Setup For Landing Giant Flathead

Brodie_S

I have a 2500 shallow spool Nero legalis with 150 yards of 8lb braid spooled on it I was thinking Of matching this with my aird x 2-4kg rod and using it to target big flathead around that 80cm + range I would be using a FG knot to connect the 8lb braid to a 14lb FC leader . I caught a legal sized jack near Structure on the same outfit just with a different reel . 2000 aird lt with 100m of 10lb braid with a FG to 20lb FC and it handled it fine only 2lbs heavier .the jack picture below . So yeah what does everyone think about this setup will it be enough

F499F29D-26ED-4DB7-9579-5D1D812DE4E8.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I have a 2500 shallow spool Nero legalis with 150 yards of 8lb braid spooled on it I was thinking Of matching this with my aird x 2-4kg rod and using it to target big flathead around that 80cm + range I would be using a FG knot to connect the 8lb braid to a 14lb FC leader . I caught a legal sized jack near Structure on the same outfit just with a different reel . 2000 aird lt with 100m of 10lb braid with a FG to 20lb FC and it handled it fine only 2lbs heavier .the jack picture below . So yeah what does everyone think about this setup will it be enough

Hi Breaming with bro

I reckon that would be OK, trusting you are in relatively shallow and snag free waters. I believe the member @Fishaman uses 6lb mainline and consistently catches 80cm+ fish, so hopefully he can give you a hand.

I personally would have two setups - one lighter rod, i.e. ten pound line on a longer rod, for casting further and farther (mainly on sandbanks), and then another one, maybe a low profile reel and an overhead rod, with something like 15-20lb line, and a heavier, shorter rod, for fishing closer to any snaggy ground that may make it hard to pull flatties out. 

So like I said, if you are fishing in snag free areas, you could probably use your tackle fine (20lb leader I think too)... But it's always good to have heavier back up 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Just now, samsteele115 said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO nails it. You don't need heavy gear to land big flathead, just patience. 8lb braid is plenty but it definitely adds some security to use heavier leader if teeth and gill rakers come in contact. I'd go 20lb, but more often than not the 14lb would be fine too. 

TBH I was going to use my 3-8lb arrows rod with my 1000 Stradic and 6lb braid with 12lb leader but I thought it was to light so that’s I why decided to go a little heavier plenty of locals around my area catch big flathead 90-100cm every year with light gear and heavy leaders 12-20lb leaders 

Just now, samsteele115 said:

I'm sure you've seen the vids out there of blokes using 9 inch plastics and big swim baits. Less bites between fish but certainly gives you a better chance of enticing a big girl 

I sure have but I won’t be using 9 inch lures I will be using lures around 3-4 inches for soft plastic and 80-90m for hardbodies

6 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO nails it. You don't need heavy gear to land big flathead, just patience. 8lb braid is plenty but it definitely adds some security to use heavier leader if teeth and gill rakers come in contact. I'd go 20lb, but more often than not the 14lb would be fine too. 

I use 14lb as a good all rounder on my 8 foot 2500 rod, Sam. It goes quite well, especially on that combo. 

I wouldn't want too much less for the type of fishing I do when targeting flatties (seeing as though I'm in the river where I could get cod, and other assorted big things, Lol). I've tried 8 pound line once I found it good fun on all fish, just a bit light for my liking. 

4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

TBH I was going to use my 3-8lb arrows rod with my 1000 Stradic and 6lb braid with 12lb leader but I thought it was to light so that’s I why decided to go a little heavier plenty of locals around my area catch big flathead 90-100cm every year with light gear and heavy leaders 12-20lb leaders 

3 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I sure have but I won’t be using 9 inch lures I will be using lures around 3-4 inches for soft plastic and 80-90m for hardbodies

BWB, I would be using the 20lb leader when targeting the bigguns. It won't reduce your bite rate by too much (I doubt it won't anyways) and as long as it is looking appealing I think it'll get munched up! By the way, you might have some troubles casting a 90m lure. Lol.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I use 14lb as a good all rounder on my 8 foot 2500 rod, Sam. It goes quite well, especially on that combo. 

I wouldn't want too much less for the type of fishing I do when targeting flatties (seeing as though I'm in the river where I could get cod, and other assorted big things, Lol). I've tried 8 pound line once I found it good fun on all fish, just a bit light for my liking. 

BWB, I would be using the 20lb leader when targeting the bigguns. It won't reduce your bite rate by too much (I doubt it won't anyways) and as long as it is looking appealing I think it'll get munched up! By the way, you might have some troubles casting a 90m lure. Lol.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I meant to put 90-110m hardbodies lures lmao 😂 .this flathead was caught in my local area recently on 12lb leader and a lot others around this size have been caught on 12lb leader I just think 20lb leader is to heavy and I do believe flathead aren’t leader shy but I think some will be able to tell the difference between 20lb and 14lb leader and shy away from the lure on bright sunny days in mostly clear water . And yeah I’d probably use heavier leader but there really isn’t much structure for fish to destroy my line and no cod to run to nearest bit of structure and also no jacks the only by catch I can think of is GT Jewies  and the odd tailor or hairtail

99C21BED-5389-41C6-AA57-8E472683F586.jpeg