Alvey Have Brought Out A New Baitcaster

Was cruising around a tackle shop this morning and spotted an alvey baitcaster so I ask the owner to hand it over . Felt like a great little reel 8 bearings, 8kg drag , 7:1 gear ratio, reasonable line capacity and cheap to buy $269. I'm thinking I should go buy it and grab a new live fibre blade and tails to sit it on. It will be the first all Australian combo i've ever owned. Has anyone in here bought 1 and tried it out ? If so , are they a ballsey reel ?

2 minutes ago, Junky said:

Heard they're doing spin reels too. 

I hope it works out for them.

I may even buy an alvey if they hold up. I don't like the side casters at all. 

Yeah spin reels looked ok to , got a soft spot for baitcaster and overhead reels only have 3 egg beaters. I realise it won't be as good as my revo beast but it had fantastic spool spin and I instantly thought of pelting small slugs at Mac tuna (they make the best burley bombs)  and are great sport on light tackle . The other thing is if I buy alvey it's Australian made the $ stay here

27 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yeah spin reels looked ok to , got a soft spot for baitcaster and overhead reels only have 3 egg beaters. I realise it won't be as good as my revo beast but it had fantastic spool spin and I instantly thought of pelting small slugs at Mac tuna (they make the best burley bombs)  and are great sport on light tackle . The other thing is if I buy alvey it's Australian made the $ stay here

I like my baitcasters too. 

I am a bit of a gumby when using them.

So you got the reel yet? 🤣

Nah havnt got it yet but I keep thinking about it , can see I'm going to end up with it will probably go in on the weekend and grab it. Wifey wants 1 as well now has no idea how to cast them but loves winding fish in on my revo beast and Calcutta 

7 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Sneaky1

I reckon it'll be a good reel - I think the Alvey spinning reels have been around for a little while now, so hopefully they keep expanding there range.

Cheers Hamish

Gday Hamish

Yeah I think your right they should be ok but I'm  going to start looking for a back up plan just in case their not

Alvey and Wilson are two of Australia’s iconic brands, it’s so great they are still going strong.

i hope their latest gear is made in Australia rather than by overseas OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers). Either way it keeps food on the table of Aussie families.

The old style live fibres had a big gold stamp saying ‘Aussie built’ but looking at the new ones they don’t have that. I know the Live fibre Venoms are built here in the Wilson factory but are twice the price. 

it must be hard to compete with big companies using OEMs. Let’s hope Alvey and Wilson stick it to them for years to come!

I don't know what I'd do if wilson shut it's doors I'm not big on change , I would rather tea bag a rabbit trap than live in a live fibre free world. But your definitely right Andrew_P we have 2 great companies here that need our support and our future generations should be able to enjoy the same quality gear that we have been spoilt with.

Good to see Alvey still going. They have been around forever and a good aussie family company. Made in QLD

Seen a show on tv about them a little  while ago.. They were struggling with sales and were on the verge of shutting down.

There biggest issue was that there side casters were so good that they never had to be replaced . People were using there fathers and grand fathers reels.. So no repeat sales.  Dont need a new reel. When people heard they were closing there sales went crazy so they were able to stay in business, They are looking to expand there range past side casters to be more competitive.

6 minutes ago, Kenne said:

Good to see Alvey still going. They have been around forever and a good aussie family company. Made in QLD

Seen a show on tv about them a little  while ago.. They were struggling with sales and were on the verge of shutting down.

There biggest issue was that there side casters were so good that they never had to be replaced . People were using there fathers and grand fathers reels.. So no repeat sales.  Dont need a new reel. When people heard they were closing there sales went crazy so they were able to stay in business, They are looking to expand there range past side casters to be more competitive.

Yeah they had a few different fishing shows do segments saying they were closing their doors  it wasn't looking good, but they come out of it ok which is awesome , as other people have  mentioned alvey is an iconic Aussie company and comes second to no one when it comes to beach fishing

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up in a tackle shop this arv after a cruisey day and picked up a new rod for my alvey baitcaster.  It's old stock but still a brand new rod it's one of the first blade and tails that come out still with the red blank and the black bindings almost the same as the classic. Got it awful cheap too $100 it had some rovex baitcaster reel on it which the bloke took off and kept for resale. They have some great specials in bribie cycles .

3 hours ago, Jimmyjack said:

I think their spinning and baitcaster reels are made overseas to Alvey specifications but I could be wrong.

Yeah it wouldn't suprise me when you can get labour for $10 per hour in Vietnam  , Thailand and Korea is even cheaper. But on the plus side they have smaller fingers so they can get the smaller stuff easier.