Brisbane River Session #59

AUS-BNE-FISHO

9 minutes ago, Kat said:

Great report Hamish.  I was on the edge of my seat.  Fantastic catch.  After watching the "Mangrove Snapper" video I have been dreaming about using live prawns for bait.  Don't think there is anywhere to cast for them down my way.  More research.

Cheers Kat

Hey Kat

Thanks for that, glad you found it exciting 🙂 

I hope you can find a spot down near you. Maybe somewhere up your creek that you fish in. Prawn season is coming up (well it's still a while away) so you will hopefully find somewhere to catch them. My advice though, if you find a prawn spot, make it Spot X. I don't think a spot on/around the GC where you get prawns would last for long!

Cheers Hamish

9 hours ago, GregOug said:

Well done Hamish! Pardon my ignorance but what is a glassy?

Hi Greg

Glassy is short for glass perch. I have only ever caught catfish on them and I loathe having to use them for bait but I will when there is nothing else on offer.

image.jpeg.d745e4c88befe7cdd5fe180427d56080.jpeg

9 hours ago, jon said:

Nice work mate, those salmon can be hard work at times so really good to see you building up a tally well done.

Hi jon

Thank you, hopefully I can soon land another!

8 minutes ago, Junky said:

Good work Hammish.

Pic 3 could be a front cover. 

Thanks Junky, number three is sure good looking 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

11 hours ago, christophagus said:

Good stuff Hamish. Another thready to the tally

Hi Chris

Thanks for that - hopefully the next is soon.

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice fish mate. Well done. You are going to be the king of Salmon if you keep this up. 

I look forward to seeing some horses brought in. 

Hi Robbie

I sure look forward to it too. If it ever happens 😉 (hopefully)

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great work on the thready Hamish and good to see you've developed a theory on them - no doubt you'll soon work out how reliable it is, good fun 🙂.

Thanks KM, it could work out or it could be a dud, but I think it is more so overcast conditions or drizzle than storm because I had a live mullet out for three hours or so in yesterday's storms for nothing.

Cheers Hamish

50 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for that - hopefully the next is soon.

Hi Robbie

I sure look forward to it too. If it ever happens 😉 (hopefully)

Thanks KM, it could work out or it could be a dud, but I think it is more so overcast conditions or drizzle than storm because I had a live mullet out for three hours or so in yesterday's storms for nothing.

Cheers Hamish

Surely you weren't actually fishing DURING those storms Hamish ......????  I would suspect you may prove your theory correct and it is probably no different to snapper, etc which are more likely to be caught in shallower water during the day if it is overcast, as compared to a bright sunny day. I guess it gives them a larger sense of security/safety.

21 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Surely you weren't actually fishing DURING those storms Hamish ......????  I would suspect you may prove your theory correct and it is probably no different to snapper, etc which are more likely to be caught in shallower water during the day if it is overcast, as compared to a bright sunny day. I guess it gives them a larger sense of security/safety.

Hi KM

On Sunday arvo I was down after the first big cell that hit me, but I got hit by the second cell where there was a bit of lightning and thunder (as well as some heavy rain). I sought refuge under the biggest mangrove tree and in the safe confines of my Kathmandu raincoat. Haha. 

I reckon the reason they bite better in the shallows during the day is something to do with the more baits that are there. Baits normally bust up and stay in shallower water early morning, late arvo, and night, so maybe overcast days help them go like that making the fish bite better.

Cheers Hamish

P.S. The reason I did not stay before is because I did not want a lecture from Greg on fishing with lightning, Lol.