Has Anyone Used Wft Gliss Line

Brodie_S

Today I was at a shopping centre/mall and found a small sports shop with a bit of everything from cricket to footie and skateboard gear I found a fishing section and spotted Some Gliss in 4kg and 6kg and  a few other heavier Kg ratings I seen the price $12 for 150m and it also had a little sample piece I felt it and it felt very similar to X8 braids I’ve have heard of Gliss before and I remembered it having very mixed opinions anyway I bought because it was cheap and super thin and also because it was different/unique type of line i bought the 6kg/13lb line I will spool it on a Shimano sienna 2500FG when I buy a viper combo I have to wait for the combo to go on club price at bcf before I buy it though . Has anyone had any experience with this line? Also sorry for always posting stuff in the tackle section of the forum lmao I need to take a break from the that side of the forum for a bit to let other people post stuff more often lmao

11 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi BwB

I have used Gliss line before. I thought it was fairly good, but here are my main thoughts.

I had it on my Shimano Sienna 1000 with 14lb. It is extremely thin, making it light to cast, and good to fit lots of line on. It is also very smooth, meaning it will roll through guides easily, go off roller on your reel easily, etc. The one thing bad about it is that it can slip when tying knots (but you'll be able to tie them all good most of the time). 

I cannot say it would be crap or anything like that, and I would give it another chance. The main con I found was that it can fray and then you can end up with a few meters of line that isn't so schmicko anymore. Lol. I would recommend spooling it on your Shimano Sienna though, overall it is pretty good (especially for casting distances).

Hope that helps,

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Don't be sorry for posting in the Tackle, Rods, and Reels section. I like to read your posts about all the different things... And it keeps this section nice and busy. 🙂 

Yeah I always test my knots before using them so I should be fine in terms of Knot strength . Hopefully This rod combo can go back to regular club price again and I can test out the line 

I ditched a whole heap of WTF line a while ago, I spooled up a few of my baitcasters with it, and after a while I tested some of the 18Kg line left over on the spool with a 4-5kg weight, tried to lift it slowly off the floor and it snapped, not at the knot but in the middle of the line, tried a few other new spools that I had and same result. So into the bin it all went, I unwound it off all the reels and replaced it with thicker braid. Others may have had better results with it than I did, but to say I was unimpressed with it would be an understatement!

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

I ditched a whole heap of WTF line a while ago, I spooled up a few of my baitcasters with it, and after a while I tested some of the 18Kg line left over on the spool with a 4-5kg weight, tried to lift it slowly off the floor and it snapped, not at the knot but in the middle of the line, tried a few other new spools that I had and same result. So into the bin it all went, I unwound it off all the reels and replaced it with thicker braid. Others may have had better results with it than I did, but to say I was unimpressed with it would be an understatement!

Yeah a lot of people say it’s great but at the same time a lot of people hate it i already got a spool so soon as I get this rod combo I will test it out. hopefully this spool of Gliss is decent . I’ll probably test it by using Vibes for flatties as I got the 6kg Gliss and it will be spooled on a 2500 reel matched with a 3-6kg 7’6 graphite rod might get jewfish if I’m lucky also i will be tying a leader with this line to . 

17 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah a lot of people say it’s great but at the same time a lot of people hate it i already got a spool so soon as I get this rod combo I will test it out. hopefully this spool of Gliss is decent . I’ll probably test it by using Vibes for flatties as I got the 6kg Gliss and it will be spooled on a 2500 reel matched with a 3-6kg 7’6 graphite rod might get jewfish if I’m lucky also i will be tying a leader with this line to . 

Sounds like a good combo. I know you love your light tackle fishing but depending on what size jew you hook you may want a lot of line on your reel. If you only had 100-150M you may risk getting spooled (a lot of videos of jews I have seen have been big runs, and pretty heavy tackle... Then again, you hear plenty of stories of people getting them on 4 or 6 pound line).

Cheers Hamish

6 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Sounds like a good combo. I know you love your light tackle fishing but depending on what size jew you hook you may want a lot of line on your reel. If you only had 100-150M you may risk getting spooled (a lot of videos of jews I have seen have been big runs, and pretty heavy tackle... Then again, you hear plenty of stories of people getting them on 4 or 6 pound line).

Cheers Hamish

Yeah it’s mainly for flatties in the river it’s just possible I might hook a Jew on the vibes it’s mainly meant for fishing closer near the coast For fish like tailor and smallish kingfish or whatever decides to eat plastics around 3-5 inches or if I ever go up north again I will actually be able to land a a fish over 7kg the 6lb kept keeping shredded up in north QLD the biggest fish I landed on 6lb was the 69cm queenfish and that massive batfish I remember at Cooktown I hooked a fish that ate my bait but I couldn’t reel it in because it was to big like at all it was like I was snagged  The fish decided to start moving Wasn’t even running just slowly swimming and I had to walk along with fish lmao the fish was moving me not the other way around I didn’t move that fish a single inch eventually the fish got to the end of the wharf and went under a pontoon and snapped my 6lb braid I had 0 control over that fish it was like trying to reel in 500kg weight that moved 

• 4 months later...

TLDR version: Gliss definitely has its quirks but in my opinion it's benefits can outweigh the downsides in certain applications. It’s cheap and casts amazingly, but only get the transparent (white) colour - all other colours are a problem.

For context, I mainly fish ultralight, targeting bream through to Salmon in the salt and bass in the fresh. I've been using 4Kg Gliss (transparent) as my primary line on my ultra-light setups for about 18 months now. I previously used 6lb 8 carrier braids (like J-Braid or Siglon). Originally, I tried Gliss out of a desire to save a few dollars - I had a few reels to spool up and the $60-ish dollars per reel was starting to hurt. 

Pros:

• It’s cheap! A 150m spool of 4Kg Gliss is around $20, compared to $35 for the same spool of J-Braid. Obviously j-Braid comes down in price significantly if you buy in bulk, which you cannot do with Gliss.
  • Gliss is incredibly thin for it’s strength rating. 4kg (~9lb) Gliss has a diameter of approx. .10mm (For comparison 8lb X8 J-Braid is .13mm). This is particularly useful when using Gliss on rods with extremely small micro guides - it lets you use stronger lines than you might otherwise be able to fit through the guides.  
  • It is extremely smooth and has a very low friction coefficient. This results in what I believe to be Gliss' best quality - Castability! This thin diameter combined with incredibly round, smooth profile results in a significant improvement to casting distance! It is affected by wind less, and has less drag in the water. It feels so nice to cast – it’s hard to explain, but it just flows off the spool! This really cannot be understated & is the main reason you would use Gliss – its quite a unique sensation!
  • As a side-effect of it’s thin diameter, you can fit around 20% more on a spool. Not a major advantage for some people, but can help counter some of the downsides of Gliss.
  • In most other ways Gliss has virtually identical properties to regular braid – almost no line memory (In the transparent colour anyway), takes on very little water and floats the same as braid.

Cons:

• Due to how thin and slick the line is, knots will slip more with Gliss, which limits your leader knot options. You will have to be proficient at FGs or modified Albrights (sometimes called an Alberto) - Double uni, blood, surgeon and most other knots all slip, and cannot be relied on. If you fish straight braid through to your lure or hook, I don’t think Gliss will be suitable.
  • It is definitely less abrasion resistant, even compared to braid. If you fish near tight cover, you might need to run a longer leader than you would normally. I usually tie on several meters (around 2 1/2 rod lengths) of wind-on leader. 
  • People report a higher number of wind knots with Gliss. I had more wind knots when I first starting using Gliss, but it seems to have stopped. Not sure why.
  • The transparent/White colour can be hard to see, particularly in low-light or in the dark. This is particularly an issue because;
  • All Gliss colours other than transparent have a coating that causes the line to have memory, results in more wind knots and makes knots even more likely to slip. This is so bad that I cannot recommend any colour other than transparent.
  • Gliss can get kind of “fluffy” over time. This is really only happens in the last foot or so of the line, so it’s easy enough to deal with – I just snip off a bit extra when I retie my leader. This does mean you go through your mainline faster, but is countered by the additional capacity afforded by Gliss.

Should you try it? I really like it, but I don’t know if it’s better enough than normal braid to warrant a change. It’s a good bit cheaper and is really nice to fish with, but I wouldn’t unwind a full spool of braid to swap it with Gliss. For ultralight applications it can provide significant advantages over regular braid, but in the heavier weight classes, most of those advantages are less noticeable. For $20, it’s worth considering when you next respool, if only as an experiment.

Good write up @BinaryFart. I'm still sussing it out. Agree about the knots slipping. Although I tied some 42lb today and it seemed to hold much better. Maybe because of the greater diameter.

I think Dinga still has a special on at $10 for 150 metres or $15 for 300 metres. Time to stock up if you like it.

Apologies for the thread necromancy 🙂 I was looking for other people's views on Gliss and other than a few articles in online mags, there didn't seem to be a lot out there. So I decided to write down my thoughts on it - Not my usual way of doing things, but I figured it was suitable for my first post here 🙂

11 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Top write up @BinaryFart. Much appreciated.

I plan to spool as much 10LB Gliss (or near too that) on my Nasci 2500. The Fireline on it is no good 😞.

Cheers Hamish

Sounds good hamish the 10lb Gliss feels similar to 6lb braid to me. Make sure you cut the tag ends of you’re knot as close as possible I cut mine a tad longer by the tiniest bit and got a couple of wind knots the other day I could all untangle them fine but it does damage the line near the knot when you do get tangles so always be sure to tie thin strong knots and cut the tag ends pretty much so you can’t see any tag while being careful not to snip the actual knot. Other then that Gliss has been a pleasure to use . Good slim knots like the FG make the line preform wonderfully 

• 4 months later...
On 19/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, Ed. said:

Man i just got some 8kg for my baitcaster since I love the 4kg on my sienna 1000 so much, and this stuff is snapping way too easily in tests I haven’t tied any weight to it yet to see what kg will snap it but I was gonna so that tomorrow. The line casts amazing otherwise. Maybe they have really bad quality control and we got bad batches? I really wanna like this line; it’s so thin you don’t even need a leader with 8kg “translucent” 

15 hours ago, Hoffies said:

Man i just got some 8kg for my baitcaster since I love the 4kg on my sienna 1000 so much, and this stuff is snapping way too easily in tests I haven’t tied any weight to it yet to see what kg will snap it but I was gonna so that tomorrow. The line casts amazing otherwise. Maybe they have really bad quality control and we got bad batches? I really wanna like this line; it’s so thin you don’t even need a leader with 8kg “translucent” 

Yeah I don’t think quality control is the best on gliss so far I’m gonna stick to using daiwa j braid x 8 and x 4 I still have a few reels spooled with it the spools I’ve gotten are definitely strong as advertised have done testing my self but over time the line gets weaker and weaker so if you fishing almost every day or muiltple times a week this line will most likely only last 3-4 months before you start getting a lot of issues I’ve found knot strength to be extremely strong if you tie properly and overall a pretty strong line .for the price I think it’s good but I’d rather pay $30 for 150m of daiwa x8 and have it last 3-4 times longer j braid is already a very good casting line very strong and smooth and also has a bit of abrasion resistance . My overall opinion on it is that it’s a good casting decent strength line but gets weak over time and doesn’t have a lot of abrasion resistance.

Down the breakwater today, decide to take the 6th brake off my caenan, peg the lure out ($15+ chasebaits rip snorter) and get an overrun like a noob; lure is jerked back mid flight suddenly and the  leader knot slips and off she sails out into space 

why  have double uni knot as recommended main to leader knot literally on the packet when it’s gonna  slip??? Reeeeeee

BE521442-F1EF-4AA3-B4A7-5CE7E902BAE0.jpeg

Edited by ellicat
mind your language

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/07/2021 at 7:15 PM, Hoffies said:

Down the breakwater today, decide to take the 6th brake off my caenan, peg the lure out ($15+ chasebaits rip snorter) and get an overrun like a noob; lure is jerked back mid flight suddenly and the  leader knot slips and off she sails out into space 

why  have double uni knot as recommended main to leader knot literally on the packet when it’s gonna  slip??? Reeeeeee

BE521442-F1EF-4AA3-B4A7-5CE7E902BAE0.jpeg

Yeah I’ve found FG’s is the best leader connection knot for Gliss anything else can be a bit risky 

• 2 years later...

Gidday. Late I know, but I have quite a bit of experience with Gliss.

First off, I bought all my Gliss at once after I tested two spools of different strengths. I have it on my bara, snapper, kingfish, Tommie and Gar, whiting, callop and Murray Cod rods. 12 of my 22 reels are baitcasters or overhead reels. Since I began using it eight years ago, I have not had a knot slip. Had one birds nest on my Shimano 150 (my own stupid fault), and most importantly, never lost a fish due to line snap. Even today I wash my line in warm clean fresh water after every use, even when away for a week fishing from my boat. I have chased Lincoln Lizards with soft plastics on an incoming tide.

It was recommended to me and I had the person order it for me to test. I did everything I could with it. Personally I found it very difficult to use when casting small soft lures for Bream. Not heavy enough to pull line off. My bad again. But a heavier lure worked okay. So for me, the Gliss works well for my gear and my type of fishing. Others in the group also tried Gliss, but one by one they dropped it. Most said it was too hard to knot with their aging fingers, but I found perseverance works. Possible cause of knot slip???  Others said they were colour blind and couldn't see the line. I took that as a euphemism for: "I'm dropping it because the others are." The upside was that I scored more Gliss for free. Other than that, I have always been a light line fisherman so my drag is always set and I never rush retrieving a fish. And before anyone asks, I do not work for Gliss.

Gliss is much like a highly refined Fireline, a super slick fused braid.

It does cast well on threadlines, not flash on baitcasters as it will bury quickly under load.

It has a decent amount of life to it but like Fireline it does fray at times requiring trimming back.

I did not have any problems with knots with it for the three years i ran it on 4 different reels.

These days I use Tasline or Nitlon PEX8 for the extra thin extra limp braids for spinning reels.

Baitcasters are loaded with bionic braid mostly, not needing to be thin braids.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, foxxyfisher said:

Hi all, has anyone else found issues with the coloured versions of Gliss that weren’t present with the white/transparent? I haven’t heard that elsewhere, am weighing up whether I try get hold of some but can only find the coloured line. 

Cheers

I found no extra problems with coloured Gliss over white...same problems long term though.

With the newer 8, 9 12 and 16 braid lines out there these days that are remarkably thin and either super slick or natural tight weave you will better the casting distance of Gliss.

Do not be afraid to search out 9 or 12 ply braids on Aliesxpress, I am currently using some that is at least as good as Tasline for thin diameter, super supple and super slick....$36ish for 1000m delivered. It is a very good braid for me so far and at that price I don't care if I change it out every year or so.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000588801486.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.29.298fkz1Kkz1Kcp&algo_pvid=13be6c6a-7344-4732-9249-cfda9c4057c0&algo_exp_id=13be6c6a-7344-4732-9249-cfda9c4057c0-14&pdp_npi=4%40dis!AUD!11.33!11.33!!!7.29!7.29!%402103243417090723159276007e833a!10000003450278939!sea!AU!4158163313!&curPageLogUid=t6AI3pUr8FfX&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

On 20/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, Brodie_S said:

Yeah it’s mainly for flatties in the river it’s just possible I might hook a Jew on the vibes it’s mainly meant for fishing closer near the coast For fish like tailor and smallish kingfish or whatever decides to eat plastics around 3-5 inches or if I ever go up north again I will actually be able to land a a fish over 7kg the 6lb kept keeping shredded up in north QLD the biggest fish I landed on 6lb was the 69cm queenfish and that massive batfish I remember at Cooktown I hooked a fish that ate my bait but I couldn’t reel it in because it was to big like at all it was like I was snagged  The fish decided to start moving Wasn’t even running just slowly swimming and I had to walk along with fish lmao the fish was moving me not the other way around I didn’t move that fish a single inch eventually the fish got to the end of the wharf and went under a pontoon and snapped my 6lb braid I had 0 control over that fish it was like trying to reel in 500kg weight that moved 

You hooked a grouper 😂😂