board would've been nice, and the mack was great! 

It was a great day out overall that's for sure 🙂 

10 hours ago, GregOug said:

Great report! Great day by the sounds of it guys. Well done! Pity about the snap Steve. Next time!

Thanks Greg, it was a good day out. Such a shame about the snap though. 

10 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Looked like a awesome day on the water with some ups and downs but some fish landed nevertheless  . Still can’t believe we both beat our PB flathead by 2cm on the same day 

Hi Breaming with bro

Yeah, there were sure some ups and downs. Funny how we both broke our PB flatties on the same day by the same length. Lol. What a coincidence. 

4 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

How good is that report !!! Won't be long you will have the Hamish page in a fishing mag . Sounds like you and your crew had a ball , well done people.

Hey Sneaky1

A page in a magazine would be awesome! (My dad has actually recommended that I send some of my reports in to a variety of mags and see if any want to let me write in them 🙂). We all had great fun.

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Well done, Hamish. I can’t believe you were still awake at that late hour to write this report! You have perfected the art of fishing magazine writing - taking a day that produced only a few fish and turning it into a ripping yarn. I can’t believe I lost that snapper. It was a real beauty and I thought it was done and dusted. Maybe it was hooked in the cheek? Anyway, still fun.

Thanks for your company Hamish, Kat and Brian. It was a fun day.

Hi Steve

Yep, I decided to stay up and do it so I could get it out last night. Thanks for that as well, maybe just maybe, one day I'll get to write for a magazine. It very well could've been hooked in the cheek.. or somewhere other than straight down it's gob where the hook can come loose 😞 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great stuff mate. Thanks for the legendary report. I wish we had report of the month up and running. 

It was great to meet you and Kat at the ramp. 

Chuck in some thin single strand wire and if you are getting snipped off put a pilly out under a float. 

Alternatively you can just use mono and gang hooks. 

Sorry for your loss Steve.

Some great fish landed and I am glad you had such a great day. 

Hi Robbie

That would be cool - did ROTM stop when there were no people to do it or no sponsors for prizes? 

We were using gang hooks when specifically targeting the mackerel, but were getting snipped off on the bottom with a single hook fishing for snaps. 

Thanks for the nice comment 🙂 

2 hours ago, Junky said:

Great report Hamish. 

Perhaps @Kat could pass on a few tips to @ellicat about catching legal snaps. 🎣

@Old Scaley The old headshake at the boat. I feel your pain mate.

I lost what I would call my PB, the meter + beside the boat. He did a big headshake and I knew it was all over because I was fumbling with the net on the floor of the boat. 

I even yelled out to him as he glided back to the deep that "All I want is a picture and I will let you go, I promise" 😩

It took me a month at least to get over that. 

Hi Junky

Haha, hopefully @ellicat can get a big snap on his boat soon 🙂... And that is a devastating story, especially since you were so close!

Cheers Hamish

56 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Forgot to mention as we were leaving Mud to head for the river I got spooled on my mackerel setup.

I forgot to wind it in before we left. Doh !🥴 Also managed to drag the berley pot all the way in too.

Well that's a pity - did it the line break off your spool (and you lost it all) or did you just have to reel in A LOT of line? 

Cheers Hamish 

P.S. At least you would have a nice berley trail at the end 

5 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Yeah, I'm hoping no one comes a gutsa because of it. It's the second time I've done it. I got the rig back last time though.

I was there to witness that one. No damage done. Not like the guy I saw leaving the ramp one day as I was putting in. He had his rods still in the rod holders over the transom and a lure got caught in the trees as he took off. The drag was screaming and people were calling out but he didn’t hear them. Not sure how far he got before the line snapped or the rod and reel bounced out of the boat because I was heading out, but I did feel sorry for him.

Mmmmm that looks yummy Kat - I did the exact same thing with my flatty (except I've got about half of it left so I plan to try something different for a change 🙂)

On 03/10/2020 at 8:00 PM, Leosonfire said:

Brilliant report hamdog! Nice flat as well u little legend! Glad old scaley left that snapper for me to catch soon 👍

Thanks Leon, glad you enjoyed it... And someone is bound to catch Old Scaley's snap sooner or later! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

8 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Mate that was a great report! Successful day and good times had by all it seems. Nice fish @Kat ! And @ellicat hahaha I actually thought the first pic of you holding the mackerel you had 2 ciggies... one in the mouth and the other between your fingers (But alas, mackerel fin) 

Thanks Sam, it was very fun. 

Now that I look at that pic it does look a bit like that. Lol.

Cheers Hamish