My New Boat

Ryannnnnnnn

Great looking rig mate, make sure you yell out if you're ever short of mates... 😂 with 250L of fuel, you should be able to get to some more distant destinations for sure.  Look forward to reading your first report from 1770, offshore from fraser or similar.

agree with @Junky - preventitive maintenance on the trailer will pay you back big time over the years.

@Junky, which tectyl do you use and how do you get it inside the crossmembers? Because my boat is only a 4.35m tinny, it is easy to launch and retrieve at most ramps without getting the bearings or the trailer wet, but I am still fanatical about maintenance. I do this for longevity and safety. My last trailer used to get a dunking and lasted 11 years and was still not too bad when I sold it. The current trailer is 3 years old and apart from a bit of surface rust on a couple of bolts it is as good as new. I hope to get 20+ years out of this one so some tectyl couldn’t hurt.

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

Great looking rig mate, make sure you yell out if you're ever short of mates... 😂 with 250L of fuel, you should be able to get to some more distant destinations for sure.  Look forward to reading your first report from 1770, offshore from fraser or similar.

agree with @Junky - preventitive maintenance on the trailer will pay you back big time over the years.

Thanks @benno573 sounds good I'm definitely short on fishing mates. Always keen to learn from more experienced fishos! 

7 hours ago, Junky said:

Nice. I love new boats. 

Same trailer as mine. 

Now roll the boat off the trailer onto some 4bee tires and get that trailer covered in tectyl inside and out. 

Also remove all post bolts, one at a time so you don't mess with the adjustment, and coat with marine grease, do roller shafts as well and fit stainless split pins to roller shafts, otherwise when it comes time to service them you will be in for a headache.  

Repeat annually. 

You can see the quallity if the gal on mine.  This is current today. Imagine all those spotty bits were a white looking powder. 

I am a pedantic cleaner of trailers and no amount of cleaning could stop the gal from rusting. 

It's called white rust and it is detrimental to trailers. It looks like a white powder build up on the gal. 

20201117_062324.thumb.jpg.10586f33c5a01823b7c871606cb8c5f6.jpg

I had to completely strip my trailer and wire wheel it all off. Big job. 

Repainted 2 coats in bad spots with penatrol mixed with silver rust kill then drowned in tectyl. Massive job. 

This was the day of finished coating things. 

20200411_132612.thumb.jpg.c6d6b7ee2fadb84ad4ade27298ae1dbb.jpg

12 months on and it still looks nice and clean. 

Wish I did it on day one. 

Does tectyl stay sticky? And does it collect dirt and sand like fish oil? 

Innox is nice to use but in my experience with innox is it just washes away after a few dunkings. 

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

@Junky, which tectyl do you use and how do you get it inside the crossmembers? Because my boat is only a 4.35m tinny, it is easy to launch and retrieve at most ramps without getting the bearings or the trailer wet, but I am still fanatical about maintenance. I do this for longevity and safety. My last trailer used to get a dunking and lasted 11 years and was still not too bad when I sold it. The current trailer is 3 years old and apart from a bit of surface rust on a couple of bolts it is as good as new. I hope to get 20+ years out of this one so some tectyl couldn’t hurt.

I use a small plastic tube about 500mm long. 

Get them from a hobby shop. They use them to run push rods through on servo's in rc toys. 

Tectyl 506.

585673016_Screenshot_20200329-151013_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.34c825c503a12e88c2edde017f6860a1.jpg

6 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Does tectyl stay sticky? And does it collect dirt and sand like fish oil? 

Innox is nice to use but in my experience with innox is it just washes away after a few dunkings. 

No mate. 

It may be still soft so to speak but nothing sticks to it. It does gather at the bottom of the RHS sections in big blobs, but they're still not sticky. 

Water also beads off. 

I did my trailer 12 months ago and it looks like the day I did it. I've done some serious k's too. Dirt roads etc. 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate that is a great looking boat. I bet it will see some awesome trips.

Do you think you could sleep 2 in there? 

Thanks @Drop Bear absolutely the wife can easily fit too. There's extended cushions too which isn't in the pics so if you did want more length they can extend the sleeping area right up to the helm seats

On 16/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, Ryannnnnnnn said:

We also put in a travel buddy marine oven, which is mounted in the under seat storage so we've been smashing hot croissants and pies while on the water! Amazing being on the water and smelling something cooking up. 

Yum. That would be awesome for extended trips. If you took some butter, salt and some foil you could eat your catch out there with no mess or fuss. Cracking addition. 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yum. That would be awesome for extended trips. If you took some butter, salt and some foil you could eat your catch out there with no mess or fuss. Cracking addition. 

Absolutely! I thought you guys might like that feature. For anyone interested here's the model I got http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/

It's wired to my two batteries. 

Some people put them in their cars as well