Get Knotted

ellicat

Top day out @ellicat. I still can’t believe that we managed to boat your mackerel despite having pretty much every rod caught up in the debacle. I was really happy with my new rod and can’t wait to test it out again soon.

Fish are now filleted and packed, I am showered and beered so off for a nap before I pull on the maroon jersey ready to inflict humiliation on the Blues tonight.

Nice work Brian, it almost looks like you were about to crack a smile holding that fish 😂, now we just need Dropbear to put the finishing touches on that photo.

Did Steve release the Slatey?, I’ve heard a few conflicting opinions from people regarding their edibility, I’ve always just let them go though.

10 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Did Steve release the Slatey?, I’ve heard a few conflicting opinions from people regarding their edibility, I’ve always just let them go though.

It was bled and released to the esky. People say they are rubbish but I kept a 50 years ago and it was quite alright, so I made Steve take it.

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

It was bled and released to the esky. People say they are rubbish but I kept a 50 years ago and it was quite alright, so I made Steve take it.

I love them. they have a strong blood line in them that I think puts people off (not Drop Bears) but they are sweet and moist. 

They are hard to beat in a curry. Soft flesh with a good mouth feel.

I probably shouldn't be encouraging people to eat them.... that way there is more for the Drop Bears....

44 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I love them. they have a strong blood line in them that I think puts people off (not Drop Bears) but they are sweet and moist. 

They are hard to beat in a curry. Soft flesh with a good mouth feel.

I probably shouldn't be encouraging people to eat them.... that way there is more for the Drop Bears....

Just finished eating some of the slatey. Dusted fillets with paprika, a bit of salt, cracked pepper and cooked in lemon butter and it was delicious. I will have more time tomorrow so will add a mango salsa.Cod on the menu Friday night and the macky is cryovacced in the freezer ready for curries and fish soup. Not red emperor or tuskies but good enough for me.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

Hit up the Rous channel this morning with @Old Scaley to see if the mackerel were on. A bit of a choppy ride over from Manly with the wind against tide. The forecast was pretty good with sub 10 knots for much of the day. Plan was to get there earlyish and be back before lunch so we had time for a nap before the State of Origin game tonight.

We deployed our pillies on gangs under a float in the strong current and waited while we had some croissants for breakfast. Steve landed one of those little tailor that you know would make a great bait but you have to let them go. I was berleying hard, but nothing much was doing so Steve had a play with some metal on his other rod. Next thing you know he is on to something from down low and this 40cm cod came onboard -

20201111_120938a.thumb.jpg.dbf470ea9b08013422e9621b5bc397c7.jpg

Then Steve decides to put a dodgy looking pillie, meant for berley, on some gangs and fish the bottom with his new rod. Not expecting much I was surprised when his new rod buckled over. Early call of snapper, then maybe a ray, then it surfaced after a good fight. A 59cm Slatey

-

20201111_090656a.thumb.jpg.e548f3d4f593f2e5f368e1d11eaedd55.jpg

I managed to get off the donut with an unders squire so put that rod away so as not to waist bait.

Things were once again slow and we said we'd get moving soon and have a fish at Harry's or Green on the way back. A few minutes later I got a hit on the mack rod which I didn't think was going to be much, but soon realised it was just swimming towards me. I tightened up the line and then it was on for all money. As it got close to the boat it went berserk and I lost it to a snipped leader. Bugger.

So now we knew they were about Steve got his new setup deployed and soon enough he got a hookup. A few run ins with the other rods in the holders and a brief tangle with first the slug hanging off his other rod and then my squid jig rod caused some anxious moments. Finally alongside I christened my new gaff and sank it into the quivering flesh of a tasty school mackerel. -

20201111_120710a.thumb.jpg.994b75192dae762d1af28357487dd013.jpg

The tide had now turned and so had the boat, so a few extra shakes of the berley pot were made. Not long after, while Steve was measuring his mackerel, my float went down and again the fish swam towards me. As I got it close to the boat my line picked up Steve's line and a God Almighty mess of braid and leader ensued. At one stage Steve's knotted mess of braid was two runners down onto my rod. What a debacle ! As I couldn't wind my line in far enough, gaffing was proving difficult, so in the end Steve grabbed the leader and swung a nice 69cm schoolie into the boat. Finally I had a fish to take home.

20201111_120856a.thumb.jpg.c75af31b5497b0194ca83e8784ad0f9c.jpg

The bay had glassed out a bit earlier but was now getting a few waves. We cleaned up the boat and headed for home, satisfied with a top morning's work and play.

Great conditions, great company and a great day to be out there.

Good job guys , nothing like some tangles to test your sense of humour

19 hours ago, ellicat said:

Hit up the Rous channel this morning with @Old Scaley to see if the mackerel were on. A bit of a choppy ride over from Manly with the wind against tide. The forecast was pretty good with sub 10 knots for much of the day. Plan was to get there earlyish and be back before lunch so we had time for a nap before the State of Origin game tonight.

We deployed our pillies on gangs under a float in the strong current and waited while we had some croissants for breakfast. Steve landed one of those little tailor that you know would make a great bait but you have to let them go. I was berleying hard, but nothing much was doing so Steve had a play with some metal on his other rod. Next thing you know he is on to something from down low and this 40cm cod came onboard -

20201111_120938a.thumb.jpg.dbf470ea9b08013422e9621b5bc397c7.jpg

Then Steve decides to put a dodgy looking pillie, meant for berley, on some gangs and fish the bottom with his new rod. Not expecting much I was surprised when his new rod buckled over. Early call of snapper, then maybe a ray, then it surfaced after a good fight. A 59cm Slatey

-

20201111_090656a.thumb.jpg.e548f3d4f593f2e5f368e1d11eaedd55.jpg

I managed to get off the donut with an unders squire so put that rod away so as not to waist bait.

Things were once again slow and we said we'd get moving soon and have a fish at Harry's or Green on the way back. A few minutes later I got a hit on the mack rod which I didn't think was going to be much, but soon realised it was just swimming towards me. I tightened up the line and then it was on for all money. As it got close to the boat it went berserk and I lost it to a snipped leader. Bugger.

So now we knew they were about Steve got his new setup deployed and soon enough he got a hookup. A few run ins with the other rods in the holders and a brief tangle with first the slug hanging off his other rod and then my squid jig rod caused some anxious moments. Finally alongside I christened my new gaff and sank it into the quivering flesh of a tasty school mackerel. -

20201111_120710a.thumb.jpg.994b75192dae762d1af28357487dd013.jpg

The tide had now turned and so had the boat, so a few extra shakes of the berley pot were made. Not long after, while Steve was measuring his mackerel, my float went down and again the fish swam towards me. As I got it close to the boat my line picked up Steve's line and a God Almighty mess of braid and leader ensued. At one stage Steve's knotted mess of braid was two runners down onto my rod. What a debacle ! As I couldn't wind my line in far enough, gaffing was proving difficult, so in the end Steve grabbed the leader and swung a nice 69cm schoolie into the boat. Finally I had a fish to take home.

20201111_120856a.thumb.jpg.c75af31b5497b0194ca83e8784ad0f9c.jpg

The bay had glassed out a bit earlier but was now getting a few waves. We cleaned up the boat and headed for home, satisfied with a top morning's work and play.

Great conditions, great company and a great day to be out there.

Nice work lads

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha see @kmcrosby78 its not just me! 

I agree with you mate. One of my favourite fish to eat is yellow tail pike, you just need to know how to cook them. 

🙂

Interesting. 

You know when I rip the fillets off them I wonder what they'd be like. 

Righto, give us the filleting/boneing down low and I'll give em a go next time. 

Nice clear meat. 

On 13/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Junky said:

Interesting. 

You know when I rip the fillets off them I wonder what they'd be like. 

Righto, give us the filleting/boneing down low and I'll give em a go next time. 

Nice clear meat. 

Well i just fillet them like any fish and take out the pin bones. 

Then dust in a mix of Potato starch salt and pepper and a little curry powder

The trick is to use a bit more oil than you might normally and fry them till golden and a little crispy. I little mayonnaise with them is good too. 

I caught about 20 pike a while ago. Was putting them in the freezer to use for future bait.

Decided to fillet half a dozen of them to see what they taste like. Didn't do anything fancy. Just a bit of flour and in the fry pan with a bit of oil. Was very surprised. Absoulutely  beautiful. Haven't caught any more since.

14 hours ago, Kenne said:

I caught about 20 pike a while ago. Was putting them in the freezer to use for future bait.

Decided to fillet half a dozen of them to see what they taste like. Didn't do anything fancy. Just a bit of flour and in the fry pan with a bit of oil. Was very surprised. Absoulutely  beautiful. Haven't caught any more since.

Good one Kenne,

Yep I cop a bit for all the unusual fish I eat haha but Pike are better than most give credit for. 

At one stage I was targeting them haha. I would just go out to green, catch 10 or so and that was it.