Testing New Outfit In Thunderstorm

Kat

Hi All

So I decided to test my new outfit in the Thunderstorm this avo.  Last of the run in.  Coombabah Creek.  

Outfit performed well on its first trial run.  Three moses perch and one bream landed.  All unders.  (Tried larger bait but wrong type probably).

I have fished this spot since I started a few months ago and only caught moses perch yesterday and today.  They are beautiful, soft and guts the bait down.  They are small, about 15 to 20cm so can only presume it is the start of the season for them.  That in a month or two I might be getting legals for the dinner plate.  Will do some research but any knowledge about them is appreciated.

Cheers Kat

Hi Kat

Good job, sounds like you like the new outfit.

I have caught Moses Perch in Summer and Winter, but normally when I have caught them you get the odd one when it's cold and heaps when it's hot. They are really bad pickers, and when you find picker bream the tend to be caught together... So basically, if you are just pulling up small Moses Perch and bream all day, you probably won't be able to get that many big ones (as they school I reckon). Hopefully they start growing so you an get a heap of good table sized ones 🙂 

What was the bigger bait you were using?

Cheers Hamish

58 minutes ago, Kat said:

Hi All

So I decided to test my new outfit in the Thunderstorm this avo.  Last of the run in.  Coombabah Creek.  

Outfit performed well on its first trial run.  Three moses perch and one bream landed.  All unders.  (Tried larger bait but wrong type probably).

I have fished this spot since I started a few months ago and only caught moses perch yesterday and today.  They are beautiful, soft and guts the bait down.  They are small, about 15 to 20cm so can only presume it is the start of the season for them.  That in a month or two I might be getting legals for the dinner plate.  Will do some research but any knowledge about them is appreciated.

Cheers Kat

Hi Kat. Well done however did you not see my post about lightning and fishing?

As Another Wazza said, it does become an compulsive obsession. I was heading down that path myself, eventually after much prompting from my wife I sold off about 7 rods and reels which I didn't use much, now I am down to 19 rods! 😀, the essential ones. Now if I do upgrade a setup I sell off an older one. A couple of my friends have way more than I do. One of them has well over a hundred rods, but he enjoys making them and is in to tournament casting,  the other over 50, and he doesn't even go fishing,  just collects them.

Tackle is also the same way, I have an excess but you never know when you need to replace a lost lure or so forth. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it....Right?  I am currently in the process of making another 10 big popper lures. Just in case I lose some! 🤣.

On 24/10/2020 at 7:46 AM, Junky said:

1 hour ago, Junky said:

This is the time of year that Moses, Jacks come to life. It's warming up and that system of canals and all the bridges/pontoons is a perfect sanctuary for them. 

Fish at night. Around the tide changes, even at 1am.

My family isn't happy with me fishing at night by myself and not sure I would feel safe either. 😞lockquote widget

Not too sure if Moses Perch of 15-20cm will reach legal size of 25cm in a month or two?

But they are a pretty fish and good on the chew. I rarely catch many in the GC local estuaries much above legal, but we do get bigger ones on the offshore reefs. Like other fish from the Lutjanus family (aka Mangrove Jacks) they grow up in the estuaries then move offshore hone they get bigger.

Good luck

On 24/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Kat said:

They are small, about 15 to 20cm so can only presume it is the start of the season for them.  That in a month or two I might be getting legals for the dinner plate.

More likely a couple more years til legal size I'd say Kat, unfortunately for you! Also many of them make their way out to the reefs when they get bigger. Jacks and trevally also do this to name a couple off the top of my head