Advice On An Estuary Setup

Ducks Nuts

Hi just after some advice on an estuary set up. I would prefer a 1000 size reel and a 2 piece rod maybe 1-4 kg and 6 pound line for flicking plastics and unwaited nippers from the bank.

question, is this to light for a decent flatty?

also what do ya’s all recommend for about $350 And something that has a decent cast 

cheers

Ducks Nuts 

14 minutes ago, Ducks nuts said:

Hi just after some advice on an estuary set up. I would prefer a 1000 size reel and a 2 piece rod maybe 1-4 kg and 6 pound line for flicking plastics and unwaited nippers from the bank.

also what do ya’s all recommend for about $350 And something that has a decent cast 

cheers

Ducks Nuts 

I think @Breaming with bro might answer this query 🙂

17 minutes ago, Ducks nuts said:

cheers

Ducks Nuts 

Atomic arrowz bream surface rod $112-150 it’s a 1.5-3.5kg rod and is perfect for many different fishing styles from bait fishing hardbodies and plastics it does it all . For a 1000 reel a shimano nasci is a good option or a daiwa excellar both are great reels if you could also buy a Stradic fl 1000 and a daiwa aird x rod 2-4kg in that budget but i would go with the atomic arrowz bream surface rod and a nasci  . And no 6lb is not to light for flatties I’ve caught heaps around that 40-50cm range on 6lb braid and 6lb leader and 2 55cm flathead and also my PB 57cm flathead so no 6lb line or leader isn’t to light if you keep getting busted off maybe use 10 or 12lb leader . If start hooking bigger flatties point you rod tip down to the water’s edge and pull it In using you’re hips what I mean by this is reel the fish in by the side and point you’re rod tip low to water so it doesn’t rub against the sharp teeth and no matter what never lift you’re rod straight and over you’re head like you’ve hooked a bream or whiting and you should be good and take the fight slow don’t try and reel it in as fast as you can loose light drag and good technique is crucial for landing big flathead on light gear 

29 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Atomic arrowz bream surface rod $112-150 it’s a 1.5-3.5kg rod and is perfect for many different fishing styles from bait fishing hardbodies and plastics it does it all . For a 1000 reel a shimano nasci is a good option or a daiwa excellar both are great reels if you could also buy a Stradic fl 1000 and a daiwa aird x rod 2-4kg in that budget but i would go with the atomic arrowz bream surface rod and a nasci  . And no 6lb is not to light for flatties I’ve caught heaps around that 40-50cm range on 6lb braid and 6lb leader and 2 55cm flathead and also my PB 57cm flathead so no 6lb line or leader isn’t to light if you keep getting busted off maybe use 10 or 12lb leader . If start hooking bigger flatties point you rod tip down to the water’s edge and pull it In using you’re hips what I mean by this is reel the fish in by the side and point you’re rod tip low to water so it doesn’t rub against the sharp teeth and no matter what never lift you’re rod straight and over you’re head like you’ve hooked a bream or whiting and you should be good and take the fight slow don’t try and reel it in as fast as you can loose light drag and good technique is crucial for landing big flathead on light gear 

Breaming with bro, I’ve noticed you’ve started using some full stops. That is good. Next try not leaving a space before each full stop. Small steps. We’ll get there!

17 hours ago, GregOug said:

Breaming with bro, I’ve noticed you’ve started using some full stops. That is good. Next try not leaving a space before each full stop. Small steps. We’ll get there!

Took your advice mate I brought an arrow  bream 3-8lb and nasci 1000 with 6 lb line and 8lb leader 🤘😎

22 hours ago, Ducks nuts said:

cheers

Ducks Nuts 

Hey Ducks Nuts

I know it's a bit late, but I would personally recommend a Nasci (good drag and very smooth) on a rod that is a bit longer... Simply because you will have more leverage on fish with the lighter line and you will be able to cast further with unweighted baits.

I'm sure the rod you have invested in will be good though, so good luck. Hope to hear about some fish!

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Ducks Nuts

I know it's a bit late, but I would personally recommend a Nasci (good drag and very smooth) on a rod that is a bit longer... Simply because you will have more leverage on fish with the lighter line and you will be able to cast further with unweighted baits.

I'm sure the rod you have invested in will be good though, so good luck. Hope to hear about some fish!

Cheers Hamish

Thanks dude 😎

already got a 32 cm baby flatty and 2 very nice bream in merimbula after lunch. 

wind blew my bloody net in the water but 😩. Good day over all tho! I’m stoked with how the rod and reel went together tho!!

sweet as!