ellicat

I'm trying to figure out how to get a bag of squid for bait or food. Hopefully some members can answer some questions for me.

When is squid season ? or can they be caught all year ?

I know they are attracted by light at night. I was thinking around Huyber's light might be a spot to try. Thoughts ?

What about day time ? What should I be looking for to find the little suckers ? Weed beds in shallow water or deeper water ?

Any help will be appreciated.

sorry - it's been ages since I've done it.

but that circle just off dunwich - lots of seagrass there. Have seen a kingy eat a squid that was swimming along the top there. Angus and I almost wet ourselves 😄 And i've done OK landbased for squid there so must be ok with a boat.

The 2nd bigger area - somewhere around there was a massive weedbed in 2-4m of water. Years ago there was a floating dock that was anchored out there. About 50m south of it, we found squid. I can't remember who was fishing with me (kriso? or Benno?) but we lobbed the big tigers we caught at the floating dock and found kingies under the dock. Got a hook up but didn't land any.

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Being visual feeders suggests to me that light at night is essential ? So a spotty on the water should attract them ?

Most squid fishing I've done has been during the day. But at night you can see them with a spot light yep. Unsure if light actually attracts them per se, but it sounds like it does! Not too much help on that one 

Clean water is key, if going land based winter is the best on the mainland. Broken rock  and broken weed beds will hold. Rainbow and rouse hold good numbers. If your ever bottom bashing straddie inshore usual spots like middle reef, big halfway etc be sure to drop a squid jig with a four or five ball sinker above or below the jig then wind up five metres of the bottom and place your rod in the rod holder. Solid squid when targeted like this but not too many people do it.

Hi Brian

When I was on my charter the guide was saying that squid were common over sea grass, coffee rock patches, and seaweed. I think Winter is peak time to target them. 

I always thought doing it at night with lights was a common method, as well as getting them at daytime. Good luck in getting some. Calamari would be a treat!

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Attached are some Sammy Hitzke videos/links/other vids to websites that may be helpful - 

https://bnbfishing.com.au/stalking-tiger-squid-moreton-bay/

https://ozfish.org.au/2020/04/the-tiger-squid-are-back-in-town/ (Notice in this one somone familiar @Drop Bear)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/Squid-Fishing-Guide-Moreton-Bay-508107675941369/

(Just type in, "Squidding - Moreton Bay" and you will get much more 🙂).

3 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Most squid fishing I've done has been during the day. But at night you can see them with a spot light yep. Unsure if light actually attracts them per se, but it sounds like it does! Not too much help on that one 

I think that the light attracts bait fish which in turn attracts the squid.

36 minutes ago, jon said:

Also some broken bottom Areas on the western side of the bay Will produce small cuttlefish (snapper baits !)when jigs are fished very close to the bottom. And if your bottom bashing Deeper water and you think your snagged but you get some line back and then dead weight its quite often a lump of coral or rock on the end of your hook, But every now and then it’s a big cuttlefish or sometimes octopus.

My religion teacher says whenever he fishes (mainly off Mooloolaba) he always has a squid jig out the back as his fam loves squid. Sounds like it is a viable way to catch some squid when targeting other fish, jon.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

On 19/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, ellicat said:

I'm trying to figure out how to get a bag of squid for bait or food. Hopefully some members can answer some questions for me.

When is squid season ? or can they be caught all year ?

I know they are attracted by light at night. I was thinking around Huyber's light might be a spot to try. Thoughts ?

What about day time ? What should I be looking for to find the little suckers ? Weed beds in shallow water or deeper water ?

Any help will be appreciated.

I usually try shallow reefs for bigger squid I just throw a yellowtail on a squid spike under a float , has worked well for me in the past

On 19/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, jon said:

Clean water is key, if going land based winter is the best on the mainland. Broken rock  and broken weed beds will hold. Rainbow and rouse hold good numbers. If your ever bottom bashing straddie inshore usual spots like middle reef, big halfway etc be sure to drop a squid jig with a four or five ball sinker above or below the jig then wind up five metres of the bottom and place your rod in the rod holder. Solid squid when targeted like this but not too many people do it.

I am about to start targeting them in the shallow reefs and also the deeper marks as i reckon some of the bait we see out deep may be squid

Lot of good advice there Brian. Keep an eye on Spero's reports on the Fishing Monthly website as he targets squid and cuttlefish a fair bit, mostly around the northern side of Peel, eastern side of Green, plus the small ships channel and the Rouse. During winter (may be too late now, not sure) he also catches arrow and squid and cuttlefish in 6-9m of water east of St Helena/Green/Wello Pt, etc. To do so just put a 4 ball sinker directly above your squid jig and flick it up off the bottom, just like in the videos. Could alternatively use a paternoster. Good luck - tasty little suckers!!

Cuttlefish grow to quite a large size, when I was young I speared one down in Victoria off the Mt.Martha rocks and the body was about 60 cm without the tentacles, it lit up like a neon Chrismas tree when I shot it, flashing neon  blues and green patterns on it's skin, when I grabbed the spear it was try trying to get to me and I had to squeeze the spear against the gun and pin it to stop it from getting to me. They can be nasty buggers when attacked.

5 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Nah Hamish. Just take them straight home and cut out the middle man.

Nice, but I've heard the issue with this is that often those who consume it (and think it actually came from the bay) will find the bait packages in the bin. You need to stash them on the boat and then bring the squid out of the boat for it to work (or so I've heard).

Cheers Hamish

45 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Nice, but I've heard the issue with this is that often those who consume it (and think it actually came from the bay) will find the bait packages in the bin. You need to stash them on the boat and then bring the squid out of the boat for it to work (or so I've heard).

Cheers Hamish

Okay. I think I’ve got your drift. Will try it next time.