Good Fishing Combos Are Getting Cheaper Year By Year! Shimano Viper Fgx Combo

Brodie_S

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, Breaming with bro said:

If anyone’s looking for a decent lure/general purpose graphite rod combo around $100 that’s actually decent and not a plastic reel with 2 bearings and a sloppy thick slow action graphite rod then check out the Shimano viper XFG rod with the the Shimano sienna FG went into BCF today picked up some more jig heads and plastics as I’ve got birthday gift card and I have some saved money from earlier in the year so I can afford my jig heads leaders plastics ETC anyway I’m pretty keen to get a graphite rod around 3-6kg I had look around and what suited my budget Of around $100 picked up the sonic pro rod wasn’t really a fan wasn’t to bad but their is better for the price had a look at a few other rods until I found the shimano viper XFG rods for the first time in my life I had found a rod that was good as a Aird X or something around that price range that came with a decent reel to . So sometime soon I will buying the 3-6kg model it’s something over 7 foot a 2 piece rod with a nice action that comes with a decent reel all for $110 only $10-20 more then a aird x rod and cheaper then buying a sonic pro and a sienna separately what more could you ask for .if anyone is looking for a general purpose rod with a decent reel that you can use soft plastics and bait for while on a budget check out the shimano Viper XFG combo or even if you just need a spare rod I don’t think you can beat it for the price all you need is a bcf club card and make sure it’s on sale price usually is. not atm but usually is .

Did you get it? How is it? 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Did you get it? How is it? 

Yes I’ve had it for almost a month now it’s a pretty decent setup for $100 I’ve mostly just caught small flathead on it so far despite using bigger lures like vibes and 3.2 inch plastics I still keep getting small flathead might have to wait a bit till the bigger ones come out the biggest fish I got was a baby shark but it decided run through thick seaweed and kelp soon as I hooked it snapped me off that was the day I bought the setup next day I was at a spot closer to home I’ve never fished but same river system Same thing small flathead and when night came I used some left over yellowtail for bait at night hoping to get big eels to test out the rod instead i got some fish that I pulled the hooks on or spat the hook out shortly After hooking them and 2 decent sized bream both 32cm which wasn’t to bad overall I’m waiting to test out on some bigger Fish but so far it’s pretty good for $100 I doubt you could find a better combo 

The 2500 and 3000 reel has a 6 point 2 to 1 gear ratio and the 1000 and 4000 have a 5 point 0 to 1 gear ratio and the 3-6kg rod happens to be a ML by memory but not %100 on that but you can find out more information on the bcf website. But generally I wouldn’t worry about gear ratios I wouldn’t make a decision on buying reel based on gear ratio cause at the end of the day It doesn’t make a hugh difference . Unless the reel is super slow like a 4:21 gear ratio but you wouldn’t find this in decent reels as decent reels have a gear ratio of atleast 5:2.1. 

On 07/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, JAYJAy said:

What is the gear ratio of the reel?

And is the rod ML?

10 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

The 2500 and 3000 reel has a 6 point 2 to 1 gear ratio and the 1000 and 4000 have a 5 point 0 to 1 gear ratio and the 3-6kg rod happens to be a ML by memory but not %100 on that but you can find out more information on the bcf website. But generally I wouldn’t worry about gear ratios I wouldn’t make a decision on buying reel based on gear ratio cause at the end of the day It doesn’t make a hugh difference . Unless the reel is super slow like a 4:21 gear ratio but you wouldn’t find this in decent reels as decent reels have a gear ratio of atleast 5:2.1. 

Gear ratio's are a big selling point if you intend to spin for mackerel/tuna. 

Good luck with a 5 to 1. They won't even look at the slug, not to mention how worn out you get trying to spin it as quick as a 6.2 to 1. 

Also retrieving plastics and baits from 50m + depths is a lot more pleasurable than a 4.5 to 1. 

The other week off Moreton I was winding up after being robbed of bait. I had a mustard big red 7/0 on the sustain outfit and on the way up it got smacked by a mack tuna. Never had that happen before but it was a handy catch cuase they make great flesh baits. 

I can only put it down to the speed I was winding up at cause there was no bait on. 

I had an old TSS4. Big bulky plastic winch with a plastic spool. If you didn't back the braid with mono it would end up cutting the spool in half, and then when you caught a lot of big fish the spool would distort but these were the go to reel for spinning as they were the only high speed spinner on the market. 

I now have a sustain C5000XG. Best value for money high ratio spin reel imo.

I don't normally lean towards shimano spinners, I prefer diawa but this sustain is a weapon. Bottom bash with it as well. 

The rod it is on is a rod I can not part with. Old school custom job with big black grips, 7ft but light as a feather and for some reason the rod that most of the fish go for so the sustain cops a flogging. 

Just my 3c on gear ratio's. 

1 hour ago, Junky said:

Gear ratio's are a big selling point if you intend to spin for mackerel/tuna. 

Good luck with a 5 to 1. They won't even look at the slug, not to mention how worn out you get trying to spin it as quick as a 6.2 to 1. 

Also retrieving plastics and baits from 50m + depths is a lot more pleasurable than a 4.5 to 1. 

The other week off Moreton I was winding up after being robbed of bait. I had a mustard big red 7/0 on the sustain outfit and on the way up it got smacked by a mack tuna. Never had that happen before but it was a handy catch cuase they make great flesh baits. 

I can only put it down to the speed I was winding up at cause there was no bait on. 

I had an old TSS4. Big bulky plastic winch with a plastic spool. If you didn't back the braid with mono it would end up cutting the spool in half, and then when you caught a lot of big fish the spool would distort but these were the go to reel for spinning as they were the only high speed spinner on the market. 

I now have a sustain C5000XG. Best value for money high ratio spin reel imo.

I don't normally lean towards shimano spinners, I prefer diawa but this sustain is a weapon. Bottom bash with it as well. 

The rod it is on is a rod I can not part with. Old school custom job with big black grips, 7ft but light as a feather and for some reason the rod that most of the fish go for so the sustain cops a flogging. 

Just my 3c on gear ratio's. 

Actually I never fought about that thanks for the tip I’m so used to using 1000 and 2500 reels but yeah those are some good points I’m pretty sure the 5000 Stradic is a 6.21 but not sure but I’ll definitely be getting a 6.21 for offshore applications . Also But why do you prefer daiwa? I’ve used both and came back to shimano I just found shimano had better gearing and daiwa just a lil junky in some places and daiwa reels can’t take a dunking but this is in the cheaper end stuff medium end reels like the kix lt and the luvis would probably be a lot better and reels like the BG can definitely take a dunking 

7 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Actually I never fought about that thanks for the tip I’m so used to using 1000 and 2500 reels but yeah those are some good points I’m pretty sure the 5000 Stradic is a 6.21 but not sure but I’ll definitely be getting a 6.21 for offshore applications . Also But why do you prefer daiwa? I’ve used both and came back to shimano I just found shimano had better gearing and daiwa just a lil junky in some places and daiwa reels can’t take a dunking but this is in the cheaper end stuff medium end reels like the kix lt and the luvis would probably be a lot better and reels like the BG can definitely take a dunking 

Spin gear.

Mainly because of the pro diawa gear, the top end stuff.

Back in the day the saltigas were the top of the range....and tuff. 

Chances are if you're like me and bought one then it will be still going strong all these years later, but you have to keep a close eye on them or they go missing. 

I still have a Capricorn 1000 and 4000. Well my son has the 1000 now. Passing things down is cool to do. 

The 4000 is my loan reel. 

Diawa Capricorn released a 4500J series. 

That was a tough cookie. A favourite with the jack fisho's. Shimano had nothing close for 300 bucks. 

Yes the $50 stuff at bcf is rubbish, but diawa dont cater to that market so their atritude towards it is reflected in the product. Plenty of other manufacturers out there with that end of the market covered. 

I use shimano overheads. 

Same reason as above. They last. 

If they don't last then it's in the bin.

Yeah for flathead bream and general estuary/river work I prefer the slower retrieve reels but hasn't been an issue with the high gear ratio Stradic you just got slow down you’re retrieve when using plastics but yeah for offshore applications I %100 agree on junky I just haven’t really fought about offshore fishing until my older

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

In the same vein as Junky needing high gear ratios, there are those that prefer a slower retrieve rate. Freshwater fishing is a good example.

brother bought a 35 foot boat 

• 10 months later...

Hi, getting back into fishing after 30 years. Have just bought this rig and plan on using it in a fresh water dam for cod and just off shore for snapper. Only dipping my toes in the water and realise that it won't be a perfect set up, can anyone recommend a decent spool of line to suit the reel?