Brisbane River Session #55, #56, #57, And Fifty Bloody Eight!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

7 hours ago, ellicat said:

You gave it a fair crack. Hopefully the next few months will see some bullies about for you.

Thanks Brian, hopefully the next time I give it a go I can manage a catch 🙂 

Summer should bring me some good bullies... Right baits, right rig, good spot - I might even try to get one on 10lb mainline!

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks Brian, hopefully the next time I give it a go I can manage a catch 🙂 

Summer should bring me some good bullies... Right baits, right rig, good spot - I might even try to get one on 10lb mainline!

Cheers Hamish

Seems like you’ve had a few crappy session’s hate it when that happens . Still getting good use of the free river rod I see idk about 10lb for Bull sharks maybe the one’s around Brisbane are small but where I’m from they are around 1-3 metres in the river I would use atleast a 6-9kg rod with 6000-7000 reel loaded with 200m of 50lb braid and 80lb mono leader with a long wire trace ATLEAST if I ever try to catch a shark in the river i would use 275m of 65lb on a penn 650 spin fisher with my daiwa 6-9kg and a 2 metre trace of very thick mono connected via a FG with a very strong wire trace and mustad hooks . Learned my lesson from the Whitsundays hooks bent .sharks biting through the wire spooling my reel etc I had the worst 7000 size reel in the world with the worst line lay I had around 50m of 20lb mono and another 50m of 50lb on top which clearly isn’t enough line using crappy cheap hooks and cheap Kmart wire traces did not go well one time I used a whole GT that had been filleted because I heard sharks like GT I did enjoy eating that fish and so did the shark and I got smoked and had to thumb the spool so my line didn’t come off my reel and on top of that it managed to snap the wire trace in half and I had many other times similar things happened 

On 12/10/2020 at 11:07 PM, Breaming with bro said:

Seems like you’ve had a few crappy session’s hate it when that happens . Still getting good use of the free river rod I see idk about 10lb for Bull sharks maybe the one’s around Brisbane are small but where I’m from they are around 1-3 metres in the river I would use atleast a 6-9kg rod with 6000-7000 reel loaded with 200m of 50lb braid and 80lb mono leader with a long wire trace ATLEAST if I ever try to catch a shark in the river i would use 275m of 65lb on a penn 650 spin fisher with my daiwa 6-9kg and a 2 metre trace of very thick mono connected via a FG with a very strong wire trace and mustad hooks . Learned my lesson from the Whitsundays hooks bent .sharks biting through the wire spooling my reel etc I had the worst 7000 size reel in the world with the worst line lay I had around 50m of 20lb mono and another 50m of 50lb on top which clearly isn’t enough line using crappy cheap hooks and cheap Kmart wire traces did not go well one time I used a whole GT that had been filleted because I heard sharks like GT I did enjoy eating that fish and so did the shark and I got smoked and had to thumb the spool so my line didn’t come off my reel and on top of that it managed to snap the wire trace in half and I had many other times similar things happened 

I'm a bit late getting back to everyone on this.

Looks like you are keen to get a shark, BwB. Hopefully some of my next sessions will be a bit more fruitful!

On 12/10/2020 at 11:30 PM, GregOug said:

Thanks for the reports Hamish. I waded through it all. I note you’re adding the fish caught section now which is good. Just need to be able to put something next to it now!

Hi Greg

That would be lovely... Maybe a nice threadfin salmon?

On 13/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Drop Bear said:

I admire your tenacity mate. Good on ya. 

Thank you Robbie, now to catch some.

Cheers Hamish