Hervey Bay

Took a young fella out for a fish up in Hervey bay today , target species was coral trout we managed to land 2 but they were only little fellas 45cm and 47cm I wanted to throw them back but the young fella protested , so I gave them to him. The spots we tried used to produce better sized trout but it still wasn't a bad morning the young fella managed to land a nice Grassie that went 47cm . Hopefully next time I will lock horns with some decent fish.

58 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

45cm & 47cm is still not too bad and well done to the young fella on the grassie, that would have been nice and fat. Without giving your spot away, mind if I ask roughly how far from land you were fishing out of interest? We used to fish around Hervey Bay in a canoe as kids.

We didn't venture all that far from Gatekers we just focused on 2 areas , no more ed than a kilometer from the ramp either side. We didn't fish any deeper than 6 meters pulled the pin after 3 hours

Well done @Sneaky1. I used to troll hard bodies around those shallow reefs years ago and caught quite a few trout, but usually in the 30s. Managed a 40cm model one day and was stoked, so 45 and 47 on the same day would have made me delirious. Same with the grassies - usually in the 20s and 30s so I reckon a 47 is a top catch. Congrats. The ramp there is a big improvement on that old one that was almost impossible on any sort of northerly.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

Good onya for taking the young fella out. I'd love to be ticking off the target species for both me and my deckies, but that's a rarity. lol

Nice grassie.

Both had a bit of fun thought I would dart up as my Coffs trip chasing dolphin fish got canned , my brother said the wind is due to blow hard on Sunday.  Planning on doing some overnighters  soon around Gladstone and monduran and maybe the Hawkesbury . Will see if I can line up time off with good weather.

39 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Well done @Sneaky1. I used to troll hard bodies around those shallow reefs years ago and caught quite a few trout, but usually in the 30s. Managed a 40cm model one day and was stoked, so 45 and 47 on the same day would have made me delirious. Same with the grassies - usually in the 20s and 30s so I reckon a 47 is a top catch. Congrats. The ramp there is a big improvement on that old one that was almost impossible on any sort of northerly.

Yeah the Grassies there always used to be a lot smaller but the trout I thought were bigger a lot of the trout we used to get there were 50cm plus . My best one was an accident was trolling for mackerel and landed one 61cm off stocks reef. Yeah the new ramp is 100 times better but those boulders are still out the front ( have dinged a couple props on them at low tide) .

On 23/10/2020 at 11:08 PM, Sneaky1 said:

Took a young fella out for a fish up in Hervey bay today , target species was coral trout we managed to land 2 but they were only little fellas 45cm and 47cm I wanted to throw them back but the young fella protested , so I gave them to him. The spots we tried used to produce better sized trout but it still wasn't a bad morning the young fella managed to land a nice Grassie that went 47cm . Hopefully next time I will lock horns with some decent fish.

Nice one mate. Good to get a feed. So good to see you are bringing up the young fella the right way. 

Was good to catch up with him little bugger always used to chew my ear off down the boat ramp, (Not so little anymore) but hopefully I showed him something he can use for future sessions on the water