Seriously... C'mon Mr Snapper!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'm a crumbs man myself, but good to see you getting into it, Hamish.

Hi Brian

Thanks for that, this is my first time making and cooking with a batter so it was nice to try something different 🙂 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice mate looks delicious. 

BBQ flatty. Hard to beat. 

Hey Robbie

Thanks for that, it was sure tasty!

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Can’t say I have ever tried battered fish on a BBQ, but looks like it works. A real camping treat is bite sized pieces of fresh flathead in a really light beer batter flash fried in hot oil and eaten as soon as it cools enough. Hard to beat with an icy cold beer and good mates.

Hi Steve

Yep, it works pretty well. A nice beer batter sounds great. 

Do you substitute the milk to beer?

Cheers Hamish

6 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Steve

Yep, it works pretty well. A nice beer batter sounds great. 

Do you substitute the milk to beer?

Cheers Hamish

Yes, Hamish. You can use Soda water instead if beer is too precious. No eggs, though. Just flour, beer, a pinch of salt and baking soda  if you have it handy. Takes a bit of practice to get the right consistency to keep it light, but once the brew is right the rest is easy. Now all you need is another flatty.

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Have you tried eating fresh water Eels @Drop Bear? When I was in my twenties I went eel fishing with a couple of Dutch mates who were hankering for a home style treat. We cooked them every which way (including smoked) and they just tasted like dog vomit. Even soaked them in milk overnight on a couple of occasions. No doubt your culinary skills are far better than mine but just wondering how you would cook them?

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Can’t say I have ever tried battered fish on a BBQ, but looks like it works. A real camping treat is bite sized pieces of fresh flathead in a really light beer batter flash fried in hot oil and eaten as soon as it cools enough. Hard to beat with an icy cold beer and good mates.

Yummy.  Now I really want to break my diet and catch another flathead!  Sounds divine

On 12/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, Old Scaley said:

Yes, Hamish. You can use Soda water instead if beer is too precious. No eggs, though. Just flour, beer, a pinch of salt and baking soda  if you have it handy. Takes a bit of practice to get the right consistency to keep it light, but once the brew is right the rest is easy. Now all you need is another flatty.

Hi Steve

Thanks for those tips... Like you said, now I just need to catch another flatty!

18 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah don’t mind keeping the odd flatty they taste good have more meat then most estuary fish for their size and are fasting growing fish .flathead fillets are probably one of favourite’s

Hi BWB

Yep, this one had a lot of fish on it. They are up there with my most liked fish as well (probably only a little bit below cod, and about the same as fresh trevally 🙂).

20 hours ago, Kat said:

Yummy.  Now I really want to break my diet and catch another flathead!  Sounds divine

Hi Kat

Same! I will have to try for some more flatties soon.

Cheers Hamish