FisherDan80

3 minutes ago, FisherDan80 said:

I moved to the Sunshine Coast two years ago and have been catching a lot of big flathead. So I've been doing some research into the pumicestone passage. I found that metre+ flathead were known captures around October. So yesterday I decided to do some trolling around Caloundra. One 42cm in the first 5mins of trolling lost a big one a little while later. Then it happened I pulled up what I thought to be a clump of weed which turned out to be the biggest flatty I've ever seen, then hell broke lose. 3 maybe 4 times I had it at the boat (I had no net) then the last time my line wrapped around its tail and it was gone. Easily a metre and one very sad but happy fisherman.

Whoa cracking fish mate! 

Great stuff. It is still out there for you to, buy a net, up your line weight and try again! 🙂

Thanks for the report. It is nice to know they are out there. 

Oh and welcome to the forum 🙂

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Whoa cracking fish mate! 

Great stuff. It is still out there for you to, buy a net, up your line weight and try again! 🙂

Thanks for the report. It is nice to know they are out there. 

Oh and welcome to the forum 🙂

I have a big net sitting in my garage perfect for fish of that size. It will be going with me this arvo.

Yes definitely nice to know flathead of that size do still exist. 

1 hour ago, FisherDan80 said:

I moved to the Sunshine Coast two years ago and have been catching a lot of big flathead. So I've been doing some research into the pumicestone passage. I found that metre+ flathead were known captures around October. So yesterday I decided to do some trolling around Caloundra. One 42cm in the first 5mins of trolling lost a big one a little while later. Then it happened I pulled up what I thought to be a clump of weed which turned out to be the biggest flatty I've ever seen, then hell broke lose. 3 maybe 4 times I had it at the boat (I had no net) then the last time my line wrapped around its tail and it was gone. Easily a metre and one very sad but happy fisherman.

Sounds like a monster!

like @Drop Bear said, its still out there. Hunt it down lol :yikes:

I would recommend braided line, i have never had my line snapped

p.s the photo is not advertising, it is a random photo

The 8 Best Braided Fishing Lines of 2020

39 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Go get em! I'd love to see some photos and get more info on the lures you like. 

Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture but will hopefully get some this arvo and will get some pics.

Also Unfortunately that lure I lost is very hard to come by these days. My friend tells me he has 5 and will send me a couple. Colour was grey ghost.

5 hours ago, FisherDan80 said:

Hey FisherDan80

Great job, that is a massive flatty that you unfortunately missed! 

What type of lures were you using (like hardbodies, plastics,etc)

Cheers Hamish

Exciting experience there mate - shame you lost the lure but that happens. I saw a huge one at the top end of Golden Beach just before the corner leading towards the boardwalk about 3 years ago. Was a very brief experience but sure got me excited - suffice to say I peppered that area with PLENTY of casts .... 😁.

@Old Scaley that is very interesting- we didn’t get any flathead off the beach around the corner at Pialba when we were kids. Presumably there would still be some good ones today around Gatakers.