Mangrove Jack

ellicat

3 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Sorry to break it to you but that’s not a mangrove jack that’s a American speices called mangrove snapper they look similar but they are different 

So? They are similar yes, especially in the way they feed so it still applies here. 

Such amazing footage! Cheers Brian 

They are completely different it’s like trying to compare a flounder to a flathead sure they might look similar and have the same feeding style but are very different in terms of catching them and biology . I would think the same I totally get why you would think they are similar enough  but it’s just different I’ve even heard people comparing black and yellowfin bream and how different they are in terms of catching them and they are from the same family can you imagine trying to compare a completely different speices and saying that they are close enough when you stop and think about it for awhile it doesn’t add up that’s my take from it anyway 

Breaming with bro, have you ever caught a ‘Mangrove Snapper’? Because if you have, and if you’ve also caught manga jacks (which I know you have), then you can say stuff like that. Otherwise, they look pretty darn similiar to me. High level of aggression on the strike, same baits, etc. Just because they’re a different sub-species, doesn’t mean the same catching techniques don’t apply.

Thank you for the footage Brian - it looks pretty great!

Cheers Hamish 😀

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Breaming with bro, have you ever caught a ‘Mangrove Snapper’? Because if you have, and if you’ve also caught manga jacks (which I know you have), then you can say stuff like that. Otherwise, they look pretty darn similiar to me. High level of aggression on the strike, same baits, etc. Just because they’re a different sub-species, doesn’t mean the same catching techniques don’t apply.

Thank you for the footage Brian - it looks pretty great!

Cheers Hamish 😀

No Hamish I haven’t but I know people who have and they have all said they are completely different I wouldn’t have said this if they weren’t completely differently and if I didn’t know what I was talking about. they look different there family is different pretty much everything about them is different besides similar body shape and colour and aggressiveness 

Look at my post again I re-edited it and including info showing they are different and also having proof. what you looked up was just another name for mangrove jack mangrove jack are from the snapper family and are often confused with other names this family includes fish like stripeys and a few other well known reef and estuary dwelling speices the mangrove jack can’t even be found in America waters cause mangrove jack are native to oceania 

Just now, ellicat said:

Ok, thanks for that. I searched "scientific name for mangrove jack" ans then "scientific name for mangrove snapper" and got the same result.

Wikipedia sometimes can do errors like that you really have to dig deep and compare different speices by the family and speices not by the name that’s why this things confusing everyone. 

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Look below that... It literally says that they are the same thing but it's just called a different species in Australia.

I don't think it's worth arguing over, (but we should probably see what is 100% correct). 

image.thumb.png.f95bf235db64f1bd9fccb45f3c97cdf3.png

I think they are the same thing personally (so I agree with what @ellicat has said)

Cheers Hamish

Hamish look up mangrove jack and grey snapper they are different Wikipedia just decided to call mangrove snapper grey snapper and mangrove jack mangrove red snapper 

1 minute ago, Breaming with bro said:

Hamish look up mangrove jack and grey snapper they are different Wikipedia just decided to call mangrove snapper grey snapper and mangrove jack mangrove red snapper 

The fish in my post above are Mangrove Jack not Grey Snapper, BWB. 

Wikipedia says the scientific name for a Jack is Lutjanus argentimaculatas, the scientific name for a Grey Snapper is a Lutjanus griseus, and the Scientific name for a Mangrove Snapper is the same as a jack. 

The Australian Museum says this is the scientific name for a Jack - 

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/fishes/mangrove-jack-lutjanus-argentimaculatus/

(The same as Wikipedia)

The Florida Museum says the same thing as Wikipedia about the Grey Snapper - 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/lutjanus-griseus/

And another museum site says that the Mangrove Red Snapper is the same thing as a jack - 

https://www.fishbase.de/summary/1407

These aren't some source just written by a random person, they are trustworthy sources as they are the official sources of museums. I think the jack and the red snapper are exactly the same thing. If you can show me otherwise with trustworthy sources then I'll reckon that too 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

30 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

The fish in my post above are Mangrove Jack not Grey Snapper, BWB. 

Wikipedia says the scientific name for a Jack is Lutjanus argentimaculatas, the scientific name for a Grey Snapper is a Lutjanus griseus, and the Scientific name for a Mangrove Snapper is the same as a jack. 

The Australian Museum says this is the scientific name for a Jack - 

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/fishes/mangrove-jack-lutjanus-argentimaculatus/

(The same as Wikipedia)

The Florida Museum says the same thing as Wikipedia about the Grey Snapper - 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/lutjanus-griseus/

And another museum site says that the Mangrove Red Snapper is the same thing as a jack - 

https://www.fishbase.de/summary/1407

These aren't some source just written by a random person, they are trustworthy sources as they are the official sources of museums. I think the jack and the red snapper are exactly the same thing. If you can show me otherwise with trustworthy sources then I'll reckon that too 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

Sure I’ve caught plenty of more evidence showing otherwise but I’m busy atm and I’ll get around to organising something sometime tomorrow . I know people who have caught them and they are a lot different the only thing I have to do now is prove now somehow with more then just family .genus. and native areas where this fish are found . This is proofing to be quite a challenge lmao 😂 lets see what I can find 😁

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

My understanding is;

Mangrove Jack are Lutjanus argentimaculatus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove_red_snapper

Grey Snapper are Lutjanus griseus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove_snapper

There are loads of Lutjanus including 3 of my favourite fish I have ever caught.

Lutjanus goldiei - or Black Bass

Black.thumb.jpg.9672ba0bea3897ddbef8482c62afdea3.jpg

and lutjanus fuscescens - Spot tailed bass

708249778_Spottailedbass.thumb.jpg.175bce357d584e7014d603bbbaf53370.jpg

Lutjanus argentimaculatus - Mangrove Jack

Jack.thumb.jpg.ab5f8ec40987db88e2005c7c714e0869.jpg

Thanks for giving me an excuse to show off some fish. haha.

By the way I still like the video 🙂

Drop bear said it best out of all of us lmao 😂 so yeah mangrove jack and mangrove snapper are different but similar in terms of class and family not speices explains why they look and act similar 

Such lively debate boys.  I love that everyone is so passionate about fish and fishing.   Hamish, science BTW, is not infallible.  Science is of course a human construct and none of us are perfect. But you are right about choosing your sources wisely!!  Keep it up and keep questioning your sources.  It is so important in everyday life and in learning.

Cheers Kat