Shark Fishing Guide - How To Target Sharks

The Mad Hughesy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

any luck mate? 

Yesterday i was at a spot with @AUS-BNE-FISHOand we hooked up to a bully but it bit through the 80lb leader. 

I have not been able to get a cast net yet - the ad on gumtree i was looking into purchasing was of course already sold to someone. 

- Cheers Charlie. 

@christophagus has a good long write up at the start of this post which explains his choice of reel size vs shark size, primarily the bigger the shark the bigger the reel. So it all depends on what sized shark you expect/hope to catch in the area you intend to fish in. Realistically, if all the sharks that are caught in that area that you are fishing in are small, then  probably no point in a large size reel, occasionally you might get smoked but a smallish reel should handle most of the smaller sharks, with a bit more sport/fun rather than skull dragging them in with a large reel.

If however you go to a surf beach or mouth of a large river system where larger sharks are cruising and caught then opt for a bigger reel. As you said "Spinfisher" you are referring to Penn reels so a 6500 sized reel should provide a happy compromise for larger sharks (does not mean really large sharks) whilst still be able to be used for general fishing such as for Macks, Trevally, Mullaway etc.  That model range goes up to the 10500 size which are a really  large reel. My preference are the Liveliners in the Penn Spinfisher range as they allow you to let the shark run then with just a little drag then strike with a full preset drag. If you do go for a larger spinning reel, then make sure you get a rod that is designed for larger reels, ie; the guides are spaced in the right positions and are of the right size so you get minimal line slap when casting.

But if you are setting your sights on large to really large sharks then overheads would be the way to go, provided you are fishing in an area where they hang out regularly. They will not cast anywhere near as far as spinning reels but are better to use in my opinion. This is just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Ed.

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

That's a pretty good guide, I do things a little different but I mostly only small differences and I tend to fish land based and that changes things quite a bit. 

But we have pulled up 3m tiger sharks on 15lb mono from a boat. 

Do you ever target them from the land? 

ive got no boat now so yeah. only small stuff lately as ive got young kids so sessions are few and far between

When land based I found I had to gear up a bit, mostly because you needed about 300-350m of line and you needed heavier gear to turn their heads. 

Anything 1.5m and under wasn't a problem but for anything in the 1.8m-3.5m size you really had to put your back into it to keep them from spooling you. 

The underwater topography changes things too, rocky or coral bottoms posed a big problem or bringing them into a jetty. 

If you bought them into a jetty when they still had fight in them then they would wrap you up and snap you off. 

But if you tired them out and brought them in near the surface then you could hold them there to get a good look before cutting them free. 

20 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

When land based I found I had to gear up a bit, mostly because you needed about 300-350m of line and you needed heavier gear to turn their heads. 

Anything 1.5m and under wasn't a problem but for anything in the 1.8m-3.5m size you really had to put your back into it to keep them from spooling you. 

The underwater topography changes things too, rocky or coral bottoms posed a big problem or bringing them into a jetty. 

If you bought them into a jetty when they still had fight in them then they would wrap you up and snap you off. 

But if you tired them out and brought them in near the surface then you could hold them there to get a good look before cutting them free. 

you could really go into a lot more details like you've mentioned. I've encountered people having to kayak out mid fight to pull a shark over the drop off as they were essentially stuck on it and couldn't lift it over the drop off

Oh he loved it, he never thought he would ever catch anything bigger then the regular stuff. 

He actually bought that boat when I moved south, and a big rod and he's still catching them today. 

Once you get a monster hooked then your hooked for life. 

I highly recommend shark fishing as some of the best sports fishing around, but I also highly endorse catch and release as you can't eat the big ones. 

The little ones around the 1m mark however are brilliant eating, and that's coming from a guy that very very rarely eats fish. 

• 1 year later...