Reel Servicing Tips And Tricks Wanted

Drop Bear

Hey gang,

I am wanting to service my own reels for an up coming trip.

I am scared … I did a bit of servicing a few years ago but it didn't relay help much and I didn't know what I was doing. 

I have some nice lube now with the inox reel grease and oil. 

So what I want to know is;

• How do you keep from loosing all the parts
  • How much do you clean them out?
  • How do you know if you need to replace barings and where can you purchase these?
  • Are there kits I should buy?
  • Any other tips and tricks you use that help not stuff an otherwise good reel. 

Fangs

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey gang,

I am wanting to service my own reels for an up coming trip.

I am scared … I did a bit of servicing a few years ago but it didn't relay help much and I didn't know what I was doing. 

I have some nice lube now with the inox reel grease and oil. 

So what I want to know is;

• How do you keep from loosing all the parts
  • How much do you clean them out?
  • How do you know if you need to replace barings and where can you purchase these?
  • Are there kits I should buy?
  • Any other tips and tricks you use that help not stuff an otherwise good reel. 

Fangs

Keep all the little parts on a paper towel in some sort of order so you remember what goes where in what order . I usually just remove all the greased parts and spray RP7 or WD40 to remove the grease make sure those parts are dry after spraying and the grease them I usually just cover all the gear teeth with grease and that should be enough . And as For bearings give them a little spin with you’re finger and if they don’t spin or move much they need to be replaced or also if there’s rust to. I would recommend checking out tackle advisors on YouTube he’s probably the best reel servicing channel on YouTube 

I have always found that the trickiest part is undoing the screws. Some are easy but a lot are in so tight that it is a challenge to get them out without burring the head. One thing I read somewhere was to use white spirit for the cleaning process and to avoid using WD40 or similar because they can trap dirt and grit. Keep grease to a minimum and there are parts you should not put oil. The user manual has info about where you should and shouldn’t put grease or oil. 

Two excellent pieces of advice above from @Junky 1. Use blue loctite if you undo the bail arm bearing 2. Don’t drink and service🤪