ellicat

PS

The maori cod was 50cm. Can't remember what the tusky was, but it was well legal.

Another tusky was boated right on 30 so we let that one go and Steve also got a legal Moses perch that went back too.

There were no knots today either, just to make the day that much better than last week.

Another magic day on the water with @ellicat. Even though we only came home with 2 keepers there was heaps of action. I would love to know what that freight train I lost was. Pretty sure it could have eaten the Maori cod for breakfast. I gave the cod a proper measure when I got home and it went 53cm and 2.6kg. It was a fat little fella and I have got some nice fillets from it. The tuskie was 40cm from memory. I hope you enjoy it it mate. I reckon we will visit UBEAUTY1A again soon. We are close to nailing that spot.

Shame you didn't get a look at the big fella that was stripping the line ,  good feed of reefies is always a bonus. If your looking for mackerel  I had the binoculars out this morning between jobs , there was a couple boats getting a few around woorim .

Looks like you had a nice day out love catching reefies good job on the cod those things are a pain because soon as you hook them they go straight to structure looks like you had a good day fishing better then me anyway .today I got 4 undersize bream and my dad got a decent tailor on a 2 inch plastic on another rod I bought with me but it came off 

1 hour ago, Sneaky1 said:

Shame you didn't get a look at the big fella that was stripping the line ,  good feed of reefies is always a bonus. If your looking for mackerel  I had the binoculars out this morning between jobs , there was a couple boats getting a few around woorim .

Yes, it will remain a mystery fish unfortunately. I took the binos out today too, but there weren't too many boats around to look at. Not that that's a bad thing.

22 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Looks like you had a nice day out love catching reefies good job on the cod those things are a pain because soon as you hook them they go straight to structure looks like you had a good day fishing better then me anyway .today I got 4 undersize bream and my dad got a decent tailor on a 2 inch plastic on another rod I bought with me but it came off 

Cheers.

We got plenty of undersized fish too.

Shame about the tailor.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Yes, it will remain a mystery fish unfortunately. I took the binos out today too, but there weren't too many boats around to look at. Not that that's a bad thing.

Yeah I was surprised there wasn't more boats out , looked nice in the morning .I'm thinking of wagging work on Friday and wetting a line weather permitting 

Nice work there gentleman, was that the first time catching a maori cod at that spot (or in the Rous in general)? Be interesting to know if they are more a summer species or whether you could get them there in winter as well. Looks like you've got yourself a nice spot - well done, that's half the battle 🙂 

Oh and the big question is (drumroll .....) ...... who did @ellicat tell his wife caught the tusky ....... ? 🙃😀

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Cheers.

We got plenty of undersized fish too.

Shame about the tailor.

It makes you  wonder whether,  in a couple years, the undersized fish will have grown up sufficiently to be keepers and Moreton Bay a fishing haven. I mean, surely all those just under grassies, squire, etc etc can’t all get eaten by something else? So why aren’t there great numbers of larger fish already? Have conditions improved in the bay only in the last couple of years, and hence all the young fish? Any ideas anyone?

8 hours ago, GregOug said:

It makes you  wonder whether,  in a couple years, the undersized fish will have grown up sufficiently to be keepers and Moreton Bay a fishing haven. I mean, surely all those just under grassies, squire, etc etc can’t all get eaten by something else? So why aren’t there great numbers of larger fish already? Have conditions improved in the bay only in the last couple of years, and hence all the young fish? Any ideas anyone?

I still recon it's because it's getting flogged hard. The food sources for the marine life are being stripped by the day. 

Trawlers the size of ocean liners killing our oceans. These ships need to be sunk, now! 

Don't get me started on our friends from the north coming in and picking up every living creature on the shore line. They're as bad as trawlers. I realise it's not all of them but their culture around oceans is speaks for itself. Fished out. 

Don't believe me, go for a walk over the sand flats north of 1mile on Straddie. What was once a shore line alive with critters is now a bare bank with the odd critter. Same goes for mainland shorelines. 

The food is being stripped right in front of us and our piss weak burocrates won't stand up to it because of this "racist" card being thrown out all the time, but only against Australians. 

I've seen it.

Locals on strad have seen it. 

Being the nice guy will cost us in the end.

We need leaders with balls, not latte sipping vegans with 5 different colors in their hair who can't work out if they're a man or woman. 

Rant out.

1 hour ago, Junky said:

Nice fish BTW fellas. 

Maori cod in the bay. First I've seen. Well done. 

Delicious fish too. Hopefully the reds follow them down here.

I have caught them in the Bay before, mostly around Mud Island, but this was only the second legal one (minimum size is 45cm). We must have been on top of a school of them because we caught a few (around 8?) in quick time. And, yes, it is delicious. 

13 hours ago, GregOug said:

The bay's a good breeding ground. As the snapper get older (bigger) most move offshore to the reefs. A few hang around though and they're the ones we want to get, or the breeders when they come in to do their thing in winter.

I don't think things haven't improved in Bay. I don't know if it's just me but a decade ago I used to regularly be able to bring a feed of squire home. Since I got the new boat I have struggled and only 2 legals have come aboard. Lucky there's a few other species to target/hope for.

There's plenty of juveniles, that's for sure. Plenty of people who have worked out when, where and how to find and catch the resident bigger specimens are able to consistently get good fish, though.

As far as the 'science' goes, Fisheries have determined that in the southeast corner of Qld both snapper and pearl perch are 'vulnerable', hence the closure in July/August. That indicates it is getting tougher now to bring home a feed than it was a decade ago.

It will be interesting to see in a couple of years if the numbers improve as a consequence of the closure.

Nice work good eating fish to, how good to the tuskies fight even when there small they go hard Especially if your in the shallows. If you can be bothered take a pair of rubber tipped tongs and get yourself some purple rock crabs from any rocky foreshore and your tusky catch will in crease by a metric buttload (scientific measurement!).

1 minute ago, jon said:

Nice work good eating fish to, how good to the tuskies fight even when there small they go hard Especially if your in the shallows. If you can be bothered take a pair of rubber tipped tongs and get yourself some purple rock crabs from any rocky foreshore and your tusky catch will in crease by a metric buttload (scientific measurement!).

My father, uncle and grandfather used to catch the giant parrot in the bay when I was young. I’m talking about parrot of twenty pounds plus. Not sure if these are the tuskies we catch today in much smaller sizes but they looked like them. My uncle had a house on the foreshore at Dunwich. Anyway, I distinctly remember (which is very rare for me, by the way) taking torches and catching the ghost crabs as they sat mesmerised by the light. They used these for catching the huge tuskies. My uncle also used to keep paint cans filled with mullet gut which he used to leave in his shed uncovered for months before it was ready for use catching all types of fish.

13 minutes ago, jon said:

Thanks, Sef. Plans are already afoot on the crab front. haha

It would be nice to catch them by the metric buttload.