Coffs Harbour Fishing Session 1 And 2 + Gliss And Sienna Combo

Brodie_S

Yesterday evening I went down to Coffs Harbour jettie and found a nice spot that went down a staircase and was sort of under the actual jettie . I had a 200G pack of tweed bait anchovies and some mustad big red hooks in size 4 I got from MO tackle on special..... spent a hour in there looking at everything I could it was massive lmao . I bait a up rod and cast out  a unweighted bait not long after I managed to catch 2 decent size yellowtail I brain spike them and put them in a plastic bag for bait after that there was simply to many yellowtail around to catch anything decent I just kept getting baited after awhile it’s now dark and I catch 2 of the smallish pike ever one of them I thought I dropped a fish but it was just so small I didn’t notice it and I was fishing pretty light to . After that I got 2 under size tailor and 2 dropped fish that felt decent after that I ended the session

6-10pm I forgot to record conditions I’ve done that a fair bit lately whoops 

gear . Shimano stradic 1000 atomic arrowz bream surface rod 3-8lb 2pc 6lb braid and extra thick 6lb mono 0.27

daiwa aird 2000 lt daiwa aird x 2-4kg 10lb braid and 14lb fluorocarbon leader 

session 2 Coffs Harbour breakwall . Before I went to the breakwall I noticed the sienna viper combos were on club price again for $99 I went down to bcf bought the combo in 7’6 3-6kg with the 2500 reel and spooled it up with 6kg Gliss and tied a thick 6lb mono 0.27m via a triple finish Alberto went down the breakwall with my new setup and tied on my mustad big red hook with a small sinker and used some yellowtail strips that I caught the night before and casted out the fishing was pretty slow but after awhile i seen this small shark near my bait and not long after I got a decent run after a few decent headshakes this shark decided to run through thick sea weed and wreck my whole leader and bust me off after that I retied my leader and once again the fishing was slow after awhile I caught a small bream around 20-23cm and called it a night 

once again I forgot to look up the conditions before writing this but it’s was 5-9pm tonight 

gear shimano sienna 2500FG shimano viper FGX 3-6kg 6kg Gliss and thick 6lb leader 0.27m

total success 4/10 not a full donut but only small fish were around 

First impression of Gliss .the breakwall was a good way to test out the abrasion resistance I didn’t have any problems with abrasion fishing tight heavy structures .cast ability was 10/10 I didn’t need to cast far tonight so I didn’t really get a good test for casting but it seemed to cast excellent anyway . It’s strong just like braid and didn’t snap when I got snagged . That’s my impression so far it just feels and acts like braid just a lot thinner but I see how it goes after a few months of fishing with it 

first impressions for the viper sienna combo . The first impressions from the sienna FG at the start of year were pretty disappointing but they seem to be a lot better now and one I got with combo surely was it was smooth and didn’t have flex anywhere in the body or the handle .line lay was perfect casting was easy and was overall a nice reel to use the only thing I didn’t like about the reel was it had a tiny line clip .for the price of the reel alone though it’s probably the best in the $50 price range and it is enjoyable using this reel . The rod is excellent I don’t normally like Shimano’s rod’s but I really seem to like this one feels very similar to a aird x rod by daiwa . Overall for $99 this is the best combo for the money without a doubt .for $100 you can’t even buy a decent rod and reel separately and the other combos around $100 that are meant for lure fishing feel horrible and the rods are usually super flexible and have a thick graphite blank  and the reels are usually plastic with a metal spools and are super wonky and have heaps of flex and play . Overall so far it’s a 10/10 for the shimano sienna viper combo 

5A0E8E37-D890-4D9A-BF5D-91F21DE5F41E.jpeg

C6464025-2EFE-4C94-9F33-45290094506A.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yesterday evening I went down to Coffs Harbour jettie and found a nice spot that went down a staircase and was sort of under the actual jettie . I had a 200G pack of tweed bait anchovies and some mustad big red hooks in size 4 I got from MO tackle on special..... spent a hour in there looking at everything I could it was massive lmao . I bait a up rod and cast out  a unweighted bait not long after I managed to catch 2 decent size yellowtail I brain spike them and put them in a plastic bag for bait after that there was simply to many yellowtail around to catch anything decent I just kept getting baited after awhile it’s now dark and I catch 2 of the smallish pike ever one of them I thought I dropped a fish but it was just so small I didn’t notice it and I was fishing pretty light to . After that I got 2 under size tailor and 2 dropped fish that felt decent after that I ended the session

6-10pm I forgot to record conditions I’ve done that a fair bit lately whoops 

gear . Shimano stradic 1000 atomic arrowz bream surface rod 3-8lb 2pc 6lb braid and extra thick 6lb mono 0.27

daiwa aird 2000 lt daiwa aird x 2-4kg 10lb braid and 14lb fluorocarbon leader 

session 2 Coffs Harbour breakwall . Before I went to the breakwall I noticed the sienna viper combos were on club price again for $99 I went down to bcf bought the combo in 7’6 3-6kg with the 2500 reel and spooled it up with 6kg Gliss and tied a thick 6lb mono 0.27m via a triple finish Alberto went down the breakwall with my new setup and tied on my mustad big red hook with a small sinker and used some yellowtail strips that I caught the night before and casted out the fishing was pretty slow but after awhile i seen this small shark near my bait and not long after I got a decent run after a few decent headshakes this shark decided to run through thick sea weed and wreck my whole leader and bust me off after that I retied my leader and once again the fishing was slow after awhile I caught a small bream around 20-23cm and called it a night 

once again I forgot to look up the conditions before writing this but it’s was 5-9pm tonight 

gear shimano sienna 2500FG shimano viper FGX 3-6kg 6kg Gliss and thick 6lb leader 0.27m

total success 4/10 not a full donut but only small fish were around 

First impression of Gliss .the breakwall was a good way to test out the abrasion resistance I didn’t have any problems with abrasion fishing tight heavy structures .cast ability was 10/10 I didn’t need to cast far tonight so I didn’t really get a good test for casting but it seemed to cast excellent anyway . It’s strong just like braid and didn’t snap when I got snagged . That’s my impression so far it just feels and acts like braid just a lot thinner but I see how it goes after a few months of fishing with it 

first impressions for the viper sienna combo . The first impressions from the sienna FG at the start of year were pretty disappointing but they seem to be a lot better now and one I got with combo surely was it was smooth and didn’t have flex anywhere in the body or the handle .line lay was perfect casting was easy and was overall a nice reel to use the only thing I didn’t like about the reel was it had a tiny line clip .for the price of the reel alone though it’s probably the best in the $50 price range and it is enjoyable using this reel . The rod is excellent I don’t normally like Shimano’s rod’s but I really seem to like this one feels very similar to a aird x rod by daiwa . Overall for $99 this is the best combo for the money without a doubt .for $100 you can’t even buy a decent rod and reel separately and the other combos around $100 that are meant for lure fishing feel horrible and the rods are usually super flexible and have a thick graphite blank  and the reels are usually plastic with a metal spools and are super wonky and have heaps of flex and play . Overall so far it’s a 10/10 for the shimano sienna viper combo 

5A0E8E37-D890-4D9A-BF5D-91F21DE5F41E.jpeg

C6464025-2EFE-4C94-9F33-45290094506A.jpeg

While your in Coffs try the sawtell rocks some awesome jew off there at night time

16 minutes ago, Junky said:

When you get yakkas that size, put a hook through its lip or back and send it back out. 

Yes next time I will do that with my new setup as it’s a bit heavier 😁

5 hours ago, ellicat said:

Not so hot on the fishing front, but it sounds like you enjoyed your outfits, which is good to hear.

The little shark would have been fun while it lasted.

Yeah the fishing was quite slow in Coffs and all the fish I did catch were small The shark was fun while it Lasted I’m pretty sure it was a baby hammerhead or a wobblegong I only seen it twice before it took the bait and it had a funny shaped head 

Hi BwB

Shame there weren't the most fish, but at least you got some. Like Junky said, you can live bait those yakkas, or cut them up to make good strip baits (if it was me I would've frozen them up 🙂). 

The shark may have been a shovel nose shark as well, they fight very hard. A juvenile hammerhead would've been awesome though!

Cheers Hamish