Sandflies When Camping On Boat

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey,

Haven't camped on a boat before and was thinking of giving it  a go at Moreton island, then if that goes well do a few trips up to fraser and eventually up to the keppels. The wife has a real bugbear (literally) about sandflies. Are sandflies generally a problem when you're camping on a boat in a bay, or are you only harassed if you're on land?

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey,

Haven't camped on a boat before and was thinking of giving it  a go at Moreton island, then if that goes well do a few trips up to fraser and eventually up to the keppels. The wife has a real bugbear (literally) about sandflies. Are sandflies generally a problem when you're camping on a boat in a bay, or are you only harassed if you're on land?

Cheers!

The few times I have done it it was fine. If you had very light winds they might be a problem if you were in close. 

Hate to put a downer on the plan regarding mozzie nets but depending on the sand fly species, most of them will go through a mosquito net with breaking a sweat, the further north you go, the smaller and more viscous they are. I have many scars from the ones up in the Whitsundays. If you can use orange or yellow  lights at night (not white), seems to not attract insects as much. Haven't had any issues with them when anchored at Morton (Bulwar and Yellow patch).

Where abouts at moreton are you thinking? I have camped at the Sandhills and they were not terrible but around. Never had a problem at bulwer either. 

But (yes there is always a but). I camped on the boat one time at Kooringal in days gutter (out the front of the gutter bar). It was with my now wife then girlfriend who i had decided to invite out. 

It was a still night and had rained heavily the week before. Oh my god. I have never seen so many sandflies and mossies in my life. We just got eaten the whole night. The tide was out so we couldnt even move the boat somewhere else. Pretty good third or fourth date anyway.

My advice, try not to pick a time after it has rained.

I camped at Whitsunday Caravan park when I was about 20 and as it was stinking hot and sweaty inside the tent I stripped off to my Jocks, woke up about an hour later scratching myself senseless, couldn't work out why I was so itchy, stuck a light on and there was a small cloud with dozens of the little buggers hovering above and on me, choosing where next they were going to bite me. They had just flown straight though the fine mesh screen and were attracted to the light as I was getting ready to sleep.

I also got a job as a deckhand on a fishing boat for 10 days there  and as were worked the nets in the estuaries I had to resort to wearing plastic wet weather gear,  Rid and other stuff did not repel them and I reckon it attracted them so had to resort to wearing plastic, it seemed like  the Rid smell was sort of like a dinner bell for them, and the heat and humid conditions nearly killed me wearing that stuff, but better than having the sandflies having  a field day with me. The Sun blockout, heat and sweat  gave me heaps of ulcers where they had bitten me,  the blockout really aggravated the sores so in the end I had to quit as I had to wear the blockout in the sun up there.

They seem much worse at low tide regardless whether it is night or day, so in my opinion, sleeping on the boat is better than on the shore, best if there is a slight breeze blowing from the ocean to the shore.