Tips For Driving Boat On Trailer | Dunbier Loader Pro

Ryannnnnnnn

Hi guys,

My new 6.3m boat is coming on a dual axle dunbier loader pro trailer, designed to drive on and off. On my smaller boat I've always manually pulled the boat onto the trailer via the winch.

Using the drive on / off method is all new to me. Are there any tricks anyone can give me? Had a few specific questions

1. When unloading, how far back do you have the trailer in the water? Is there a point to get submerged that works best? I'd normally just reverse back so that my rear ute tires are near the water edge?

2. When loading, how far back do you have the trailer in the water? Is it say, when the first or second skid is submerged?

3. I've always had my motor trimmed right up when pushing / pulling it on/off the trailer. With driving on / off needing to have the prop in the water, is there any tips to avoid hitting the prop on the bottom?

Cheers

Hey Ryannnn,

When unloading you don't need the trailer in the water that far. @Old Scaley barely puts the trailer tyres in the water. His trailer will last a lot longer than mine 🙂. you will need the prop in the water so you can back off. 

When retrieving the boat you have to get it right. Too deep and the boat just floats around and wont sit on the rollers in the right spot, too shallow and the nose rises up and you risk hitting the prop on the ramp even when tipped. It might take you a few goes but you will get the goldilocks feel for it. 

You will need to trim the motor up a little. some boats do it up until it goes to the second speed tilt thing (technical talk) If it is right down it often tips up as you accelerate and you can hit the prop on the ramp. Ouch. 

Don't be scared of it, just take it slow and it will work out. One tip is to make sure your motor is straight not turned to one side. 

Will you be on your own or will you have help? there are a fair few systems that catch the front of the boat automatically. 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Ryannnn,

When unloading you don't need the trailer in the water that far. @Old Scaley barely puts the trailer tyres in the water. His trailer will last a lot longer than mine 🙂. you will need the prop in the water so you can back off. 

When retrieving the boat you have to get it right. Too deep and the boat just floats around and wont sit on the rollers in the right spot, too shallow and the nose rises up and you risk hitting the prop on the ramp even when tipped. It might take you a few goes but you will get the goldilocks feel for it. 

You will need to trim the motor up a little. some boats do it up until it goes to the second speed tilt thing (technical talk) If it is right down it often tips up as you accelerate and you can hit the prop on the ramp. Ouch. 

Don't be scared of it, just take it slow and it will work out. One tip is to make sure your motor is straight not turned to one side. 

Will you be on your own or will you have help? there are a fair few systems that catch the front of the boat automatically. 

Great advice thanks dropbear will keep that in mind. Will have the Mrs with me, so I'll be Spear heading the operation haha 😬

I launch and retrieve by myself. 

Never wound my boat on yet. No way. 

Launching.

I always stuffed around trying not to dunk the rear axle but that caused the boat to tip off, rather than just slide off.

Ramps differ in angle. I bashed the skeg one day and decided from then on its getting dunked, pretty much the rear tyres underwater. 

Same depth when retrieving. 

It's all in the approach. 

Firstly, car in gear with hand brake on. I put my 4bee in low. 

Secondly, tell the bloke who just docked in behind your trailer that hes about to get blown to the back of the pontoon.

He may look at you funny however the warning was given. Its now up to him to work it out. You just keep smiling as you step back on board. 

Now trim the engine to shallow water. 

Calm days, no dramas. Line yourself up with the trailer and drive into position. 

Windy days, different story.

It's like putting in golf, sort of. 

You need to now allow for sideways drift, this can also be the case in high current areas such as jacobs well. 

If you miss, then simply reverse out and start again, cept now your ordience is growing. 

I come in to my trailer sometimes with the vessel nearly at a 20° angle to the trailer, while being blown at 45° on the approach. It's good fun in a tinny. Sucked big time in the glassy. 

The idea is to bump the keel/hull on the first lot of rollers and come to a stop. You don't want to evil canivel it up the trailer.  

Once you're there, keep it in gear and look back to make sure you're engine is straight. You'll get to know it is by the way the vessel is sitting against the trailer but I always spin around and visually check. This is important otherwise your hull will be in for some hurt. I've seen it happen. 

Now apply throttle and the vessel will start to drive up the trailer. 

It may stop well before the winch post so apply more throttle.

This is about the time when old mate you warned previously is now struggling to hold onto his craft and about to go for a swim. 

When you've bumped the which post or are close to it, leave the throttle powering on. 

Climb out and over the bow, down onto the trailer. 

Hook your which on, do up the chain and climb back up. 

As you walk around to the helm, check on old mate and see how he's strength is holding up. 

Back off throttle, make sure car is holding and shut down. 

I can launch and retrieve a 6m plate by myself quicker than 2 people with a jetski. 

I hate messing round in ramps. 

Get in, get out. 

Another thing with your trailer. 

If I were you I would cover it in tectyl 506. Litterally spray everything that has a gal coating, inside and out. Do it on gravel or somewhere that can cop it dripping. 

That stuff is worth it's weight in gold. And it is gold, in color. Apply at least once a year.

Also, get rid of those poxy bearing buddy rip offs that dunbier use and put propper branded bearing buddies on. The made in USA ones. 

18 hours ago, Junky said:

I launch and retrieve by myself. 

Never wound my boat on yet. No way. 

Launching.

I always stuffed around trying not to dunk the rear axle but that caused the boat to tip off, rather than just slide off.

Ramps differ in angle. I bashed the skeg one day and decided from then on its getting dunked, pretty much the rear tyres underwater. 

Same depth when retrieving. 

It's all in the approach. 

Firstly, car in gear with hand brake on. I put my 4bee in low. 

Secondly, tell the bloke who just docked in behind your trailer that hes about to get blown to the back of the pontoon.

He may look at you funny however the warning was given. Its now up to him to work it out. You just keep smiling as you step back on board. 

Now trim the engine to shallow water. 

Calm days, no dramas. Line yourself up with the trailer and drive into position. 

Windy days, different story.

It's like putting in golf, sort of. 

You need to now allow for sideways drift, this can also be the case in high current areas such as jacobs well. 

If you miss, then simply reverse out and start again, cept now your ordience is growing. 

I come in to my trailer sometimes with the vessel nearly at a 20° angle to the trailer, while being blown at 45° on the approach. It's good fun in a tinny. Sucked big time in the glassy. 

The idea is to bump the keel/hull on the first lot of rollers and come to a stop. You don't want to evil canivel it up the trailer.  

Once you're there, keep it in gear and look back to make sure you're engine is straight. You'll get to know it is by the way the vessel is sitting against the trailer but I always spin around and visually check. This is important otherwise your hull will be in for some hurt. I've seen it happen. 

Now apply throttle and the vessel will start to drive up the trailer. 

It may stop well before the winch post so apply more throttle.

This is about the time when old mate you warned previously is now struggling to hold onto his craft and about to go for a swim. 

When you've bumped the which post or are close to it, leave the throttle powering on. 

Climb out and over the bow, down onto the trailer. 

Hook your which on, do up the chain and climb back up. 

As you walk around to the helm, check on old mate and see how he's strength is holding up. 

Back off throttle, make sure car is holding and shut down. 

I can launch and retrieve a 6m plate by myself quicker than 2 people with a jetski. 

I hate messing round in ramps. 

Get in, get out. 

Another thing with your trailer. 

If I were you I would cover it in tectyl 506. Litterally spray everything that has a gal coating, inside and out. Do it on gravel or somewhere that can cop it dripping. 

That stuff is worth it's weight in gold. And it is gold, in color. Apply at least once a year.

Also, get rid of those poxy bearing buddy rip offs that dunbier use and put propper branded bearing buddies on. The made in USA ones. 

Definitely some value bombs in there junky, great tips. Definitely going to get some of that tectyl 506!

Hi Ryan,

I have about the same size boat as you are getting and usually drive it off and back on. I just reverse the trailer to the same point I would usually use if winching on/pushing off, ie the car wheels within a foot or so of the waters edge. Just remember to trim your motor right up when driving off and on. Works for me.

cheers

Greg

On 05/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, GregOug said:

Hi Ryan,

I have about the same size boat as you are getting and usually drive it off and back on. I just reverse the trailer to the same point I would usually use if winching on/pushing off, ie the car wheels within a foot or so of the waters edge. Just remember to trim your motor right up when driving off and on. Works for me.

cheers

Greg

Thanks @GregOug ! Got the boat on the weekend, might have to post up some pics!