Looks Like Penn Have Finally Added A New Low Profile Baitcaster Range Of Reels

Ed.

For those who are interested, I have just noticed that Penn have made a new range of Low Profile baitcaster reels in up to the 200 to 400 size. Haven't found too many stores that have them though, might be because of the Covid-19  problems in manufacturing and or delivering them to Australia. It is a pity that the Fathom range is fairly expensive, almost twice the price of their Fathom range of overhead reels. Don't know if they are any better than the current offerings from Daiwa, Abu, Shimano  and Okuma and are dearer than some of the other brands.

They do them in both the Fathom and also the Squall range which are about 1/2 the price of the Fathoms. The Fathoms have dual braking, an extra bearing and more drag and the Squall has only Magnetic braking,

https://www.pennfishing.com/collections/low-profile-baitcast-reels/products/fathom-low-profile-reel-1524835

https://www.pennfishing.com/collections/low-profile-baitcast-reels/products/squall-low-profile-reel-1524830

9 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Ed.

Looks like something worth investing in.. I will add them to the list if I need a baitcaster.

Cheers Hamish

The Squall's seem to be much more affordable than the Fathoms, I tried to find some reviews of the bait casters but I think it is too early. They also seem to have a supply problem as they don't seem to be available at the usual shops that sell Penn gear.

11 hours ago, Ed. said:

For those who are interested, I have just noticed that Penn have made a new range of Low Profile baitcaster reels in up to the 200 to 400 size. Haven't found too many stores that have them though, might be because of the Covid-19  problems in manufacturing and or delivering them to Australia. It is a pity that the Fathom range is fairly expensive, almost twice the price of their Fathom range of overhead reels. Don't know if they are any better than the current offerings from Daiwa, Abu, Shimano  and Okuma and are dearer than some of the other brands.

They do them in both the Fathom and also the Squall range which are about 1/2 the price of the Fathoms. The Fathoms have dual braking, an extra bearing and more drag and the Squall has only Magnetic braking,

https://www.pennfishing.com/collections/low-profile-baitcast-reels/products/fathom-low-profile-reel-1524835

https://www.pennfishing.com/collections/low-profile-baitcast-reels/products/squall-low-profile-reel-1524830

Penn make some tough gear you might be onto a winner there recently bought wifey a spinfisher which feels ok 

Just an update, I went down to Outback Adventure and had a look at the new 400 size Penn Low profile reel, and whilst is is a nice reel, I am a bit disappointed in the line capacity of it, 175 of 20lb mono, whilst that capacity might suit most people I was hoping for 250yards of 20lb. Reason being that if you do a long cast of say 50-70 yards then you are already down to 2/3 of the spool left. If a large fish hooks up and goes for an average  run  and you are down to 1/3 to fight with. I suppose I could increase the capacity by using braid but I wanted to use mono. Depending on where you want to fish with it then it may not be a problem for most. The other issue is the when you press the thumb bar to cast, the level wind disengages so the line peels off and when you engage the spool again the line guide could be on the opposite side to where the line has laid down previously so it is an issue if you crank up the drag. Had the same issue with the Daiwa though.

My 38year old Daiwa PMF57H holds 270 yards of 20lb mono. Whilst the Penn reel looks and feels OK it still isn't big enough so I will have to wait a few more years,🤔 I do have a Okuma Solterra SLR-10CS which is a conventional lever drag reel with magnetic casting control but that one is a much bigger conventional overhead reel. Finding it hard to get a "Goldilocks reel" with mag cast control in the low profile style with a large line capacity. Maybe I am being just difficult!

So apart from those issues it seems to be a nice reel. Davo's Tackle in Noosaville seems to advertise them for about $400.