Many Casts Nice Reward

samsteele115

1 hour ago, Do$tylz said:

beast Geets off the rock Sam. Have you hooked up to the +1m ones out there yet? 

Just now off deadies, same spot as the last few. Was probs about 90cm though and reefed me. There's a compromise with gear isn't there; the lighter the more eats but get dusted by those rarer large models. I use 80lb at the gorge though but it's been pretty quiet lately. Might have another go this arvo 

yeah when I used to go with Angus, I never committed to throwing the big stuff off deadies/frenchies. Would get distracted on the light stuff, but should have committed to going with the big GT Popping gear. 

Got absolutely railed off the gorge on 2500 gear. Stripped the line in 1 run and visibly smoked coming off the spool. Suspect it was a GT because we spotted a school cruising in tight but never got to actually see what was hooked on the other side. I want my revenge....

17 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

yeah when I used to go with Angus, I never committed to throwing the big stuff off deadies/frenchies. Would get distracted on the light stuff, but should have committed to going with the big GT Popping gear. 

Got absolutely railed off the gorge on 2500 gear. Stripped the line in 1 run and visibly smoked coming off the spool. Suspect it was a GT because we spotted a school cruising in tight but never got to actually see what was hooked on the other side. I want my revenge....

Yeah caught up with him the other day! He did pretty well on the light stuff. I was using my usual 50lb gear for around there and didn't get a touch, however I'm pretty content at missing the smaller models for these nice medium sized fish when they are around 🙂

sounds like you're due a trip to Minjerribah 

37 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Sam

That is another good trev. Nice work. What is the maximum size you find before they start tasting bad?

Cheers Hamish

The biggest I've eaten was 80, a little bit watery and mushy. I've had 3x 70cms now that have been great, but the 50cm ones are primo. Probs would vary between fish though, some get parasites when larger apparently and there is a small risk of ciguatera also. Will probably release the larger ones over 70 in the future

9 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Sam

That is another good trev. Nice work. What is the maximum size you find before they start tasting bad?

Cheers Hamish

I have eaten loads of large ones in FIJI. They cook the bejesus out of them and they are dry and a bit yuck. You need loads of coconut milk, lemon juice and onion to moisten them. 

21 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

The biggest I've eaten was 80, a little bit watery and mushy. I've had 3x 70cms now that have been great, but the 50cm ones are primo. Probs would vary between fish though, some get parasites when larger apparently and there is a small risk of ciguatera also. Will probably release the larger ones over 70 in the future

Alright, I have heard that about the bigger ones (or that they go terribly dry). I googled what size an average GT goes into maturity (because I thought maybe only juveniles would taste good and when they matured something in the fish may change making them like this) but it said they go into maturity at about 50cm-60cm. 

A parasite would be my best guess at why they taste bad when bigger... And the last thing you want is ciguatera. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

11 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Alright, I have heard that about the bigger ones (or that they go terribly dry). I googled what size an average GT goes into maturity (because I thought maybe only juveniles would taste good and when they matured something in the fish may change making them like this) but it said they go into maturity at about 50cm-60cm. 

A parasite would be my best guess at why they taste bad when bigger... And the last thing you want is ciguatera. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hiya.  I was reading a while ago about a parasite that turned fish mushy not long after they die.  Sounds dreadful.