AFO Sharking Trip In Summer... Who's Keen?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

My dad and I (well I roped my dad in) have been thinking about doing a sharking trip in Summer with AFO - so a social basically 🙂 

It would probably be land-based though, which may (but hopefully not) deter some who would rather be in a boat. 

There are a few locations that it could be, (preferably on the Brisbane River), which are the following - 

Colleges Crossing - very renowned for sharks, a park for family, quite large so it could spaciously fit lots of anglers. 

West End area (Orleigh Park, Guyatt Park, Riverside Dog Park area, etc) - May be closer for some members - I have been to Orleigh Park and there is plenty of space for fishing, a big playground for children (that aren't fishing), and you can have picnics there. It may get quite crowded though, so might not be the most convenient). 

City area/Kangaroo Point - We could go to Kangaroo Point or under the Story Bridge - may be too crowded though

Logan River somewhere....

(Any more locations suggested would be good 🙂)... And if we do end up with a location I will try and give it a fish beforehand. 

@christophagus, were you keen for something like this?

I'm just seeing who would actually be keen at the moment though, because I don't want to try and do something no one wants to come to! Lol. 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. I just realised most of you consider sharks pests when fishing... Soooooooo. 

I'm keen if the dates work for me Hamish. Will let @christophagus guide us on a suitable venue. I think alot of us view sharks as a pest if we are trying to catch snapper, etc but I also think alot of us will happily target them for a session and  suspect quite a few would also be happy to take one for a feed - I know I would 🙂.

8 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'd be up for a social, but probably can't do a Saturday.

8 hours ago, Kat said:

I'm keen!

Hi Brian and Kat

That sounds good. We will see what suits everyone but it probably wouldn't be on a Saturday because some people may have sports, or there kids may have sports, etc (like I have tennis and basketball on Saturdays)

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I'm keen if the dates work for me Hamish. Will let @christophagus guide us on a suitable venue. I think alot of us view sharks as a pest if we are trying to catch snapper, etc but I also think alot of us will happily target them for a session and  suspect quite a few would also be happy to take one for a feed - I know I would 🙂.

Hi KM

Yep, I plan to take one to try. It will hopefully be yummy! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Hey Hamish

I presume my little rod and reel with 10lb braid won't be sufficient for the job.  I will have to focus on the social aspect and help land them maybe.  Oh and I am good at baking so will bring something yummy for everyone to eat and keep their energy up.

I am excited already.  Feel like a kid again 😸

Cheers Kat

4 hours ago, Kat said:

Hey Hamish

I presume my little rod and reel with 10lb braid won't be sufficient for the job.  I will have to focus on the social aspect and help land them maybe.  Oh and I am good at baking so will bring something yummy for everyone to eat and keep their energy up.

Cheers Kat

Hi Kat

You might want to go a little bit heavier. Remember the Brisbane River holds lots of fish so if you wanted to just use your rod you could catch some bream or cod, etc. I like baking except I'm not good at it (I'm better at eating than baking). 

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

@Kat, I'm sure there are a few spare setups amongst the crew for you to use on the day.

But still bring something scrumptious.

Hi Brian

Yep, I'd be happy to loan out one of my rods (I will have my dad's baitcaster, my Penn reel, and a cheaper combo). 

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'm up for anything sweet.

Same!!!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

4 hours ago, Kat said:

Hey Hamish

Cheers Kat

10lbs would be fine for bull sharks under the 1m mark. in fact 10lbs would be great fun!

location could be a tricky one if you get a few people who want to go. 

in the past, the social was more an online thing 

i think the previous socials were a more online comp/social to see how many people could catch sharks. Purely because its hard to fishing for sharks in a group land based. you need some space between rods because the last thing you want is one person hooking a shark and it running and taking out 6 peoples lines causing a huge tangle haha

7 hours ago, christophagus said:

in the past, the social was more an online thing 

i think the previous socials were a more online comp/social to see how many people could catch sharks. Purely because its hard to fishing for sharks in a group land based. you need some space between rods because the last thing you want is one person hooking a shark and it running and taking out 6 peoples lines causing a huge tangle haha

So the idea may not work in practice.  Bit of a bummer it sounded like fun.  Online social not so much 😞

57 minutes ago, Kat said:

So the idea may not work in practice.  Bit of a bummer it sounded like fun.  Online social not so much 😞

Could look at having a landbased fishing spot for some people, others could fish out of their boats either nearby or somewhere else and then meet up at the landbased spot later in the day for a BBQ, chinwag, etc?

Just now, kmcrosby78 said:

Could look at having a landbased fishing spot for some people, others could fish out of their boats either nearby or somewhere else and then meet up at the landbased spot later in the day for a BBQ, chinwag, etc?

Yep, that is what I'd think KM. If it is all over the computer then it may just defeat the purpose of a 'social' as you're not actually catching up.

It could be something like (i.e.) Fish at the Colmslie Recreation Reserve and the Colmslie area for small bullies then meet up for a sausage sizzle or something of the likes...

Cheers Hamish

Dont get too caught up in the "online" aspect of the social. Last time a few boats went out, people got decky spots, few people went land based etc. Was more about people who arent really familiar with the style of fishing to learn some new stuff off people who have more experience.

over the past few weeks ive been putting some info together in my lunch breaks as a bit of a "guide - how to" for the sharks with this type of social eventually in mind. Just hope that some people don't get all upset about sharks over 1.5m being caught...can tend to ruffle some feathers and be a bit of a sensitive subject lol

4 hours ago, christophagus said:

Dont get too caught up in the "online" aspect of the social. Last time a few boats went out, people got decky spots, few people went land based etc. Was more about people who arent really familiar with the style of fishing to learn some new stuff off people who have more experience.

over the past few weeks ive been putting some info together in my lunch breaks as a bit of a "guide - how to" for the sharks with this type of social eventually in mind. Just hope that some people don't get all upset about sharks over 1.5m being caught...can tend to ruffle some feathers and be a bit of a sensitive subject lol

Hey Chris

Well maybe we could do a mix of things... Like have, say, a month's period of time to catch them, and then maybe one day on that month people who want to can meet up and go for a fish. Trusting that the spot is spacious enough, tangles may not be the worst issue.

I think it is fine to target sharks over 1.5M. It is a good way to catch bigger fish and I would say it is pretty well a sport. I hope to get a decent one over 1M this Summer though 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

14 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Chris

Well maybe we could do a mix of things... Like have, say, a month's period of time to catch them, and then maybe one day on that month people who want to can meet up and go for a fish. Trusting that the spot is spacious enough, tangles may not be the worst issue.

I think it is fine to target sharks over 1.5M. It is a good way to catch bigger fish and I would say it is pretty well a sport. I hope to get a decent one over 1M this Summer though 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

im with you mate. But some people really bang on about targeting the big versions (over 1.5m). Technically illegal, but no more illegal than taking a picture of an undersized fish lol i tend to think the people on this site at the moment are a really great bunch of people, no one is out to "get" one another so i dont see it being an issue.

But anyway, i think if we organised a "shark month" much like the discovery channel lol it would give people plenty of chances to tag along to other peoples trips landbased or not and learn a thing or two

2 minutes ago, christophagus said:

im with you mate. But some people really bang on about targeting the big versions (over 1.5m). Technically illegal, but no more illegal than taking a picture of an undersized fish lol i tend to think the people on this site at the moment are a really great bunch of people, no one is out to "get" one another.

Yeah, well those people just need the joy of actually getting out and catching some! Lol. I must say I don't 100% see where people come from when they say that it is wrong to catch bigger sharks - like you said it is no more illegal than taking a photo of an undersize fish. I would love to catch some bigger sharks this Summer especially out of the Brissy River. I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are handled with care and let go.

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Yeah, well those people just need the joy of actually getting out and catching some! Lol. I must say I don't 100% see where people come from when they say that it is wrong to catch bigger sharks - like you said it is no more illegal than taking a photo of an undersize fish. I would love to catch some bigger sharks this Summer especially out of the Brissy River. I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are handled with care and let go.

Cheers Hamish

if only everyone had your positive attitude lol love it! 

All sounds good to me Hamish and Chris. For those looking for a decent land-based spot (I haven't tried for sharks there but no reason you wouldn't get them) the new-ish fishing/boating pontoon (boats have right of way from memory but can only moor for short time periods - two hours from memory) at Murarrie 

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/things-to-see-and-do/outdoor-activities/boating-canoeing-and-fishing/public-river-and-recreation-hubs-boat-ramps-canoe-ramps-and-pontoons/river-access-network/murarrie-recreation-hub

also happens to be right in front of Brewdog which just so happens so sell mighty fine beer and food ...... 🙂 

Hi KM

Yep, Murrarie Rec Hub seems to be a pretty good spot. Over various sites, I have seen luderick, squire, threadfin, and other assorted fish there. In fact, @squeak6969 caught a 98cm threadie there I think - pretty good! 

It sure could be an option - I will do some research into sharking there.

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Here is a link of a couple fishing and catching a nice sized bull shark, possibly up at Frazer. Nice beach but you may think twice about going for a swim there! It starts off a bit slow but gets better towards the end.

that is one tame shark lol

y isnt it thrashing about

its just tired i guess

On 21/10/2020 at 6:49 AM, Kat said:

Hey Hamish

Cheers Kat

I have some gear you can borrow if you would like. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have some gear you can borrow if you would like. 

Thanks!  Since that post I have been given a couple of reels another heavier rod and a surf rod.  Unfortunately I don't know what weight line is spooled on the reels.  When I figure that out I should be able to figure out whether I need to borrow anything.  But I am pretty sure the line weight will be strong enough because the reels are 4500 ish so presume line that was paired with them will be pretty strong 

I will let you know🙏

After watching the couple catch the bull shark I am a bit concerned/sad that the exercise was distressing or harmful for the shark unnecessarily.  By the look of it the shark was exhausted and isn't it hard enough for them to hunt and eat?  Should they have to waste their energy on our entertainment?  I certainly understand the excitement of sportfishing - but is catch and release really better than just catching to eat?  Or releasing fish that you didn't target or are too small?  Rather than specifically targeting another living thing just for the fun of it?  IDK - undecided...

If I am to go shark fishing I think it will be with the intention of catching something I can keep and eat. That is my general intention of fishing any species - to catch something me, my family and friends can eat- and have the fun and excitement and being out in nature at the same time.

Maybe someone who practices catch and release could explain to me why - I have always thought they were more concerned about the wellbeing of fish than I was.  But after watching that video I am not so sure.

cheers kat

Hey Kat

Well, even if the shark looks in bad nick... They are tough. If it is done properly and safely, they will be given a good swimming, which pretty much gets them ready to go back to their home just as energetic as they were before the fight - you might think of it as someone lying down, or sitting, after you went for a big jog around town. I think @christophagus would know more on this subject than me as he targets the bigguns in Summer 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

On 01/11/2020 at 5:36 PM, Kat said:

Rather than specifically targeting another living thing just for the fun of it?

I agree and I go fishing to get food for myself and my family... most of the time. 

In saying that, I really do see the appeal of catch and release. It is a unique opportunity to see these beautiful creatures right up close. It is a way to have a personal experience with fish/sharks. We don't get to see fish normally and when you catch one it gives you a look into what is actually living down there. 

I feel that people get a feeling of empowerment by releasing the fish, similar to buying a bird to release it. I am sure the birds and fish would prefer to be left alone haha.  

A lot of work goes into looking after fish for catch and release. Many of my friends fish for Murry Cod and only release them. They file off the barbs on their hooks and don't take the fish out of the water at any stage. Others use fine meshed nets and other practices to minimise the impact on the fish. 

So while I agree that at times we are harassing them for our own entertainment, I hope that these experiences are educational and help to fosters a better understanding of our marine environment. I hope it increases peoples stewardship and they help look after fish habitat.