What A Shambles

Thought I'd take a mate out for a fish tonight was not organised just a snap decision. First 10 mins i got a shovel nose then Luke hooked up and fought this thing for just under 20 mins turned out to be a big ray . An hour had passed and no more bites so we tried a spot that was sposed to hold good squire and only managed a dirty old sea toad . After having a bit of a laugh at ourselves we decided to pull the pin go home and plan and prepare for a morning trip.

14 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

This is fishing in a nutshell haha love it. Gotta laugh at yourself sometimes 

Yeah we're all human , can't be serious all the time (that's why God invented rum and red bull )

23 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Thought I'd take a mate out for a fish tonight was not organised just a snap decision. First 10 mins i got a shovel nose then Luke hooked up and fought this thing for just under 20 mins turned out to be a big ray . An hour had passed and no more bites so we tried a spot that was sposed to hold good squire and only managed a dirty old sea toad . After having a bit of a laugh at ourselves we decided to pull the pin go home and plan and prepare for a morning trip.

Well today's effort was as bad as last night's  effort except we got the target fish but they were all the wrong size they were all in the 40's

20201010_173414.jpg

30 minutes ago, ellicat said:

4 in their forties would be a good trip for me at the

I think you guys get alot of boat traffic down your way too , if work wasn't so busy I'd wag and have week day fish. A mate has been doing ok in the port , have you given that a crack ellicat ?

7 minutes ago, ellicat said:

No, not so far. Been trying to figure out some spots at Mud. We were going to give the rock wall a go on the way back the other day but just kept going. Probably drove straight past the fish...

I'm thinking of wagging on Friday and hitting Moreton.  Not game to hit it on weekends no such thing as social distancing in boats over there

On 09/10/2020 at 9:27 PM, Sneaky1 said:

Hey Sneaky1

That's a shame you only got vermin, but I'm sure there was a good fight in them before you landed them. I had a donut on the yak today, so like you said above we won't always get fish! My best 'snapper' is a small pinky, so I would be bloody happy with fish in the forties! (for the second sesh)

By the way, you sound like the eshays at my school who 'wag' school to go to the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre... I hope they don't see this, Lol. 

Good job.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

That's a bummer Hamish , a mate of mine has been getting a few decent squire from the port of brisbane he's been nagging me to come have a crack at them with him. After today's effort I'm seriously thinking about it. Only got a wobbegong and a painted sweetlip today gave the painted sweetlip to my mother inlaw (After Chopper played with it for 10 minutes) I would have chased fatties today but the passage had to many boats already. There's some awesome yak fishing spots up this way maybe you and your dad could give them a crack.

1 hour ago, Sneaky1 said:

That's a bummer Hamish , a mate of mine has been getting a few decent squire from the port of brisbane he's been nagging me to come have a crack at them with him. After today's effort I'm seriously thinking about it. Only got a wobbegong and a painted sweetlip today gave the painted sweetlip to my mother inlaw (After Chopper played with it for 10 minutes) I would have chased fatties today but the passage had to many boats already. There's some awesome yak fishing spots up this way maybe you and your dad could give them a crack.

Had a meeting near the port during the week and was considering have a crack as I’ve been given a couple spots along their however wind was up and it was a long paddle in the yak for an arvo session but will definitely give it a crack as it’s my closest fishy spot to home aka 30mins

3 minutes ago, Leosonfire said:

Had a meeting near the port during the week and was considering have a crack as I’ve been given a couple spots along their however wind was up and it was a long paddle in the yak for an arvo session but will definitely give it a crack as it’s my closest fishy spot to home aka 30mins

Next time I see Luke will try and get where he's been going

Just now, Leosonfire said:

In a yak mate but up for a challenge 😝 did u mean snaps around bribie bridge? I thought that was pretty busy with boat traffic?

Night times not to bad , wouldn't sit under there in a yak at night we have seen some big shadows pass under the boat of a  night , even had my keeper net ripped off the boat a couple of years ago . 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Glad you got out. Its great to be on the water. Thanks for the report. 

Hey Drop Bear had been meaning to pick your brain , I remember you said something about diving the passage. 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep done it a few times. How can I help? 

Have you ever dived out the 112's at Donnybro ok ? And if you have did you nnotice abnormal amount of squid there. And question 2 is how do I get down the bottom of 7 meters depth I've tried but I get to about 3 meters and start floating back to the surface .I put some weight on over the last couple months maybe the extra fat isn't letting me sink

3 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Have you ever dived out the 112's at Donnybro ok ? And if you have did you nnotice abnormal amount of squid there. And question 2 is how do I get down the bottom of 7 meters depth I've tried but I get to about 3 meters and start floating back to the surface .I put some weight on over the last couple months maybe the extra fat isn't letting me sink

No I have not dived at Donnybrook. I have dived at the shellfish reef just outside Aquatic Paradise about 5 times and on the ledge near there. I have never seen a squid while diving there.

Are you scuba or free diving?

You will need a weight belt if you want to go deeper, the weight depends on what you are wearing and how buoyant you are naturally. This has risks so make sure you are comfortable at the quick release in case something goes wrong. 

If you are freediving its great to learn how to duck dive. Basically you lie flat on the surface with a snorkel then bend at the waste so your head is pointing down then lift up your legs so they are out of the water. It sort of shoots you down. I'm sure there will be loads of youtube vids to show you how to do this better than me typing. 

You will need to decompress your ears by holding your nose and trying to breath out through your nose. This changes the pressure in your ears. 

I hope I have not told you how to suck eggs but thought I would put more info than less in the post. 

3 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Oh and visibility is normally terrible. I'd be surprised if you saw a squid due to this. 

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Oh and visibility is normally terrible. I'd be surprised if you saw a squid due to this. 

Ok cool I might scrap that idea ,  I might have to try another way to get the job done . Thanks for the info Drop Bear